New Amazon HQ2 Opportunity

carolinaboy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys its been a long while since I've posted on urbanplanet but I visit the forums once in a while. I live in Fairfax now but still frequent the Norfolk forum. Anyways, Amazon HQ2 is nearly guaranteed although as mentioned we may get half. I personally would not call it a "headquarters" should it ultimately be split but 25,000 jobs is a large influx nonetheless. Most may not realize but Amazon already has a huge presence in the area. Excluding distribution/fulfillment centers, Amazon Web Services is headquartered in Reston plus its many data centers in the area.

On a much less known topic, Apple also started a search for a 3rd corporate campus similar to its Austin campus to house 20,000 around the same time Amazon announced their search. NoVA is also secretly among the top locations to land that project so its not too bad if we land half of HQ2 plus Apple. Considering the region has the highest concentration of tech employees outside of Silicon Valley, "data center city" in around Dulles International Airport being the "bulls eye of the internet" where over 70% of the country's internet goes through, Virginia's business friendly environment, and proximity to DC will hopefully land both companies by the end of the year.

Virginia Beach landing the transatlantic cable makes a natural location for hi tech companies.  I understand large corporations already have locations in Va. Beach.  Norfolk will benefit by being a part of the Southside loop envisioned to provide high speed internet to south side Hampton Roads. 

8 hours ago, vdogg said:

Even Raleigh would be a benefit to the area if Apple located there, especially considering the new freeway they plan to build between Norfolk and Raleigh that would cut travel times drastically. 

Speaking of the new freeway has there been any recent news on it? 

1 hour ago, Urbanlooker said:

Speaking of the new freeway has there been any recent news on it? 

Not much news since it was approved in 2016, they have replaced some signs in the Raleigh area in 2017. 

Basic information is that it will be called I-87, run about 213 miles, cost about 1 billion, and that the timeline for completion is 10-20 years from now. It will also follow US 64 in North Carolina then follow US 17 all the way to Chesapeake. 

4 hours ago, BFG said:

Even though DC obviously benefits with Reagan International, Dulles, and BWI, I wonder if the potential is there for our airports (and RVA) to get more flights or traffic, esp. if this drives up airfare?

I can see Richmond getting a boost but I don't see that trickling down to Newport News or Norfolk.

1 hour ago, zeppelin14 said:

I can see Richmond getting a boost but I don't see that trickling down to Newport News or Norfolk.

I take the train up to Dulles for international flights every year because it’s far cheaper to fly out of there than it is to fly out Norfork. I could easily see it going the other way. 

Here's how much the area put up to lure Amazon. I don't usually care about these types of articles (and the Pilot is obsessed with them), but these two blurbs stood out to me. They should still continue trying to get more flights and routes, for the next business looking to expand.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_a119c742-e840-11e8-a9be-c7c6abe75bf2.html

And if Hampton Roads had drawn the online retailer inside its borders, the state was prepared to offer up $60 million to improve the region's flight traffic.

While the state is going to spend $195 million to improve Metro access and nearby roads in the Crystal City area, its offer in Hampton Roads involved using $60 million to encourage airlines to add more flights and new routes.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2018/12/05/cheap-labor-light-rail-and-a-stadium-but-only-if-bezos-wants-it-how-the-richmond-and-hampton-roads-regions-tried-to-woo-amazon/

The benefits Hampton Roads and Richmond tried to offer Amazon to come to Virginia. My favorite part of this whole thing, which almost made me throw my #$%@ing laptop.

Hampton Roads downplayed its traffic congestion, but Virginia Beach dangled a light-rail extension that was rejected by voters and Suffolk offered a whole new bus system it would call the “Amazon Express.”

Interesting how you don't want light rail for the sake of regional cooperation, but when it's to lure a big name company, you're suddenly interested!

Here's an idea, why don't the cities in Hampton Roads work on this plan "together"  with or without an "Amazon". 

Most if not all of this would take years to build if Amazon would have come along. The other serious contenders for Amazon have been working very hard on a plan to keep and lure these types expansions/relocates. They will and are ready for the next one. Hampton Roads is still trying to figure out what name is best for the region....smh. 

……..an effing sand castle?  Are we serious? We don't have an international flight or mass transit....but we can get you a sand castle.

Don't get me wrong, I love HR but we should just not even try if we can't get our act together. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_95e5ac9e-fca2-11e8-8468-8b8547332376.html

The Pilot's report. The more I read these types of articles, the more I'm glad they didn't choose this area. If nothing else, it shows how  behind the times this area really is when it comes to so many things. Like with Norfolk Southern, all of your signs about why businesses aren't interested in Hampton Roads are right there in front of you and you ignore them, or conduct yet another study and conclude it's because the name "Hampton Roads" is cheesy. 

I love it here too, and this is home, but I'm tired of the status quo and city leaders talking a good game while keeping their heads in the sand. Something's got to give.

Archived