Could a true merger work?

BFG

BFG, you know I agree with you. Just a few considerations. First, I think the idea if at-large seats is much needed here. You want some folks who are the big picture members that act as the sort of “disinterested third party” when folks pick sides on an issue.

Second point, a quick look at VA code brings up some relevant articles. This top one notes that city councils are currently restricted to a max of 11 members so such a council would require a change to this or an exception for HRVA. Not that this would be impossible though. The new city’s charter would have to be approved anyway and some other things would have to be included in there, so this would just be one of them. For such a large metro area I think the justification is there.
——————
§ 15.2-1400. Governing bodies.
A. The qualified voters of every locality shall elect a governing body for such locality. The date, place, number, term and other details of the election shall be as specified by law, general or special. Qualification for office is provided in § 15.2-1522 et seq.
B. The governing body of every locality shall be composed of not fewer than three nor more than eleven members.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title15.2/chapter14/section15.2-1400/

This next one seems to say in para 9.b. that constitutional officers (mayors, city council etc) can stay put if that’s part of the consolidation agreement.
———————-
§ 15.2-3534. Optional provisions of consolidation agreement

9. a. In the event of establishment of a consolidated city, there shall be a new election of officers therefor whose election and qualification shall terminate the terms of office of their predecessors; provision may be made for the exclusion from such new election of such elective officers as is deemed desirable.
b. In the event of the establishment of a consolidated city, the constitutional officers of the consolidating jurisdictions may continue in office at not less than their salaries in effect at the effective date of consolidation; the selection of each constitutional officer for the consolidated city shall be made by agreement between those persons holding such respective offices, and the other or others, as the case may be, shall become assistants or chief deputies, upon filing of a certification of such agreement in a circuit court and approval by the court; in the event no agreement is reached or no certification is filed on or before a date stated in the consolidation agreement, the circuit court shall designate one officer as principal and the other or others, as the case may be, as assistants or chief deputies; and in the event of a vacancy in the office of assistant or chief deputy thereby created during such term, the position shall be abolished. Each such officer shall continue in office, whether as the principal officer or as chief deputy or assistant, until January 1 following the next regularly scheduled election pursuant to § 24.2-217, whether or not the term to which such officer was elected may have expired prior to that date. When the effective date of the consolidation plan is the same as the end of the term of one or more existing constitutional officers for the consolidating jurisdictions, an election shall be held to elect such constitutional officers for the consolidating jurisdictions for a new term to begin on the effective date of consolidation. Such newly elected officers may or may not become the principal constitutional officers of the consolidated city under this provision.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title15.2/chapter35/section15.2-3534/

Anyway, as I said you have my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm listening to tonight's Norfolk City Council Work Session. The subject of regionalism came up, and various efforts to work with other cities on infrastructure (I think it was regarding flooding). Curiously, councilwoman Mamie Johnson mentioned our sister city Kitakyushu, Japan, which started as five independent cities, then merged in 1963. Now it stands as a city of 1M, with a council of about 57 members and one chairperson, who all put the needs of the citizens first.

She mentioned the infrastructure partnership being a good start, but at least it looks like our city leaders are more open to at least working together.

It starts at about the 50:00 mark.

• Like 1