Amazon HQ #2 To Orlando?

spenser1058

Here is the proposal. I don't think offering a bunch of options was the right move. Only read downtown and Lake Nona so far. Interesting how the city was willing to offer $200 mill+ alone.
Lake Nona is interesting because they were willing to pay to build out the entire site and lease it if Amazon wanted. Lake Nona was a much better prepared presentation, it shows their natural strength in development there.
http://blog.orlandoedc.com/blog/orlando-amazon-hq2-proposal

• Like 2

They did a segment about why Orlando lost out on channel 9 news yesterday.

Basically it came down to a dearth of qualified potential employees in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). 

Video: http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=689428385&videoVersion=1.0

The news segment showed proposal renderings of how it might have changed downtown had Amazon chosen that particular location.

amazondt1.png

amazondt2.png

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

They did a segment about why Orlando lost out on channel 9 news yesterday.

Basically it came down to a dearth of qualified potential employees in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). 

Video: http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=689428385&videoVersion=1.0

The news segment showed proposal renderings of how it might have changed downtown had Amazon chosen that particular location.

amazondt1.png

amazondt2.png

Even in a hypothetical Amazon utopia, Orlando still doesn't break 500 ft!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if I buy that "pool of qualified employees" excuse, because if that were truly the case, how does Amazon explain Nashville, TN making the shortlist? lol What city has that kind of workforce just lying around waiting to be hired? If anything, the workforce would be drawn to Amazon, but they would have to be willing to relocate and that's where a city's quality of life would come into play. But that comes at a higher pricetag.

IMO, Amazon always had an ideal, but internal, shortlist of where the company wants to build it's HQ2. Amazon has the financial resources to scry the demographics of metro areas to determine which cities have more than a million residents; ease of transportation; a business-friendly environment; potential to attract and retain technical talent; and a strong university system "with relevant degrees". This whole dog and pony show was probably meant to lure out larger tax incentives from Amazon's internal shortlist under the guise of competitive proposals, but as a way to obtain best and final offers.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2018 at 5:36 PM, nite owℓ said:

I'm not sure if I buy that "pool of qualified employees" excuse, because if that were truly the case, how does Amazon explain Nashville, TN making the shortlist? lol What city has that kind of workforce just lying around waiting to be hired? If anything, the workforce would be drawn to Amazon, but they would have to be willing to relocate and that's where a city's quality of life would come into play. But that comes at a higher pricetag.

IMO, Amazon always had an ideal, but internal, shortlist of where the company wants to build it's HQ2. Amazon has the financial resources to scry the demographics of metro areas to determine which cities have more than a million residents; ease of transportation; a business-friendly environment; potential to attract and retain technical talent; and a strong university system "with relevant degrees". This whole dog and pony show was probably meant to lure out larger tax incentives from Amazon's internal shortlist under the guise of competitive proposals, but as a way to obtain best and final offers.

I don't think they were even secretive about that.

And its definitely not about the tech talent pool, we are also stronger then Miami in that regard. I'd say our weakness was transportation, Sunrail is a joke, and I don't think they had an interest in relying on "promised" transportation. I am a bit surprised we didn't even make the list though. I thought Blue Origin launch site and the Space Coast would give us a little bit of an edge, but transportation here is really weak, I think not even having I-4 Ultimate complete to see how and if that improves things really killed us. I just skimmed the prososal very quickly but didn't see the free BRT service downtown listed (it surely wasn't emphasized). I did notice Lake Nona mentioned a people mover being built, from the airport, through Lake Nona, and into Osceola county (and a commuter rail stop, apparently Sunrail and something else?). If Sunrail's extension, I4 ultimate, Brightline, and the Maglev project were all completed, I think we would have had a real shot at this, but our transportation is just too bad.

I originally thought they would do Atlanta, and seeing the finalists, I still think that. I do hope its in Miami though, having it connected by Brightline and within the state would still have some spillover effect

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 2:18 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

A lot of it came down to how much a city would give Amazon. Glad we didn't bend over and take it from them. Pittsburgh makes sense though as they have a large tech presence and Carnegie Mellon there. Google has a good sized office there.

Wait how do you know the City didn't bend over and take it? OEP won't share that info. It says at the bottom of that proposal page on the OEP website: "What You Won’t Find: Given the fact that a Florida community is still in the running to land Amazon’s second headquarters, the state of Florida economic incentive information has been redacted to protect the on-going competitive nature of the project as per section 288.075, Florida Statutes."

• Like 1

Because all of the city benefits are clearly laid out. What the state offers isn't what the city is willing to do. The state offer is likely the same no matter where in Florida Amazon might have picked.

Some may say we did bend over in our offer but if you look at others it isn't even close. Chicago offered to give Amazon tax money their employees pay back to them. That is insane and glad Orlando didn't offer something like that.

• 6 months later...

Business Insider says the announcement of HQ2 is coming soon and is predicting one of the three locations in the DC metro.

If so, watch the heads of the laissez faire crowd explode on the news. As The Donald knows well, Amazon chief Jeff Bezos already owns the local newspaper...

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq2-site-why-it-could-be-virginia-dc-area-2018-8

From Business Insider

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Business Insider says the announcement of HQ2 is coming soon and is predicting one of the three locations in the DC metro.

If so, watch the heads of the laissez faire crowd explode on the news. As The Donald knows well, Amazon chief Jeff Bezos already owns the local newspaper...

https://amp.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq2-site-why-it-could-be-virginia-dc-area-2018-8

From Business Insider

As I called it on this very board last year...;)

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, spenser1058 said:

Jliv is NOT just pretty. He scores! *giggles*

Not to get all excited about every rich industrialist who passes through Florida on holiday, but this was an interesting sighting on Saturday: https://www.thenextmiami.com/jeff-bezos-parties-in-miami-over-labor-day-weekend-ahead-of-hq2-decision/.  In my fantasy world, Jeff is knocking around his old stomping grounds in Miami, getting ready for the biggest economic development announcement for Florida since Walt Disney World, and...ah no, the smoky haze lifts from my pipe dream as the announcement is made from Northern Virginia.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Crystal City VA is rumored as the likeliest pick for HQ2 (although another rumor is that said leaks are ticking Bezos off and he may take his Kindles and go home.)

Anyway,  if it does, the tallest building in Arlington (of which CC is part) is 390'. Apparently, tall buildings aren't a big deal to Amazon, either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Arlington,_Virginia

From wiki

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

CNBC is reporting that the Wall St. Journal (paywall) believes HQ2 will be split between Crystal City, VA and Austin:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/11/05/amazon-will-reportedly-create-two-new-headquarters-instead-of-one.html

WSJ says the second location is Austin and The NY Times says it's Long Island - with all these rumors, let's throw Orlando back in!