Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Here ya go. Friend of mine posted his pics on Facebook. He gave me the ok to post them up for you all.

505building2_zpsf2cca124.jpg

505building_zps1fd00dd0.jpg

My dreams have just been crushed. I don't care how tall that thing is, or need to see a better render. That is a huge step backwards from the original design. Truly disappointing to see this.

Edited by mirydi

The presentation had two new designs. The third mixed use building has a step up that is in three parts topping at the new height of 750 ft with retail all along 5th ave and also on church st with a large plaza to mirror the 5th/3rd building plaza. What you can't see are the curved balconies that face south and north. At the end of the meeting I was standing around the model with a person from metro planning. I asked her about plans for the old convention center site, she eluded to there being a very tall building for that site. She picked up the 505 building model and placed it on the corner near commerce st. and 5th ave and said wouldn't that be nice. Everybody around just looked at one another waiting for her to confirm but instead she said the proposal should be coming soon. Who knows?

• Like 2

The presentation had two new designs. The third mixed use building has a step up that is in three parts topping at the new height of 750 ft with retail all along 5th ave and also on church st with a large plaza to mirror the 5th/3rd building plaza. What you can't see are the curved balconies that face south and north. At the end of the meeting I was standing around the model with a person from metro planning. I asked her about plans for the old convention center site, she eluded to there being a very tall building for that site. She picked up the 505 building model and placed it on the corner near commerce st. and 5th ave and said wouldn't that be nice. Everybody around just looked at one another waiting for her to confirm but instead she said the proposal should be coming soon. Who knows?

Whaaa?!

1305637352_players-crazy-celebrating.gif

This is all getting to be just about too much for me to handle!  I need to start wearing Depends whenever I visit this website!!!!!

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

I can only imagine that Mr. Giarratana's original "cutting edge" design would be extremely expensive to build... like building a custom jigsaw puzzle.  This design with the straighter lines repeating floorplates would appear more feasible for a spec building especially if he wants to go taller. Of course, that's just my guess.  

^I'm sure your right. It's just disappointing to hear that there are other designs on the table now. Residential towers at that... Going from a super sleek, technology packed leed platinum office tower (that we have been lusting over this whole time) to an ordinary looking residential tower with balconies is kind of depressing to me, regardless of the height. Don't get me wrong, I like the design, and I would love to have that tower built here, just not as a replacement to the original office tower design. Oh well...It is what it is. 

I would really like to see the other design that was presented. Can anyone comment which one was better looking? Also, it was good to hear of the potential tall at the old convention center site. Really looking forward to see what the plan is for that property.

^Yeah, no kidding...I guess this will be the last news we hear about 505 for the next 6 months to a year before we get the announcement that the height has been reduced to 500' to make it easier to finance. Then a year after that, we will get another redesign and repeat the process all over again. *Sigh*

• Like 2

Taking another look at that tower... it doesn't appear to be anywhere near 700'.  Apparently about 54 floors tall, a residential tower would be closer to 550'... and compared to the model of ATT (without spires), a 700-footer would be a lot taller than that one as it sits on a hill.  And compared to the Suntrust Financial (???), that one sits at about 430' (right?).  Obviously that's very thin on detail, but I'm just saying how it appears to me.

Edited by MLBrumby

Be patient, stay positive.    Tony would start building today if all the pieces were in place.    To get a class A office building off the ground, it takes a couple of major tenants.    He's working that angle, but frankly there is more interest in residential and hotel projects right now.    The new 505 designs are intended to present alternative development options for the 505 site to potential partners.  I wouldn't say the commercial plans are in the shredder.     I'm confident that one or more of Tony's projects will happen soon.    You have to admit, no single developer (not counting the city/MCC) is creating more positive energy and buzz about downtown real estate.    It's contagious. 

• Like 1

My dreams have just been crushed. I don't care how tall that thing is, or need to see a better render. That is a huge step backwards from the original design. Truly disappointing to see this.

This does seem like a step back in design.  Is it me or did they just move the old Marriott Marquis hotel proposal to 5th and Church?