Sign in to follow this  
Richmond98

Amazon HQ2

Richmond98    3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011&ref=tsm_1_fb_s_amzn_1063440688&linkId=41914261

While this is probably a long shot for Richmond. I wonder if they are trying to get a West Coast and East Coast presence.

My guess is they would look somewhere with a larger airport hub and larger workforce to pull from. I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta and maybe Boston as an East a Coast finalist. 

I suspect that Virginia will put in a big push.  I think NOVA has a good shot.  Richmond and Hampton Roads / VA Beach might be long shots.

All that said, there had been a rumor that Amazon has interest in buying Capital One for a few years now.  Logistically I don't think it could be approved but there are rumors of at least a partnership possible.

That could be a connection to Richmond / VA.

cwd221    2

If they were to build their second HQ here I have to wonder if they would build a campus out by Capital One and Carmax or be the company that finally builds a 40 story building downtown. 

meegwell    115

I was typing this elsewhere so I am moving it here:

Does anyone think we will throw our name in the hat for the new Amazon HQ2?

It's obviously a stretch but after reading the RFP there are not a whole lot of things that hurt us....here are some concerns:

• Travel time to an international airport with daily direct flights to Seattle, New York, San Francisco/Bay Area, and
  • Washington, D.C. is also an important consideration.
  • Direct access to rail, train, subway/metro, bus routes - at site
  • Communities that think big

Would be nice to have already tackled projects like the ballpark and coliseum.   50,000 jobs w/ $100k+ income....those folks want nice entertainment options.  We have a lot of unique options to offer, obviously...but this will be downright competitive as hell.

RFP:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

tparkerzut    95

The RFP does say to consider different areas around a certain state/region. Sounds like they could be interested in multiple locations. With that in mind and NOVA/Richmond combo isn't out of the question. Regardless I hope the state pursues this, Virginia has a lot of potential for the tech industry. Plus Amazon has a lot of presence in the Richmond area warehouse wise. 

meegwell    115

If they weren't interested in hearing from smaller metro areas, they would not have put the threshold at 1million.  I guess the state will have to decide (if they pursue and I cant believe our Gov will skip this) which of the three million+ VA metros plus NoVa it will use...or what combo. 

eandslee    279

Would this have anything to do with the push I've seen lately to ready the Matoaca Mega Site in Chesterfield?

blopp1234    149
1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Would this have anything to do with the push I've seen lately to ready the Matoaca Mega Site in Chesterfield?

I don't believe so. The Matoaca site is zoned for industry and is targeted for an auto or other high tech  manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

drayrichmond    320

Ok pro con time! (sorry for the long list)

Pro:

Good access to the interstate and major rail lines (hopefully more rail soon)

Good access to universities, with a few in the city itself and several others a short drive away.

A good population of millennials and more moving here every day.

RVA has plenty of room and plenty of blocks already prepped/close to prepped for office construction

RVA has the density most other southern cities don't

RVA is building the Pulse, this should prompt the region to invest more into it even if we don't land Amazon

RVA will be right down the road from the new transatlantic cables coming through VA beach.

Amazon already has a decent presence in VA, with distribution centers around Richmond and an office in NoVa.

Access to the Port of Richmond, and further quick access to the ports in Hampton Roads.

Low cost of living.

And lastly but I think importantly, (they should try to sell it this way), Richmond does not have a signature tower, Richmond is not known nationally for any particular company, Richmond has very good bones as a city; Amazon could literally make this city in their image. There is enough undeveloped lots, a good grid system, overall good infrastructure, the bones are here, Amazon could build this city into the city that they desire very easily.

Con Time!

Our airport. No direct flights to Seattle, however that would change overnight if they move here.

Bad press, the whole nazi's in VA thing......

Finances, we are apparently flagged in the new state reporting systems for cities in possible financial distress.

Schools, did someone yell about schools yet?

I literally cannot think of any others? Help me out guys, there have got to me more cons.

Another note, kind of a con, there might be a lot of push to get Amazon and there might be an equal amount of push not to get Amazon. The cost of living in RVA would change over night, a 1500 buck apartment would jump to 3k a month over night. I'm not so sure the other companies in RVA would want that, they would have to keep pace with cost of living adjustments or get out of town, so I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Dominion, Altria etc.. lobby the city not to pursue this.

• Like 1

meegwell    115
13 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

Ok pro con time! (sorry for the long list)

Pro:

Good access to the interstate and major rail lines (hopefully more rail soon)

Good access to universities, with a few in the city itself and several others a short drive away.

A good population of millennials and more moving here every day.

RVA has plenty of room and plenty of blocks already prepped/close to prepped for office construction

RVA has the density most other southern cities don't

RVA is building the Pulse, this should prompt the region to invest more into it even if we don't land Amazon

RVA will be right down the road from the new transatlantic cables coming through VA beach.

Amazon already has a decent presence in VA, with distribution centers around Richmond and an office in NoVa.

Access to the Port of Richmond, and further quick access to the ports in Hampton Roads.

Low cost of living.

And lastly but I think importantly, (they should try to sell it this way), Richmond does not have a signature tower, Richmond is not known nationally for any particular company, Richmond has very good bones as a city; Amazon could literally make this city in their image. There is enough undeveloped lots, a good grid system, overall good infrastructure, the bones are here, Amazon could build this city into the city that they desire very easily.

Con Time!

Our airport. No direct flights to Seattle, however that would change overnight if they move here.

Bad press, the whole nazi's in VA thing......

Finances, we are apparently flagged in the new state reporting systems for cities in possible financial distress.

Schools, did someone yell about schools yet?

I literally cannot think of any others? Help me out guys, there have got to me more cons.

Another note, kind of a con, there might be a lot of push to get Amazon and there might be an equal amount of push not to get Amazon. The cost of living in RVA would change over night, a 1500 buck apartment would jump to 3k a month over night. I'm not so sure the other companies in RVA would want that, they would have to keep pace with cost of living adjustments or get out of town, so I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Dominion, Altria etc.. lobby the city not to pursue this.

Schools - you have to look at the metro area schools, not just the urban inner city schools.  Many or most cities have issues with inner-urban public schools because of the result of white flight/concentrated poverty that cripples budgets and domino's to everything else in the systems.  This is not just a Richmond problem.   I don't have data but I believe the metro area has plenty of good school systems and a variety of private options.

I believe a big pro is everything that has exploded here in RVA over the past 10 years - the culture and recreation stuff:  food and brewery scene, the River and all the glorious trails and activity right here in a City...the arts...These are all big things for a Seattle based tech company.

*****On top of the warehouses built and being built, the most significant presence of Amazon data centers for Amazon Web Services is in Northern VA....more than any other state in the country.  Between their warehouses and data centers, Amazon does a very significant amount of business with VA.  They are very familiar with the cogs that make things work for their businesses:  the government and the power company!

Commute/traffic/congestion is also mentioned.  We should show up quite well there.

It seems to give good consideration to a "campus" or "park" setting as well as downtown urban....

It sucks that our confederate history is no longer just history that we learn from and study...but now an enormous political issue.  Oh well.

Good article here on the extent of Amazon's data center presence in VA:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/amazon-web-services-data-center/423147/

drayrichmond    320

So I'm sure you guys have seen this already, but it looks like the Mayor of VA Beach has spilled some beans, which is not a good start to the process; you know how hush-hush these types of things need to be.

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/central-virginia/virginia-to-make-big-play-for-amazon-hq-but-quietly/article_ebe3aeb0-7eca-510f-bb60-fba8cc95e96c.html

Also, the more and more I think about this, the more I hope that if VA gets this, it lands in NOVA. If you look at some of the reasons companies have moved to RVA recently (CoStar, AvePoint, and ICMA-RC) one of the big points is the price. If amazon moves an HQ to NOVA we could see a lot more satellite offices and moves to RVA, as a cost saving measure, from other companies.

• Like 2