Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Anybody know if there is anything planned for those two big parking lots next to the Trolly Barns?

I would not think there is because they recently paved that whole area into a parking lot. It might be parking for the Trolly Barns?

Sorry that it is a photo of a car, but this was a popular place to take photos of cars so I used it a few times....As you can tell it used to be even worse. I know a parking lot is not ideal, but I will take it over what it was for now.

5917201759_ff2e059359_b.jpg

HellaBeat by 00Accord4cyl, on Flickr

I don't mean to sound uppity here, though I'm sure I probably do, but living in Chicago where, unless its some large mega development, most people just dont even give a second thought to just finding a place to park on the street somewhere within a couple block radius of your destination, it strikes me as sorta strange when most people expect every development to have dedicated parking...whether its in the form of a lot or an above/under ground garage.

^That's crazy! No way that would ever fly here. I would love to see how that conversation goes between a realtor and a potential buyer/renter that they would have to park several blocks away from their house. Lol!

I could see maybe 1 block. Well...not really. But several! That's a tough sell...

Most older cities in the country have similar situations. In S.F., if there is even designated parking avaliable, it is usually a seperate rent fee. One apartment I looked at, there were 2 options avaliable. The first was to have your parking space at waist level (for $1200/month) and the second was to have to park it in an auto elevator, where it was stacked above someone else's car ($900/month). Otherwise, you were on your own.

I hope Nashville never gets to that point.

I spent last week in Oklahoma City.  Here are a couple of photos of the Devon Energy tower.  Nice building, although it looks a bit lonely in the otherwise lackluster downtown business district.  Lots of new development in shops/restaurants in the Bricktown district (just east of the CBD) and a great park/gardens area just south of the Devon tower.  Much better vibe downtown than 2002, when I spent four long weeks working in downtown OKC.

post-28831-0-21541600-1384206286_thumb.j

post-28831-0-89500400-1384206298_thumb.j

I spent last week in Oklahoma City.  Here are a couple of photos of the Devon Energy tower.  Nice building, although it looks a bit lonely in the otherwise lackluster downtown business district.  Lots of new development in shops/restaurants in the Bricktown district (just east of the CBD) and a great park/gardens area just south of the Devon tower.  Much better vibe downtown than 2002, when I spent four long weeks working in downtown OKC.

Beautiful building, but it does seem extremely out of place.  Kind of like what Nashville's skyline would have looked like if the Signature in its original form had come to pass.

Most older cities in the country have similar situations. In S.F., if there is even designated parking avaliable, it is usually a seperate rent fee. One apartment I looked at, there were 2 options avaliable. The first was to have your parking space at waist level (for $1200/month) and the second was to have to park it in an auto elevator, where it was stacked above someone else's car ($900/month). Otherwise, you were on your own.

I hope Nashville never gets to that point.

Chicago's like that, at least the parts I know, and it's not that bad.  You just have to start looking for a space about 3 blocks from your apartment.  People in Nashville are so spoiled when it comes to cars and so used to abuse when it comes to walking. 

• Like 1

Chicago's like that, at least the parts I know, and it's not that bad.  You just have to start looking for a space about 3 blocks from your apartment.  People in Nashville are so spoiled when it comes to cars and so used to abuse when it comes to walking. 

Exactly.  Admittedly, the San Francisco parking situation is a bit extreme, but it's that way because space is at a premium.  I think places like Chicago provide a nice median.  When it comes to residential in Chicago, if people don't live in one of the large developments with it's own dedicated parking, they typically live on quieter streets that are almost exclusively residential where the street parking is almost exclusively reserved for neighborhood residents that have city parking permits.  That, or you have a small garage or space in the back alley where you can park.  So you're never really parked very far from your home at all. 

I was more referring to 'destinations' like restaurants, bars, stores etc.  I don't understand what is so "crazy" about parking and walking a couple blocks to your destination.  A couple blocks is like, a sixth of a mile.  If San Francisco is at one extreme, then Nashville is definitely at the other extreme.  Even now, people expect every development, even the smallest restaurants and shops it seems, to have it's own private parking.  I guess I'm just not sure I understand people's obsession with being able to park directly next to everything. 

I dono, I don't see what's so crazy or spoiled about wanting to park at your house. Not several blocks away. Parking and walking to a destination or restaurant or whatever downtown is a little different, and most people that go downtown in Nashville do just that. 

Edited by mirydi

I dono, I don't see what's so crazy or spoiled about wanting to park at your house. Not 3 blocks away. Parking and walking to a destination or restaurant or whatever downtown is a little different, and most people that go downtown in Nashville do just that. 

Crazy is having to park 3 blocks away from your house and having to lug 10 bags of groceries in the freezing cold rain. I know damn well all those people in Chicago freaking hate it too lol! They have such lovely weather in the winter... What a perfect time to walk 3 blocks to your car at 5am (in the murder capitol of the US) only to find out when you got their you forgot your keys. That sounds awesome! Sign me up...

Most places have parking assigned for their residents that is pretty convenient, like BNA said.  If they don't they have temporary spots along the street or in an assigned place at the base of the building for you to use until you can take whatever up to your unit and then move your vehicle. It's not nearly as inconvenient as it sounds.

I also don't see the need to throw in the murder capitol of the US comment.

Edited by arkitekte

I agree with the sentiment that Nashvillians are very spoiled when it comes to parking.

It's one thing to be able to park in a residential area. Everyone wants to park near their home and I think that's reasonable in a residential area. However, when going to a restaurant, arena, or shopping, it's hilarious when passengers in the car say "What? We are going to WALK?!" As if it's the most ludicrous thing they've ever heard.

Nashville is certainly due for some growing up, but checks and balances are good. I don't think every building should build to a 1 parking spot per bedroom ratio, but I also don't want to see massive developments put up willy-nilly, with zero consideration towards parking.

On that note, residential parking permits for the more densely populated areas, are probably overdue.

I agree with the sentiment that Nashvillians are very spoiled when it comes to parking.

It's one thing to be able to park in a residential area. Everyone wants to park near their home and I think that's reasonable in a residential area. However, when going to a restaurant, arena, or shopping, it's hilarious when passengers in the car say "What? We are going to WALK?!" As if it's the most ludicrous thing they've ever heard.

Nashville is certainly due for some growing up, but checks and balances are good. I don't think every building should build to a 1 parking spot per bedroom ratio, but I also don't want to see massive developments put up willy-nilly, with zero consideration towards parking.

On that note, residential parking permits for the more densely populated areas, are probably overdue.

Fat people.

I also don't see the need to throw in the murder capitol of the US comment.

I actually thought it was relevant seeing how the whole discussion was about how parking several blocks away from your house (like they do in Chicago) is not a big deal. In a place like Chicago, that can be pretty dangerous. That can be dangerous anywhere. Especially for a women. basically all I was getting at was that parking several blocks away from your house sucks. It sucks in more ways than one. It's not about being spoiled, it's not about being lazy, or whatever, it just plain sucks. Period. Since Chicago was being used as an example, I thought I would use that as one of the many reasons why it is a less than ideal (or sucks) to park so far away from your house. If that's offensive to you or Bna or anyone else from Chicago somehow then my bad. I wasn't trying to take a cheap shot at Chicago or anything, but going back and reading my post I can see how it could come across that way. No harm intentended.

Edit: No matter how anyone wants to spin it, not being able to park at your house IS a huge inconvenience, and I'm sure all of those people not fortunate enough to be able to have that luxury would agree with me. It's not something people want just in Nashville, it's something people want anywhere. I'm sure if you asked anyone that has to park several blocks away from their house if they would like to park closer they would be all over it. That goes for people in Chicago or any city for that matter. It's got nothing to do with being spoiled, or laziness. It's all about convenience. Something every person wants.

Edited by mirydi

It is pretty much impossible to live in Nashville and not own a car. Job opportunities are pretty distributed, shopping is pretty distributed, and public transit is weak. So given everyone has to have a car, which I don't think is the case so much in some of the other cities cited, I think people expect parking.

• Like 1

In re: parking, I think downtown has a different set of circumstances than most of the city. Yes, I think it is generally a bonus for workers and residents to be able to park in the same building, or adjacent to the site...but for visitors, it seems to operate on a more forgiving level than, say, a shopping center, where people literally drive across the parking lot to go from store to store.

When going downtown for a sporting event, concert, or even just a night on the town, it's generally expected that you will have to park at least a few blocks from your destination(s). What is happening now is that the urbanization of Nashville's core is creating a parking squeeze in some of the surrounding neighborhoods. Some people react to it better than others. I think many folks like us understand that if we go to a restaurant or bar in East Nashville, The Gulch, Germantown, etc, that we might have to park 500+ ft away, rather than the customary suburban standard of 50-100 ft. I think some of the longtime residents of some of these areas might resent the 'heat' of their hood becoming a popular place for others to visit, because they can no longer park right in front of their homes or favorite businesses. Those who frequent the businesses, or new residents, don't seem to mind quite so much.

In any case, to segue this back to development, I do think that with the density increases to certain neighborhoods, it would be wise for the city to investigate the possibility of building or partnering with building some modest sized structured parking in strategic locations to ensure there is enough parking for residents and visitors. As has been pointed out in this thread, Nashville is definitely a car city. That's just the reality. Hopefully greater density yields a more active and integrated public transit network, but for the foreseeable future, there will still be the need for car parking simply due to the fact that the vast majority of our metro area will remain car dependent. It's not just for those who visit from the suburbs (or visit from out of town)...but even for those who live in other parts of Nashville.

It is pretty much impossible to live in Nashville and not own a car. Job opportunities are pretty distributed, shopping is pretty distributed, and public transit is weak. So given everyone has to have a car, which I don't think is the case so much in some of the other cities cited, I think people expect parking.

Sorry, but I disagree with this.

I'll give you this; "Job opportunities are pretty distributed"

^That is entirely true. Now, granted, while it's not always possible to "live where you work", it is possible in many parts of Nashville. And while there may not be a super-wal-Kroger on every corner, it is possible to make 1 shopping trip per week. Public transit in Nashville isn't glamorous, but it is adequate in the inner-Briley loop. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but to say that it's "pretty much impossible" is not the truth. I should know, I've done it. Sure, rent costs more in the city vs. the burbs, but the quality of life pays for itself. Cost of vehicle=transit fees. Necessary cab rides for evenings out=cable tv bill. Time on bus=time in traffic. Lack of space=more time with neighbors. Again, it's not for everyone, but it is totally doable.

I'm just stating that while it may not be the "status quo" for Nashville, it's completely possible.

You would be surprised how much joy you can get from riding a bike and being self sufficient.

Having said that. It's absolutely convenient to have a car in Nashville. But my point is that not every family needs to be a 1 car per adult family. 1 car per family/family is pretty easy to obtain.

Life without a car is certainly a possibility in Nashville, but only viable in in certain locales inside the TN-155 loop. You can do it, but you are very limited in where and when you can travel, which is unacceptable for most people.

I wouldn't quite go as far as saying it would be like living without electricity, but damn, it can't be too far from that.

• Like 1

I actually thought it was relevant seeing how the whole discussion was about how parking several blocks away from your house (like they do in Chicago) is not a big deal. In a place like Chicago, that can be pretty dangerous. That can be dangerous anywhere. Especially for a women. basically all I was getting at was that parking several blocks away from your house sucks. It sucks in more ways than one. It's not about being spoiled, it's not about being lazy, or whatever, it just plain sucks. Period. Since Chicago was being used as an example, I thought I would use that as one of the many reasons why it is a less than ideal (or sucks) to park so far away from your house. If that's offensive to you or Bna or anyone else from Chicago somehow then my bad. I wasn't trying to take a cheap shot at Chicago or anything, but going back and reading my post I can see how it could come across that way. No harm intentended.

Edit: No matter how anyone wants to spin it, not being able to park at your house IS a huge inconvenience, and I'm sure all of those people not fortunate enough to be able to have that luxury would agree with me. It's not something people want just in Nashville, it's something people want anywhere. I'm sure if you asked anyone that has to park several blocks away from their house if they would like to park closer they would be all over it. That goes for people in Chicago or any city for that matter. It's got nothing to do with being spoiled, or laziness. It's all about convenience. Something every person wants.

:huh:  Yikes...I thought we were just talking about parking!  Are you sure you aren't one of those old ladies protesting the highrise in Green Hills?  haha...kidding.  Listen, I'm not offended in the least.  I just think that if you honestly believe that Chicago is just some vast, arctic ghetto where everyone sprints from place to place because they are terrified of being murdered, then I think you're long overdo for a trip to Chi-City my friend!  I'd give you a tour myself!  Every Chicagoan would acknowledge that the city's violent crime rate is a travesty and needs to be confronted, full force.  But...you do realize, don't you, that crime is not spread equally throughout the city?  Unfortunate as violent crime may be, the vast majority of it is generally concentrated within a handful of neighborhoods, and usually gang/drug related, as is the situation in most cities, including Nashville.

In regards to the topic at hand, you realize that I actually live in Chicago, right?  And that the vast majority of my friends and acquaintances are also Chicagoans?  This is my neighborhood: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Wicker_Park_Chicago_Damen_North_Milwaukee.JPG (actually, that's a few blocks away...I'm just a moron that doesn't know how to take screen shots on google streetview haha)...That being established, then, I suppose what I don't understand is why you, who's opinions of Chicago are clearly rooted in stereotype and hearsay, is trying to tell me, a Chicagoan, who lives in and works in and plays in and walks around in the city and experiences it every single day and spends the vast majority of his time around other Chicagoans, what it is that Chicagoans "prefer" and "like" and what it is that they find to be unpleasant or why you think that your subjective opinion is the concrete reality for everyone else, because, 'it just is, period.' 

Obviously most people value convenience to some degree.  You are correct on that, no doubt.  Certainly, people in Chicago, or most anywhere for that matter, when in search of a parking spot will generally take the parking spot that is closest to their destination.  Perhaps though, just perhaps, some just don't value convenience quite as highly as you.  Perhaps some aren't willing to have the entire fabric of their neighborhoods mutilated by parking lots and parking garages on every corner just so they won't have to walk a few hundred feet.  Perhaps some don't want or expect their city to focus it's entire development strategy around making sure people can get indoors from their cars as quickly as possible, because 'there are murderers out there, and walking sucks.'  Just food for thought.  I'm not saying that Nashville should be exactly like Chicago.  I'm just saying that maybe Nashville could learn a few things from places like it.  Also, just because Chicago living is out of your personal comfort zone, it doesn't mean that the people that live here do so reluctantly or because they have no other options.  Capiche?  :good:

That being said...IT'S FREAKIN' COLD HERE TONIGHT!!!  :cold:  hahaha

Edited by BnaBreaker