markhollin

Kenect Nashville, 20 stories, 420 apts, 24,000 sq.ft. retail, garage, 1815 Division Street

The two homes on the lot were scraped away in the past two days. Lot is getting prepped for dig now.

Looking north along 19th Ave. South from edge of property next to The Morris,  1/2 block north of Chet Atkins Place:

Kenect Nashville, May 9, 2018, 1.jpg

Looking NE from 19th Ave. South at edge of property next to The Morris,  1/2 block north of Chet Atkins Place:

Kenect Nashville, May 9, 2018, 2.jpg

Looking south from intersection of Division and 19th Ave. South:

Kenect Nashville, May 9, 2018, 3.jpg

• Like 2

Hopefully they actually start digging soon, and we don’t get stuck with another Embassy Suites/federal courthouse false start. 

31 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Hopefully they actually start digging soon, and we don’t get stuck with another Embassy Suites/federal courthouse false start. 

Embassy suites and federal court house start dates are two different scenarios.

10 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

Embassy suites and federal court house start dates are two different scenarios.

You’re right, I guess the main point I was making is that many of us thought that those projects’ starts  were imminent last year and work stopped or it turned out it wasn’t, other than demolishing previous structures. 

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

You’re right, I guess the main point I was making is that many of us thought that those projects’ starts  were imminent last year and work stopped or it turned out it wasn’t, other than demolishing previous structures. 

These guys seem well capitalized and ready to go. Cannot believe this area has changed so much in the past 10-12 years. It is amazing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

These guys seem well capitalized and ready to go. Cannot believe this area has changed so much in the past 10-12 years. It is amazing.

Agreed... it is amazing... however, not to be a negative nancy, (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) but it's still a horror show from street level in terms of having a consistent, cohesive street wall and a safe and stimulating pedestrian experience... the same can be said for most other neighborhoods too.  But hopeful those improvements are coming.  It's kind of laughable how 'behind the times' Nashville's infrastructure is outside of downtown.  Come on city government, get on it! 

For example, Division St. right outside what will be the front door of Kenect is pathetic looking... crumbling or non-existent sidewalks studded right in the middle with giant poles fronted either by parking lots or the ass end of a building that isn't really committing to fronting the street?  The population density and height might be increasing in the neighborhood, but at street level this neighborhood still suffers badly from Nashville's automotive obsession. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

Midtown getting some density. 

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed... it is amazing... however, not to be a negative nancy, (and I know I'm preaching to the choir) but it's still a horror show from street level in terms of having a consistent, cohesive street wall and a safe and stimulating pedestrian experience... the same can be said for most other neighborhoods too.  But hopeful those improvements are coming.  It's kind of laughable how 'behind the times' Nashville's infrastructure is outside of downtown.  Come on city government, get on it! 

For example, Division St. right outside what will be the front door of Kenect is pathetic looking... crumbling or non-existent sidewalks studded right in the middle with giant poles fronted either by parking lots or the ass end of a building that isn't really committing to fronting the street?  The population density and height might be increasing in the neighborhood, but at street level this neighborhood still suffers badly from Nashville's automotive obsession. 

It's not exactly pretty, but Midtown still has good walkability imo. Demonbreun Hill and the Roundabout are fantastic with nice big sidewalks and bar patios. Division is just lagging behind, but I'm sure developments like this will push it it forward. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those older bars like Rebar get pushed out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Chicago-based Akara Partners has landed $81.9 million in financing from the New York branch of Deutsche Bank AG for the Kenect project. 

More info at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21015009/developer-of-mixeduse-midtown-building-lands-819-loan

seems like this one will move quickly. That couple of blocks will be even more lively in a few years. What would be great for this little part of Midtown is a bodega of some sort that sold cheap essentials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

seems like this one will move quickly. That couple of blocks will be even more lively in a few years. What would be great for this little part of Midtown is a bodega of some sort that sold cheap essentials.

well, there's this

image.thumb.png.22a8b2450a2b63131db073c8a9c112b3.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spent a lot of time in Virginia's buying their sandwiches and meat n 3 in the back.  But yeah...eventually, that place will sell.  Too valuable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

So does this development have anything to do with the Whiskey Rhythm bar closing? 

Doubtful, whiskey rhythm is probably closing because it’s terrible.

• Like 2

I don't know how it lasted this long. 

there was never anyone there, and the few times I stopped in, the service was horrendous.   one time the bar tender stared at my friends and I like we had 3 heads when we tried to order.

12 hours ago, samsonh said:

Something like a Walgreens would do well there. Maybe something a tad more grocery-centric. 

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

But even better if city would align that intersection. Maybe a fountain or some such in a streetscape improvement. 

It's time for midtown to step up its game with streetscape and retail along improved sidewalks.

Agreed. Also traffic can be a bit of a mess there at 18th and division at busy times. This will only get substantially worse.

16 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It's time for midtown to step up its game with streetscape and retail along improved sidewalks.

I know Lower Broadway has an association of business owners, but do other neighborhoods in Nashville have similar groups? Seems like Midtown, 12 South, Five Points, the Gulch, etc., would/should have associations that would allow them to combine their efforts to handle streetscaping and neighborhood beautification. 

• Like 3

On 7/26/2018 at 7:05 PM, samsonh said:

Doubtful, whiskey rhythm is probably closing because it’s terrible.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, volsfanwill said:

I don't know how it lasted this long. 

there was never anyone there, and the few times I stopped in, the service was horrendous.   one time the bar tender stared at my friends and I like we had 3 heads when we tried to order.

I only went there for football games during football season, so I never really saw them on a normal night (seems like it would be crickets). I was just curious if the development group had bought the property to give them a plaza-esque at the street corner.