601 Bond

joeDowntown

41 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

601 Bond's roof should top out at 172ft  while Warner Tower will top out at 192ft. so by a narrow 20ft Warner Tower is the tallest building being built downtown. 

Ohhhh, you're right Chris. Commercial floors are usually taller than residential floors. 

On 4/5/2018 at 2:10 PM, GVSUChris said:

I don't know if you have Facebook to see this but I saw this post and thought of this thread. I wonder if all the panels will have the windows set into them like that before they put them up; I guess it makes sense to do it that way. If that is the case it'll go from a skeleton to looking like a building overnight! If you go to their FB post you can see more pics. 

Hopefully it looks better than the precast panels on 70 Ionia. The panels on that building make it look like suburban schlock, IMO. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to say, I really like the way 601 Bond fits in the neighborhood. It's not going to win international awards for design, but I think they did a nice job. 

With that being said, does anyone else find the mechanical floor to be kind of a sore thumb/design afterthought? I went back and looked at the renderings and they always kept the angle JUST right so you didn't see that floor. Don't know if they'll add signage to it to lessen the black box effect (it kind of looks like freight containers being stored on the top of the building :)), but it kind of reminds me of the elevator access (with sign) that was on the Olds Manor building. 

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I have to say, I really like the way 601 Bond fits in the neighborhood. It's not going to win international awards for design, but I think they did a nice job. 

With that being said, does anyone else find the mechanical floor to be kind of a sore thumb/design afterthought? I went back and looked at the renderings and they always kept the angle JUST right so you didn't see that floor. Don't know if they'll add signage to it to lessen the black box effect (it kind of looks like freight containers being stored on the top of the building :)), but it kind of reminds me of the elevator access (with sign) that was on the Olds Manor building. 

Joe

I saw that driving down 131,  and cringed a bit.  I agree with Joe,  looks pretty good otherwise.  I like that the parking deck portion is blocked (for the most part) by the buildings on Monroe when driving down the freeway.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

My hopes jumped here when i saw this.     https://sweetwatertavern.net/

So, the one that's actually coming is the third-best Sweetwater. Or fourth if you include the music mega-retailer in Indiana that includes candy with every order.

Edited by organsnyder

• 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, arcturus said:

601bond.thumb.jpg.1a61f91666fea00e1f3b8126dcb3fed9.jpgReally liking the urban feel with 601 completed.  A bit surprised by the few number of lit apartments though it's hard to tell.  As for Sweetwater, I've gone by 3 times in the past month at various times and it always looks empty.

I love the look of this project as you're driving South on 131 toward downtown. It just pops up out of nowhere with the backdrop of Medical Mile and the new condos up on Belknap. Looks taller than I had imagined it would. 

2 hours ago, arcturus said:

601bond.thumb.jpg.1a61f91666fea00e1f3b8126dcb3fed9.jpgReally liking the urban feel with 601 completed.  A bit surprised by the few number of lit apartments though it's hard to tell.  As for Sweetwater, I've gone by 3 times in the past month at various times and it always looks empty.

My daughter helped train and open that location of Sweetwaters (she works for the original one in AA when she’s in school at UofM), and she said that the location is beating their initial projections. It’s a pretty big space, dog friendly, and they source all there baked goods from Wealthy Street Bakery. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Prankster said:

My daughter helped train and open that location of Sweetwaters (she works for the original one in AA when she’s in school at UofM), and she said that the location is beating their initial projections. It’s a pretty big space, dog friendly, and they source all there baked goods from Wealthy Street Bakery. 

It's somewhat busy in the mornings but I'm sure once the units start to fill up, it will be even more so.  I don't know if tenants are moving in yet.

There is another space next door that's being worked on right now but I can't tell what it is.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...