New Amazon HQ2 Opportunity

carolinaboy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Virginia City said:

Someone email this link to everybody with a Virginia Beach and Norfolk government email address.

I guarantee you they're both fully aware. Only reason I posted this in Virginia Beach is because that is where all the new fiber lines and data centers are going, it would be a huge selling point. Wherever this landed in Hampton Roads would be a benefit to the entire region.

IIRC, Amazon built a distribution warehouse in Virginia, although I think it's in NOVA. Would be nice to have the HQ about 2.5 hours south. :)

I think VB or Chesapeake works better, since they have more land, but as mentioned in the VB thread, Norfolk's ports work to its advantage. If HR landed this, no matter which city would get the HQ, the region as a whole benefits one way or another.

I could think of quite a few reasons that would make this area attractive, esp. for someone looking for an "untapped" region. The rising millennial population, military, sizeable college numbers with at least a half-dozen four-year universities, etc. all make us a great option. The new Ikea coming next year is another reason. I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but the Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance has to sell the 757 the way they did to ADP. From what I understand, there were a few other solid cities that were under consideration as well. If they could pull this one off, I have no doubt it would put us on the map in quite a few categories.

Could you imagine a 40-story Amazon Tower in the Norfolk skyline? I'm getting goosebumps like a decision has been made! :P

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

I guarantee you they're both fully aware. Only reason I posted this in Virginia Beach is because that is where all the new fiber lines and data centers are going, it would be a huge selling point. Wherever this landed in Hampton Roads would be a benefit to the entire region.

I don't see why HR would be  a bad choice, most people don't know this but all of the cities and even some outlying counties have a pretty extensive fiber network  already built out by the municipalities. It's one of the few things all the cities actually work together on. They are constantly expanding them and are municipal controlled, so in reality that Amazon HQ could go anywhere in HR the infrastructure is already there. The graphic I posted might be a little outdated but you get the gist this is a well connected region.   Wish I could find the right graphic of the network that I've seen in the past, but oh well. Virginia Beach's Oceanic cable only enhances this network. 

map.jpg

22 minutes ago, vdogg said:

I wonder if a 7-mile starter line that leads downtown, with potential for future growth would be a selling point. IIRC, that's what helped sway ADP. Dunno if Amazon wants to wait as long as Norfolk is predicting the expansion to take.

If not downtown, Military Circle would be a great site, along with Movement Mortgage.

Everyone should send an email to Mayor Alexander of Norfolk, the City Mgr. Doug Smith, and Mayor Sessoms and City Mgr. Dave Hansen of Virginia Beach.

It can't hurt to show our rabid support.  Call us the silent whatever.

If transit is a key, which was not so described in their press release, then I'm sure that if they chose to relocate anywhere in Virginia Beach, we would find a way to bring that starter line to them.  (And that would give them access to Amtrak, directly.) With state local and federal dollars,  we would find away. For this would be the largest whale ever landed by the Commonwealth. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that Tysons looks mighty impressive to Amazon....

As far as VB vs Norfolk,  it looks like this was moved to the ORF Board. However, AMAZON wants lots of land for a campus. Not just a skyscraper. So I think the Beach would be more likely.

Of course there is the prime swath of  land in Chesapeake, between Indian River and Greenbrier.  I believe Pat Robertson owns 500 acres there.   Some of that land might actually be in Virginia Beach, so there's your regional cooperation with a bow on it! That location would  be very close to transit for tying in, plus great interstate access and very centrally-located in  the region.  At one time, Pat had plans for a massive upscale mixed-use development. Blenheim Park, I believe.  It was shot down by the economy and by the fact that he could not get his interstate exit built.

I tagged some of the social media accounts for some of the local cities, but of course those probably don't go to the powers that be.

I'll add shooting an email to the Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance. Their current CEO, Rick Weddle, came from Orlando and Raleigh (among other cities), and was hailed as a "game changer" when he came to Hampton Roads. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't already on this, but it wouldn't hurt to shoot an email his way.

4 hours ago, BFG said:

IIRC, Amazon built a distribution warehouse in Virginia, although I think it's in NOVA. Would be nice to have the HQ about 2.5 hours south. :)

I think VB or Chesapeake works better, since they have more land, but as mentioned in the VB thread, Norfolk's ports work to its advantage. If HR landed this, no matter which city would get the HQ, the region as a whole benefits one way or another.

I could think of quite a few reasons that would make this area attractive, esp. for someone looking for an "untapped" region. The rising millennial population, military, sizeable college numbers with at least a half-dozen four-year universities, etc. all make us a great option. The new Ikea coming next year is another reason. I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but the Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance has to sell the 757 the way they did to ADP. From what I understand, there were a few other solid cities that were under consideration as well. If they could pull this one off, I have no doubt it would put us on the map in quite a few categories.

Could you imagine a 40-story Amazon Tower in the Norfolk skyline? I'm getting goosebumps like a decision has been made! :P

Amazon would probably build towers over a sprawling campus, I would think either Norfolk of VB downtown would be a great option for Amazon. I am really rooting for you guys to be where they end up.

2 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

With everything that's in the process of being built in Fort Norfolk that would be a good spot as well. I wouldn't hold my breath for a 40 story tower but maybe a 30 and a 15 or 20. 

Amazon has a very tall building in Seattle if I'm not mistaken. We would probably get several signature towers out of this.

Not to be a debbie downer here, but there is about zero chance that this lands in Hampton Roads. Hampton Roads lacks a major international airport. The closest true international airport is in NOVA. True mass transit? Not in Hampton Roads. Amazon isn't looking for a few bus lines and a 7 mile light rail line . They are looking for subways/light rail networks/etc.

Look for this to be a battle between the big cities. Perhaps Boston or Atlanta or maybe the DC area. And if we aren't limited to the East Coast, then you'll likely see Chicago and Dallas get consideration. But you can bet that almost every moderate sized city even will be putting in a proposal. But that doesn't mean they will garner serious consideration. Heck, this is probably even too big for the Charlottes and Baltimores much less Virginia Beach.

1 hour ago, BFG said:

I tagged some of the social media accounts for some of the local cities, but of course those probably don't go to the powers that be.

I'll add shooting an email to the Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance. Their current CEO, Rick Weddle, came from Orlando and Raleigh (among other cities), and was hailed as a "game changer" when he came to Hampton Roads. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't already on this, but it wouldn't hurt to shoot an email his way.

Done. Good idea. Shows support on the ground. Amazon press release says they wanna be where they are really wanted.

HRVT:  ugh. Disadvantages noted. But kindly let us have a moment to dream. Besides, not everybody wants to live and work and do business in a megalopolis. All megas started out as something smaller. There have been migrations of millennials out of megas for years now. Backlash. There has been amazing progress and growth in metros of 1-2M pop. over the last 20 years. Maybe it's our turn. 

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Done. Good idea. Shows support on the ground. Amazon press release says they wanna be where they are really wanted.

HRVT:  ugh. Disadvantages noted. But kindly let us have a moment to dream. Besides, not everybody wants to live and work and do business in a megalopolis. All megas started out as something smaller. There have been migrations of millennials out of megas for years now. Backlash. There has been amazing progress and growth in metros of 1-2M pop. over the last 20 years. Maybe it's our turn. 

For what it's worth, I posted something similar on the NC Triad board (where I live now). But I'm originally from HR (hence my screen name) and do root for the area to succeed.  I see these kinds of conversation as being akin to wondering what you will do with your $600 million after you win the PowerBall. It's fun to think about, but the odds are essentially nil. The same applies to Greensboro (who has also submitted a proposal).

I read one article that did list a few medium sized areas as being candidates (Raleigh was one). But I just don't see anything but a VERY large metro having the infrastructure in place to support Amazon's needs for this endeavor. While not everyone wants to work in a megalopolis, it essentially takes one to provide 50,000 qualified employees. 

Fair enough. But then AMAZON might was well rule out the entire South (ATL transit stinks).  Where ironically the business climate is probably the best. Including mid-Atlantic VA. They should've just said only NOVA, NY, CHICAGO, BOSTON need apply. Though I don't know how "favorable" their respective business climates or quality of life components are , inclusive of low taxes and affordability.

By the way, if Raleigh and Greensboro think they have a shot, there's no reason on earth we shouldn't think the same.

2 hours ago, HRVT said:

Not to be a debbie downer here, but there is about zero chance that this lands in Hampton Roads. Hampton Roads lacks a major international airport. The closest true international airport is in NOVA. True mass transit? Not in Hampton Roads. Amazon isn't looking for a few bus lines and a 7 mile light rail line . They are looking for subways/light rail networks/etc.

Look for this to be a battle between the big cities. Perhaps Boston or Atlanta or maybe the DC area. And if we aren't limited to the East Coast, then you'll likely see Chicago and Dallas get consideration. But you can bet that almost every moderate sized city even will be putting in a proposal. But that doesn't mean they will garner serious consideration. Heck, this is probably even too big for the Charlottes and Baltimores much less Virginia Beach.

I'll take D.C. We're close enough that we might get a satellite campus due to our port access and fiber lines.

Point taken on our airport and public transit. Hopefully that will get the area truly thinking about regionalism.

I think realistically, the DCs and Bostons or NYCs stand the best chance for obvious reasons. But, I don't see that as a reason to count an area like Hampton Roads, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc. out of the mix. The fact that our region wants to throw its hat into the ring, and seems to look at this from a regional standpoint is something we might not have seen 10 or 20 years ago. I commend them for trying...you never know unless you give it a shot. Ikea was a pipe dream too, until a year ago.

Who knows, maybe they see some potential that leads them to open a smaller branch down the line.

Archived