Jump to content

Amazon looking to build in GR metro


GRLaker

Recommended Posts

My money is on Northern Virginia, by a landslide. I didn't really know they were in the running but it's a no brainer. I can't think of one single box it doesn't check off for what Amazon would be looking for. About 6 million people in the entire greater metro and some of the most highly educated people on the planet. Transit, rail, airports (if you include Baltimore), international workforce, colleges, R&D folks up the ying yang, amenities galore, tech infrastructure galore (huge data center campuses), government lobbying, warm climate for 8 months, lots of room to grow... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I never honestly thought they would come to Michigan.  Can't say I really blame them.  Michigan is such a mess compared to a lot of these other locations and I think Lansing needs to take some of the blame.  Terrible infrastructure, very minimal mass transit, neglect of public school funding, resistance to development.  Grand Rapids is just too small and Downtown Detroit and Midtown are still islands surrounded by a half century of decay.  There's a reason we are experiencing so much brain drain.  As a millennial it's frustrating to find a decent company to start a career with and I am considering leaving MI again.  I think it will probably be Denver, Nashville, or Metro DC.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I never honestly thought they would come to Michigan.  Can't say I really blame them.  Michigan is such a mess compared to a lot of these other locations and I think Lansing needs to take some of the blame.  Terrible infrastructure, very minimal mass transit, neglect of public school funding, resistance to development.  Grand Rapids is just too small and Downtown Detroit and Midtown are still islands surrounded by a half century of decay.  There's a reason we are experiencing so much brain drain.  As a millennial it's frustrating to find a decent company to start a career with and I am considering leaving MI again.  I think it will probably be Denver, Nashville, or Metro DC.


Michigan is failing because the State has the worst gerrymander in the country.  And the primary voters who elect all of our state government are anti transit, anti public education, anti LGBTQ, etc.  There is something deeply wrong with a city like GR when even renewing a paltry budget for basic bus service becomes an anti government ideological fight.

While there are some things going for Michigan it has shifted politically over the past 2 decades to be more like States like Mississippi or Arkansas.  Even states like North Carolina are doing a better job in their cities with development and infrastructure.  

I thought i'd be more sad to be leaving, but honestly I won't miss this backwards minded nonsense one bit.  In three weeks I'll be taking the subway to work and I won't need a car anymore.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:


Michigan is failing because the State has the worst gerrymander in the country.  And the primary voters who elect all of our state government are anti transit, anti public education, anti LGBTQ, etc.  There is something deeply wrong with a city like GR when even renewing a paltry budget for basic bus service becomes an anti government ideological fight.

While there are some things going for Michigan it has shifted politically over the past 2 decades to be more like States like Mississippi or Arkansas.  Even states like North Carolina are doing a better job in their cities with development and infrastructure.  

I thought i'd be more sad to be leaving, but honestly I won't miss this backwards minded nonsense one bit.  In three weeks I'll be taking the subway to work and I won't need a car anymore.  

 

While I don't think this is the place for politics - I agree with all of the above minus the desire to not have a car. I enjoy driving too much to miss out on that experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I never honestly thought they would come to Michigan.  Can't say I really blame them.  Michigan is such a mess compared to a lot of these other locations and I think Lansing needs to take some of the blame.  Terrible infrastructure, very minimal mass transit, neglect of public school funding, resistance to development.  Grand Rapids is just too small and Downtown Detroit and Midtown are still islands surrounded by a half century of decay.  There's a reason we are experiencing so much brain drain.  As a millennial it's frustrating to find a decent company to start a career with and I am considering leaving MI again.  I think it will probably be Denver, Nashville, or Metro DC.

While Grand Rapids has been the lone shining star for Michigan, its success has been tame in comparison to other cities that have made the cut. Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Tampa, Austin, etc. are all mid-size cities turned thriving metropolis' in the last couple decades. Grand Rapids is just now recovering to what it once was population-wise before the recession.

I also agree that Lansing is broken. As much as we pay in taxes for income, sales, gas, internet sales, property, etc., our return on investment is minimal. Our roads and bridges are horrible, our cities are falling apart (short of Grand Rapids), large mainstay companies continue to leave, and our population has a general level of disdain for any concept of transportation that hauls more than 5 people. Plus, the lake effect snow in this area is garbage. I love Grand Rapids and northern Michigan, but I don't blame anyone for leaving for the other promising cities popping up across the country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm always sad to hear about people that are frustrated with the way things are leaving instead of helping to fix the issues.  If everyone leaves, this state won't get better, it'll get worse.  I have the same frustrations that many have listed but I will always stay and try to make things better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GRJohn said:

I'm always sad to hear about people that are frustrated with the way things are leaving instead of helping to fix the issues.  If everyone leaves, this state won't get better, it'll get worse.  I have the same frustrations that many have listed but I will always stay and try to make things better.

To be clear - I'm not leaving. I just don't blame anyone that does. Not everyone has that stick it out and fight for what you want your city/state to become mentality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, GRLaker said:

While Grand Rapids has been the lone shining star for Michigan, its success has been tame in comparison to other cities that have made the cut. Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Tampa, Austin, etc. are all mid-size cities turned thriving metropolis' in the last couple decades. Grand Rapids is just now recovering to what it once was population-wise before the recession.

 

I think a distinction needs to be made.  The 44 square miles that comprise the legal boundaries of  incorporated Grand Rapids is just now recovering to its peak population (possibly already surpassed it if you don't trust census bureau estimates).  The greater Grand Rapids area has NEVER lost population, not even during the great recession.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GRJohn said:

I'm always sad to hear about people that are frustrated with the way things are leaving instead of helping to fix the issues.  If everyone leaves, this state won't get better, it'll get worse.  I have the same frustrations that many have listed but I will always stay and try to make things better.

I'm staying GRJohn. The grass is always greener elsewhere. And Northern Virginia where Amazon will probably end up is one of the most expensive in the country for housing. And the commute times are horrendous, even with transit aplenty. 

Grand Rapids is what it is and there are thousands of people flocking here every year, and/or staying here after college graduation. It doesn't appeal to everyone, and really shouldn't try. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Grand Rapids is what it is and there are thousands of people flocking here every year, and/or staying here after college graduation. It doesn't appeal to everyone, and really shouldn't try. 

Yep,  considering its frequently touted as having  one of the hottest real estate and employment markets in the country, high on quality of living and healthcare, speaks volumes  to its desirability.

As far as gerrymandering don't get me started - http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2011/11/illinois-congressional-district-4-worst-case-of-gerrymandering/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2018 at 1:31 PM, GRLaker said:

While Grand Rapids has been the lone shining star for Michigan, its success has been tame in comparison to other cities that have made the cut. Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Tampa, Austin, etc. are all mid-size cities turned thriving metropolis' in the last couple decades. Grand Rapids is just now recovering to what it once was population-wise before the recession.

I also agree that Lansing is broken. As much as we pay in taxes for income, sales, gas, internet sales, property, etc., our return on investment is minimal. Our roads and bridges are horrible, our cities are falling apart (short of Grand Rapids), large mainstay companies continue to leave, and our population has a general level of disdain for any concept of transportation that hauls more than 5 people. Plus, the lake effect snow in this area is garbage. I love Grand Rapids and northern Michigan, but I don't blame anyone for leaving for the other promising cities popping up across the country.

Just caught this, and mjlo touched on it. That statement is completely untrue. 

A lot of people don't like MSA population data because it seems to change every decade, but if you just look at Kent County which hasn't changed boundaries since 1831, since 2006 just before the recession, to today, it has gained about 47,000 people, about an 8% gain. (595,000 - 642,000). 

238 regions submitted proposals to Amazon and 20 made the cut for the next round. Maybe GR was #21..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, GRJohn said:

I'm always sad to hear about people that are frustrated with the way things are leaving instead of helping to fix the issues.  If everyone leaves, this state won't get better, it'll get worse.  I have the same frustrations that many have listed but I will always stay and try to make things better.

I have lived 47 years of my life here.  enough is enough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, x99 said:

Great.  Don't let the door hit you.  If you really think the grass is greener elsewhere, go find out.

I agree, albeit a little bit less harshly. Life is too short to live someplace that makes you unhappy. But I think a lot of people find out that it's not the geography that is making them unhappy. 

When the recession hit here hard in the 2007 - 2009 period, we knew quite a few people who moved South (a lot of construction, engineering, architect folk). Just about all of them have moved back, except one couple (who was originally from NC where their family was). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 1/19/2018 at 9:40 AM, scottythe1nonly said:


Michigan is failing because the State has the worst gerrymander in the country.  And the primary voters who elect all of our state government are anti transit, anti public education, anti LGBTQ, etc.  There is something deeply wrong with a city like GR when even renewing a paltry budget for basic bus service becomes an anti government ideological fight.

While there are some things going for Michigan it has shifted politically over the past 2 decades to be more like States like Mississippi or Arkansas.  Even states like North Carolina are doing a better job in their cities with development and infrastructure.  

I thought i'd be more sad to be leaving, but honestly I won't miss this backwards minded nonsense one bit.  In three weeks I'll be taking the subway to work and I won't need a car anymore.  

 

If you think GR or Michigan has issues (what area doesn't?), wait til you see the DC area.

In DC, yes you have transit...and ridiculously high housing costs, and gentrification, and poor schools, and high violent crime, and high taxes.

GR has issues, no doubt. But I've witnessed that it is, in general, a community sincerely concerned about solving those issues.

Sounds like you just want mass transit. Enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazon is looking to build a million square foot+ distribution faciloty in gaines twp on steelcase owned land. Parking for 2700 cars, 55000 sf office attached. 68th and patterson. Stay tuned...

855,000 square foot footprint, two-story building with maximum height of 56 feet. To orient yourselves, this would be the far Eastern end of property where Steelcase's wood factory now sits, on 68th.

 

5aaeaf2c5f51b_Amazon-ProjectRapids2.thumb.JPG.371ee19163d60988462bc0f2ae15f6b1.JPG

 

5aaeaf2dd8563_ProjectRapids-Amazon.thumb.JPG.089577099e5c6cb7650ac47d709d876c.JPG

 

5aaeb002a9d62_Amazon-ProjectRapidsAerial.thumb.jpg.1b767399df77ec053ae013bcb9b79c16.jpg 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Amazon is looking to build a million square foot+ distribution faciloty in gaines twp on steelcase owned land. Parking for 2700 cars, 55000 sf office attached. 68th and patterson. Stay tuned...

855,000 square foot footprint, two-story building with maximum height of 56 feet. To orient yourselves, this would be the far Eastern end of property where Steelcase's wood factory now sits, on 68th.

 

5aaeaf2c5f51b_Amazon-ProjectRapids2.thumb.JPG.371ee19163d60988462bc0f2ae15f6b1.JPG

 

5aaeaf2dd8563_ProjectRapids-Amazon.thumb.JPG.089577099e5c6cb7650ac47d709d876c.JPG

 

5aaeb002a9d62_Amazon-ProjectRapidsAerial.thumb.jpg.1b767399df77ec053ae013bcb9b79c16.jpg 

 

 

Full details will be in a report on MiBiz published later today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Nice Scoop. I can't find this news anywhere. I imagine this will bring a large number of jobs (probably not the highest paying jobs, the average is about $13/hour for Amazon warehouse workers, but more jobs in an already competitive market). 

Joe

I saw people on Facebook talking about it, and mention of a MiBiz article which I could not find. So I went directly to the source (Gaines Twp). 

With 2700 parking spaces and 55,000 square feet of office space, I would imagine there's a wide variety of wages. Does Amazon pay more than the Gap store workers were paid who were let go this week? :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw people on Facebook talking about it, and mention of a MiBiz article which I could not find. So I went directly to the source (Gaines Twp). 

With 2700 parking spaces and 55,000 square feet of office space, I would imagine there's a wide variety of wages. Does Amazon pay more than the Gap store workers were paid who were let go this week? :) 

Here’s all the details 

https://mibiz.com/item/25648-sources-amazon-in-talks-for-distribution-center-in-kent-county

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GRDadof3 changed the title to Amazon looking to build in GR metro

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.