Weddington/Waxhaw

I took a trip down to Waxhaw yesterday since I hadn't been down that way in a while. While I was expecting to see some sprawl, considering Union county's fast growth, I did not even begin to realize how surprised I'd be to see how many neighborhoods and subdivisions were being built. There were at least just 20 new ones off of Providence Road. It was crazy, and I know Providence Rd (which is only one lane south of I-485) will not be able to handle this growth at all. Waxhaw (downtown) still has its charm though and we stopped there, and gas at the Petro Express in Waxhaw as only $1.89. We drove down Old Providence/South Providence Road too, Some neighborhoods are beginning to catch up out there as well building new McMansions.

Also, I think there's either a Super Wal-Mart or Super Target planned for Waxhaw Parkway across the Food Lion.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this saddens me very much. i grew up in an old hotel (110yrs) in DT waxhaw. i have seen that little town change tremendously. my waxhaw, with all it's history, quaintness and allure.... this place was to become legendary.

blind to the evils of the outside world yet striving so hard for an advanced knowledge - we did not see and protect what was happening under our own noses. we had let the enemy in....someone amonst us had betrayed us! in our hunting down the traitor we found that it was not just the work of one, but many. no one could be trusted. even to look into the mirror meant facing something so unfamilar....waxhaw, had lost it's way.

like so many before her, it was waxhaws turn to taste the "fruit" and thus give up her garden. she came to a crossroad about 8 yrs ago and sadly chose the way to monroe. since then the doors to waxhaw have opened to any pimp willing to doll her up.

i can not explain in words how amazing it was growing up in waxhaw in the 80's / 90's. for what it is worth - i say to the children of waxhaw, from the sandhills to the mini-ranches, from parktown to valhalla....defend her. her breath is labored and her hour nigh...BUT, IT IS NOT TOO LATE! you must draw back the curtains and open the windows...carry waxhaw into the light that shines upon her rightful path and stop this maddness.

Doesn't the town of Waxhaw have some connection to either Belk or Pepsi?

I think you're thinking of Monroe. The first Belk's store was in DT Monroe. Waxhaw may have some other connection that I'm not aware of.

waxhaw boasted the 2nd ever belk's dept. store....however, waxhaw is the first in losing a belk's.

as best i know, william henry belk's brother, dr. belk resided in waxhaw for a spell. his house still stands near the old elementry school and is still cared for and lived in.

It's too bad there are no towns in Union County that embrace development controls like Davidson or Huntersville. Waxhaw could have had a great expanded downtown rather than the suburban hell it is turning into. Weddington was never anything, so it will simply turn into a giant cul-de-sac with no center.

It's too bad there are no towns in Union County that embrace development controls like Davidson or Huntersville.  Waxhaw could have had a great expanded downtown rather than the suburban hell it is turning into.  Weddington was never anything, so it will simply turn into a giant cul-de-sac with no center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, My friend and I drove down to Waxhaw (to get cheap gas) and I counted after we pass the Union Co line how many new subdivisions have gone up or are going up (just off Providence Rd) and we counted 20!!!

Archived