smeagolsfree

N. Capitol/Germantown/Salemtown/Metro-Center/Elizabeth Park/HBV& Points North

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah...I'm looking at that and wondering what in the world they were thinking.

I thought is was a jail, especially with no windows on the side.  What were they thinking?

• Like 1

Its not my favorite design - but I think most of the money went into the main infrastructure. This was all steel beams... no stick framing on this thing. For at least that, I am appreciative. 

This is DJ's first project of this scale, and I'm listing some spec homes he's designed, and they are much better. So we'll see with his other properties what ends up happening.

• Like 2

The restaurant development that will include several eateries at the SE corner of Taylor and 6th Avenue North in Germantown.

Looking west along Taylor Street:

Restaurant project Germantown 1, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

Looking SW from Taylor Street:

Restaurant project Germantown 2, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

Looking east from 6th Ave. North:

Restaurant project Germantown 3, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

Looking east from 6th Ave. North a bit further south on the block:

Restaurant project Germantown 4, Dec 25, 2016.JPG

• Like 1

On Monday, January 09, 2017 at 1:25 PM, mundiejc said:

Its not my favorite design - but I think most of the money went into the main infrastructure. This was all steel beams... no stick framing on this thing. For at least that, I am appreciative. 

This is DJ's first project of this scale, and I'm listing some spec homes he's designed, and they are much better. So we'll see with his other properties what ends up happening.

DJ did not design this project, doesn't own it, and didn't finance it.  He's a front man plain and simple.  This project stands out like a sore thumb compared to the other buildings on Jefferson St.

Edited by think365
  • Like 4

Someone on Reddit said Fresh Market grocery is going to Germantown in one of the new mix used, unconfirmed but the poster was knowledgeable about other grocery locations downtown and in the pipeline. 

31 minutes ago, HGMIII said:

Someone on Reddit said Fresh Market grocery is going to Germantown in one of the new mix used, unconfirmed but the poster was knowledgeable about other grocery locations downtown and in the pipeline. 

That's also been mentioned on here.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

^I'm think it's Historic Buena Vista  (correctly pronounced BOON-ah VIST-ah).  It's Northwest of Bicentennial Mall bounded by Rosa Parks, Jefferson and I-40.

When I lived in North Nashville, Neigeville2, and attended North High School (briefly during the mid-1960s), which had been located in Buena Vista, it was called "Byoona Visstuh", as natives simply "perpetually perpetrated" through family generations, the localized pronunciation of name.  (yes, UTgrad09, that was before it became "Historic Buena Vista", so yes I'm ancient ─ "ancienter" than the Smeags)  They just would not (rather than, could not) break the pattern of  corrupting the diphthongizing (yes, that is an acceptable gerund of the noun "diphthong") the "ue" as "way", and the "is" as "ees" in the Spanish pronunciation.  I think I actually might have heard it also called "BOON-ah" by "Thick-speaking" older locals.  Fact is, it's correct as Anglicized, while I always have hated it.  It's not as if the locals voted for their preferred pronunciation, as did the Buena Vista, CO Chamber of Commerce, but rather it likely was the result of the local practice of Anglicizing every proper noun.  Even the city-bus drivers back then (before the Nashville Transit Co. became the MTA) would pronounce it as such, and the bold typeface destination sign bearing the same as the namesake of the bus route probably played a role in riders assuming the pronunciation, particularly to keep from being ridiculed for pronouncing it as the Spanish may have intended the phrase "beautiful view".  The word "vista" alone, doesn't sound so bad, since it is typical of English loan words.

I think a more profane pronunciation of a name is "BUCK-annon" for "Buchanan" Street, and I would suppose that President James Buchanan would not have thought favorably of that either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Technically, anything east of I-65 is considered East Nashville.  This is another good development for that area just south of Fern Avenue.  Beautiful views of downtown from there.

• Like 2

From today's Tennessean:

The MDHA design committee will also again consider a roughly 17-unit townhome project at 915 Monroe Street in North Nashville's Hisotric Buena Vista neighborhood for which the boy approved the conceptual design a year ago.

915 Monroe Street Townhomes render, Jan 2017.png

915 Monroe townhomes render 2, Jan 2017.jpg

915 Monroe townhomes render, Jan 2017.JPG

• Like 3

I thought I had posted this. Found this last week about what existed on the land that is now Metro Center.  I believe a horse track preceded this, sometime back in the 1800s, but an airport?  I found this by accident. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TN/Airfields_TN_C.htm#cumberland

And the first city airport (McConnell Field) was located where McCabe golf course is now. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TN/Airfields_TN_C.htm

It's a pretty cool site.  If you're into this sort of stuff, check out the history of the Ft. Worth airports.  Amon Carter International (aka Greater Southwest International) was a spectacular airport that was short lived. The history of DFW International is one of government mismanagement and waste.  Interesting! http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_FtWorth_NE.htm#greaterSW

Main page.... http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Mark, give me the location of Paddock View. I think I have it wrong on the map

I think the property extends just a bit further to the west, but overall, I think you've got it right.  The area to the east near the expressway behind the Waffle House is still sitting empty, but they do have plans for it in a Phase II rollout.