601 Bond

joeDowntown

58 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

I cant find the renderings. Is this project brick and 16 stories?

That seems to be the general consensus. 

56b1678c71eea_601BondRendering.JPG.cb866

56b16789a7465_601BondRenderingImages.JPG

I did find this too way back in my stash @Lmichigan

I don't know if it's still applicable though, it was from 2015. 

22414112784_5f304e0017_b.jpg

16 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I figured 601 Bond needed it's own thread. Drove by after work and they are much farther along than I imagined. Also, for the Crane lovers out there, look at what's popping up in the middle of the foundation. Should be a tall one!

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

Two tower cranes in Monroe North: glorious.

It does appear that elevation massing is a bit different from the rendering, as you can see an extra mechanical level above the deck.  EDIT: Actually, maybe everything else is correct on the massing and it simple doesn't show the mechanical penthouse.

Anyway, what I found interesting was the height limit, and the bonus given.  What is this parcel zoned, and how did they get the bonus height?  Always been interested in this kind of stuff.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:35 PM, Lmichigan said:

It does appear that elevation massing is a bit different from the rendering, as you can see an extra mechanical level above the deck.  EDIT: Actually, maybe everything else is correct on the massing and it simple doesn't show the mechanical penthouse.

Anyway, what I found interesting was the height limit, and the bonus given.  What is this parcel zoned, and how did they get the bonus height?  Always been interested in this kind of stuff.

It's not a matter of zoning, it was part of the revised master plan covering Monroe North. It's a very complicated equation to get height bonuses, part of which is ground floor retail, etc..

On 9/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, GRDadof3 said:

It's not a matter of zoning, it was part of the revised master plan covering Monroe North. It's a very complicated equation to get height bonuses, part of which is ground floor retail, etc..

I know  for the downtown overlay district expansion height bonuses are awarded for green aspects, public art, percentage of affordable housing and a few more. It seemed fairly non-transparent how these are awarded. 

• 1 month later...

It's hard to get over to this site and get photos (during construction hours), but it looks like they are pouring the floor to the second level right now. Does anyone know how long it "typically" takes to complete one floor on this size building? Are we looking at an additional story every month, 2 weeks, week? 

I'm sure the parking structure takes longer than the floors that will house the apartments, just wondering how long it will take before this starts peeking over the other buildings.

Joe

3 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

It's hard to get over to this site and get photos (during construction hours), but it looks like they are pouring the floor to the second level right now. Does anyone know how long it "typically" takes to complete one floor on this size building? Are we looking at an additional story every month, 2 weeks, week? 

I'm sure the parking structure takes longer than the floors that will house the apartments, just wondering how long it will take before this starts peeking over the other buildings.

Joe

From what i've seen they are working on the parking structure right now  which takes longer.   I would guess we'd see a new floor every few weeks after that point.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

From what i've seen they are working on the parking structure right now  which takes longer.   I would guess we'd see a new floor every few weeks after that point.

I think once they get past the complicated parking levels, it will be one floor per week. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Got a photo of a couple of the panels. From the renderings, these look like the "middle sections" (where there are two windows side by side).

Joe

IMG_6041.jpg

Good call Joe! And I've seen all of those stair sections there sitting on their yard and I'll bet they're for 601 Bond.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I thought it was 16 floors. I only count 8 so far? 

Well I was "working from memory" at the time.   No claim to a great memory obviously... :blush:

I'm a little surprised they've started the finishes already with so much activity still to come.  Room for error (dropping of the odd hammer or two) must be better than I expected.

I don't know if you have Facebook to see this but I saw this post and thought of this thread. I wonder if all the panels will have the windows set into them like that before they put them up; I guess it makes sense to do it that way. If that is the case it'll go from a skeleton to looking like a building overnight! If you go to their FB post you can see more pics. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I don't know if you have Facebook to see this but I saw this post and thought of this thread. I wonder if all the panels will have the windows set into them like that before they put them up; I guess it makes sense to do it that way. If that is the case it'll go from a skeleton to looking like a building overnight! If you go to their FB post you can see more pics. 

Yeah - I saw that.  It may have just been a mock-up to show how it will look, but I don't know for sure.

Edited by mpchicago

12 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Nice! Yes, I'm fairly certain that the tallest building being built downtown is not downtown. 

601 Bond's roof should top out at 172ft  while Warner Tower will top out at 192ft. so by a narrow 20ft Warner Tower is the tallest building being built downtown. 

• Like 1