Sign in to follow this  
vicupstate

Augusta Square

sc smitty    68

It would be nice to redevelop the Augusta St frontage, but the back half intrudes a lot into the existing neighborhood, and is way out of scale with the existing single story houses immediately behind and across the street from it.  It also takes out several homes in a historic neighborhood, but since this is being proposed by the same developer that was planning on demolishing the Wilkins Mansion, he obviously doesn't care about that. 

gman430    743
3 hours ago, sc smitty said:

It would be nice to redevelop the Augusta St frontage, but the back half intrudes a lot into the existing neighborhood, and is way out of scale with the existing single story houses immediately behind and across the street from it.  It also takes out several homes in a historic neighborhood, but since this is being proposed by the same developer that was planning on demolishing the Wilkins Mansion, he obviously doesn't care about that. 

I live just a few blocks from here and I personally don't see anything historic about the homes that would be demolished. A few of the buildings especially along Augusta look run down even. Even though the development looks a little out of place due to its size, I don't have a problem with it. The density and urbanity is very nice and the pros out-way the cons in my opinion. I would vote in favor of the development if I was on the planning commission. 

sc smitty    68
20 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I live just a few blocks from here and I personally don't see anything historic about the homes that would be demolished. A few of the buildings especially along Augusta look run down even. Even though the development looks a little out of place due to its size, I don't have a problem with it. The density and urbanity is very nice and the pros out-way the cons in my opinion. I would vote in favor of the development if I was on the planning commission. 

I also live a few blocks away, actually in the Greater Sullivan neighborhood.  My home was built in 1923, a similar age to most of the homes in the area, which certainly qualifies as historic.  Just because they're not as fancy as Hampton Pickney or other historic districts doesn't mean they're not worth preserving.  The house where the proposed pool would go, while in need of some restoration, could easily be the nicest house on the street.  Density fronting Augusta St is fine, but with all the talk of the need for affordable housing in the city, tearing down homes in some of the last remaining affordable neighborhoods near downtown doesn't make much sense. Hopefully the actual planning commission does have a problem with something after admitting that it looks out of place due to it's size.

vicupstate    220

The Planning Commission will look primarily, if not exclusively at the LAND USE, not the mass, height, etc. of the building, which would be up to the DRB.

It will be interesting to see the reception this gets from the neighborhood. That section of Augusta does have a downtrodden appearance, which this would improve.      

Having worked with the Greater Sullivan neighborhood before, they are going to come out in arms about this. And probably for good reason.

I could see something at 3 stories, but 6 is much for that neighborhood. 

This would be better served along Church around the corner. 

gman430    743
4 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

This would be better served along Church around the corner. 

Can't argue with that. Haynie at Church Streets where it's vacant would be a good spot. It would fit in more with the surrounding buildings like SouthRidge and Brio also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1