Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The plans currently call for just stairs and an elevator on the gulch side, which is a huge mess for cyclists and could be a problem for people using mobility devices if this bridge is anything like the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge, where the elevators stop running after a certain hour. Check out the info online at the link below and be sure to leave a comment either online or at tonight's meeting (tonight, 5-7pm at Music City Center). If we're going to build a 16 million dollar bridge, it should be accessible and functional. Heck, even if it was a 1 million dollar bridge it should be accessible and functional. 

http://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/Capital-Projects/Gulch-Pedestrian-Bridge.aspx

Those are good examples of bad urban design and excellent points. But, specific to parking, how do they play into a "learning experience" for Nashville (other than the given; don't strictly zone areas for one type of use).

I guess my reply wasn't very focused on parking, except in the general sense that the old neighborhoods function well with very little parking actually available.  Most households in older parts of Chicago seem to only own one car, many own none, whereas if you can't walk (or if there's no center so destinations are scattered) you've got about 3 times as many cars to park because everyone who can drive has to.

It occurs to me that from Atlanta we can learn not to build a big stadium cut off from neighborhoods by Interstates and huge sheets of surface parking, but, oops, we already did that.  It seems obvious that the Braves stadium could never became an integral part of a vital neighborhood the way Wrigley Field is.  I can't imagine the Cubs moving to the suburbs.  Wrigley itself hardly has any parking-the Cubs website  ( http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/transportation/index.jsp ) informs us:

Cubs fans are strongly encouraged to use public transportation going to and from Cubs games.

It looks to me like the Sounds stadium proposal will have structured parking and no surface lots, which is a good thing.  I'd like to see the LP field area develop like a bigger version of that, with intense mixed use development on the East Bank, and flocks of commuters walking over the pedestrian bridge in the morning and evening.

In this picture it shows two masts

This picture it only shows one

The original renders show two

I don't know if the picture showing just one mast is a mistake or something, but I really hope they go with two masts. I think it would look much more impressive. (imo)

They said they were looking for ways to make it cheaper.  I think the 2nd mast would make it more visible from the Gulch side, easier for drunken conventioneers to find their way back. 

The plans currently call for just stairs and an elevator on the gulch side, which is a huge mess for cyclists and could be a problem for people using mobility devices if this bridge is anything like the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge, where the elevators stop running after a certain hour. Check out the info online at the link below and be sure to leave a comment either online or at tonight's meeting (tonight, 5-7pm at Music City Center). If we're going to build a 16 million dollar bridge, it should be accessible and functional. Heck, even if it was a 1 million dollar bridge it should be accessible and functional. 

http://www.nashville.gov/Public-Works/Capital-Projects/Gulch-Pedestrian-Bridge.aspx

As far as bicycles, I thought I heard the Gulch side was going to have those grooves you put the bike wheels in to guide them down the ramp.  I've seen this in Denver, and I think it's a good idea here.  There's no way I want bikes divebombing at full speed into that narrow landing area and running over pedestrians. 

The Gulch side mast is gone and they are doing the grooves to make walking bike down stairs easier. Stairs because not enough room for a ramp. I got the impression they've spent a lot of time working with Velocity and Pine St Flats. Drilling soon then not much visible till summer'ish. That's about it for meeting and probably old news for many here.

The Gulch side mast is gone and they are doing the grooves to make walking bike down stairs easier. Stairs because not enough room for a ramp. I got the impression they've spent a lot of time working with Velocity and Pine St Flats. Drilling soon then not much visible till summer'ish. That's about it for meeting and probably old news for many here.

Thanks for the info.  Did they estimate a completion date?

It should be no surprise that Mayor Attention Whore wants every one of these projects completed during his term. I'm sure his 50 foot golden statue will be completed by then as well.

This is a relatively absurd post. Dean is no better or worse than any other recent mayor of Nashville in terms of seeking attention. And of course he wants these projects completed ASAP, he cares about the city. You want him to propose projects that will not be completed until 2020?

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 4

Developers of the proposed Westin (400 rooms and 30+ stories) have finalized the purchase of the site.  There is a connection to this group and the investors who bought the Wells Fargo building to convert possibly to a hotel or condos. 

From the Tennessean today...  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131114/BUSINESS/311140090

The long vacant Acme building will be....drumroll...another restaurant/bar!  Hopefully it will be something special and not just a run of the mill place.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131114/BUSINESS01/311140033/Long-vacant-Acme-Feed-site-house-restaurant-bar-music-venue

Hopefully... that is a lot of money for a renovation!!  It is Tom Morales, who is a proven restauranteur... and manages the Southern, which was just named the Best New Restaurant in the country. 

Hopefully... that is a lot of money for a renovation!!  It is Tom Morales, who is a proven restauranteur... and manages the Southern, which was just named the Best New Restaurant in the country. 

I saw that, and it does make me feel a little better about what it may become.  There have been some crappy establishments on Broadway over the years.  Hopefully it will add some class to the place.

Has a rendering been released for the proposed Westin?

Developers of the proposed Westin (400 rooms and 30+ stories) have finalized the purchase of the site.  There is a connection to this group and the investors who bought the Wells Fargo building to convert possibly to a hotel or condos. 

From the Tennessean today...  http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131114/BUSINESS/311140090

This is a relatively absurd post. Dean is no better or worse than any other recent mayor of Nashville in terms of seeking attention. And of course he wants these projects completed ASAP, he cares about the city. You want him to propose projects that will not be completed until 2020?

I've stated before that I don't think Dean is a 'bad' mayor. He's done a lot of good for the city...but after the MCC, he's proposed numerous other expensive 'big ticket' projects. I'm concerned about finances. It would be great if we got everything Dean proposed...but we have to do it in a smart and measured manner. Instead, he is ramping up the speed and doesn't seem to be waiting on any sort of debate over the need or cost of any of these projects.

I love the direction of the city, but I would hate to think all of these large, expensive projects hinder future mayors from being able to accomplish their agendas (or the most pressing agenda of the city at that time). How many more times can we take out more bonds or raise hotel taxes (or any other taxes) before it becomes harmful?

I don't expect Dean to do nothing in the final years of his term, but I would rather he concentrate on one large public project rather than many. My choice would be the Amp. Let the next mayor(s) take care of some of the other issues. 

Btw -- I said 'Mayor Attention Whore' in jest, since he's certainly not camera shy...and I'm sure as much as anything that he is building his political resume to run for a higher office.

• Like 1

In the Nashville Post today there are two articles by WW behind the firewall that I'd be interested in reading more about.  One is about a new project in Germantown called "Gramercy" (after NYC's Gramercy Park, I guess), and the other is about Giarratanna's plans for a "micro-housing" apartment complex in Nashville, which appears to have a rendering included.  Anyone have access?