Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Awesome! I believe this is the restaurant that has the chitterling Tacos that I really like.

BTW... There's an article in the Tennessean about the Westin Hotel. I couldn't read it because the Tennessean is trying to charge a fee to read their paper, which is laughable to me. There are much better papers that don't charge.

Edited by FromParkAveToTN

Awesome! I believe this is the restaurant that has the chitterling Tacos that I really like.

BTW... There's an article in the Tennessean about the Westin Hotel. I couldn't read it because the Tennessean is trying to charge a fee to read their paper, which is laughable to me. There are much better papers that don't charge.

Tennessean article doesn't have anything that you don't already know from reading this site. It just gives the general stats (30 stories, 400 rooms), location, and links the key investor as the same guy who is in on the UMPH deal.

Their East Nashville location is beautiful, I have no doubts that this will be as nice if not nicer.

Yeah, I think that the Barista Parlor will do great things with this building.  The East Nashville building was an old transmission shop at the back of another building, and it's still kind of hard to find.  They certainly did wonders there to create a hand-made/craft environment, from the tables to the aprons to the wooden patio outside the cinderblock exterior of the East Nashville shop.  But I think that this building will require less retrofitting to achieve that early industrial look and feel.  Brick is so much easier to "warm up" than cinderblocks!  I'm looking forward to seeing this space redone and to continue filling in those streets behind the Icon.

• Like 1

The MCC's FB page made it seem as if the Westin is a done deal. I told them to hold their horses. However, were they jist being "sloppy" or do you guys think they know more? I figure the previous since no rendering or official announcement is out. Just somr land deals going on as far as I can tell. I will not be surprised to see a project like this soon.

The statement on the MCC FB page was a link to the TN article and they said something to the effect that Westin IS coming to Nashville.

Has a rendering been released for the proposed Westin?

No renderings released yet. Height, number of floors, rooms, etc. is all still speculative, but no doubt encouraged by the developers themselves.

I have no idea if they would choose to revive the original design from their original proposal in the mid-2000's, but it was also ironically 30-stories, although be it at a different site I believe:

downtown-nashville-condos-lofts_clip_ima

Now the question I propose is this: How many "high-end" units will it have? All 400 or a certain portion of them? Also... will it still have condo's in the mix as the original proposal?

If so, since (referring to upcoming projects via their website,) the new Westin to be built in Jakarta will only have 250 high-end rooms, but will yet still be 64 stories... would the one in Nashville also perhaps be much taller for that block of land? (I believe their respective footprints are similar.) I am wondering if they are simply referring to the original design as a reference point for the height approximation, and if it is possible that it could be much different/higher if a larger portion of the units will be high-end, as in Jakarta.

Edited by dReAmWiELdEr

Yup, that's the old original Westin design (with several floors of condos) off of Broadway.

This is a bit confusing, but I guess as long as it works?  :dontknow:

Separately, Fee’s group has an agreement to take over the adjacent former Cokesbury bookstore and its parking lot. The bookstore and lot are part of 7.2 acres another developer, Terra Verde Group, has a contract to buy from the United Methodist Publishing House.

If Terra Verde closes its deal with the publishing house and sells that property to the Fee-led group, that would create a site with 74,000 square feet overall, and create more space for restaurants and retailers near the new Westin.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/between-a-public-squabble-and-a-much-criticized-design-alls-not-quiet-on-nashvilles-west-riverfront/Content?oid=3961589

There is a story in The Scene about the selection process for the design group on the thermal site project. The article is dizzying but it probably deserves some space in here. 

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/between-a-public-squabble-and-a-much-criticized-design-alls-not-quiet-on-nashvilles-west-riverfront/Content?oid=3961589

There is a story in The Scene about the selection process for the design group on the thermal site project. The article is dizzying but it probably deserves some space in here. 

Interesting. It seems that Dean and Haslam must have gone to the same school of awarding contracts.

And yes, that thing is ghastly. The solution to disappearing 60s architecture is not to revive it with this modern pile of feces.

Yeah...I'm on the same page as most here, I think.  To me, simply using what is, perhaps, the most prime piece of real estate in the entire city on an amphitheater and nothing more, is a complete waste of space, the city's nickname notwithstanding.  My disappointment was a bit softened, however, because I assumed that since the amphitheater would be the centerpiece of this prime property, they would really go all out on the design to make it truly unique and eye-popping.  I'll just say that if this Brutalist concrete slab is, indeed, the design they move forward with, then I will be extremely disgusted. 

Two more designs for 505 Church st from Tony. There is a residential prospect at 750' and a mixed use tower at the same height. The office tower is still on the table. I think it's just a matter of what will be the best use for the site.

You will present these designs immediately.

• Like 3

We're waiting... and getting pretty exhausted from all these announced project that never materialize.  Palmer is one thing... but someone with a real track record is another.  Let's get going folks! 

You can say that again!  I love seeing new proposals, but I'd rather see ONE proposal followed by ONE construction project followed by ONE new proposal followed by...

In the minority here, but I don't think the amphitheater is that bad. Hard to tell from the rendering.

As far as KVB, I am hoping we will be blown away with the Westin and UMPH site proposal. As a silver lining, maybe the underdevelopment of KVB so far will give other areas nearby in SoBro opportunity to develop.

Two more designs for 505 Church st from Tony. There is a residential prospect at 750' and a mixed use tower at the same height. The office tower is still on the table. I think it's just a matter of what will be the best use for the site.

What's the source on this, are there any renderings or addditonal info? I cant find anything on it.

Just attended the Civic Design Center forum. Gordon Gill of Adrian Smith , Gordon Gill was in attendance and the renderings were revealed with Tony there as well.

Interesting, if the designs are anything like the original than they should be stunning.

I know that everyone is frustrated by the lack of actual construction, but I really admire Tony's ambition and vision. He seems very determined to get an iconic building up on this site, and I think that he will succeed.