Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

This is such an important development, it deserves it's own thread. Here are the initial stories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/technology/amazon-headquarters-north-america.html

The Mayor and Chamber of Commerce are on it...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/09/07/nashville-make-bid-amazons-second-headquarters-50-000-jobs/641485001/

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-development/article/20974916/nashville-will-throw-hat-in-ring-for-amazons-second-hq

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/07/metro-officials-prepare-to-pitch-music-city-to.html?s=print

If this came to pass for Nashville, it would be the largest corporate news in the history of the city. Coming to pass would definitely accelerate the additions to the airport (both passenger terminal and new freight), the passenger rail system from the airport into the center city (if the Amazon HQ should be located downtown), as well as making the entire $6.8 billion transportation plan a definite priority.  It would also spark even more residential developments, additional hotel construction, etc.  The impact on this city would be absolutely massive for decades to come.  

• Like 2

Regarding this possible Amazon campus...how about this: Do some major deals to buy up the CB Ragland lot (that faces KVB on the south with 2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side), the Howell Park Condos lot (that faces KVB on the north between 2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side), the dormant One World Hotel site (that faces KVB on the north with Hermitage Ave. and 2nd Ave. South on either side),  the Cumulus Media block (facing Peabody on the north and 2nd Ave. South and Rutledge St. on either side), and the Mark Bloom site (facing Peabody on the north with  2nd and 3rd Ave. South on either side).  This would create a massive 5 square block campus that could have at least 5 various sized towers, and would be quite prominent at the "Gateway" to the city.   I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.    : )

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 11.18.54 AM.png

• Like 2

Some other possible options for the HQ campus could be:

1) The primary tenant of the new Mainland tower at KVB, and then Shelby Smith could sell the rest of his land around it for more towers (shown as Development Property over about 3 blocks  with Lafayette on the  SW edge, KVB on the north, and Olmstead/Sixth Ave. South Apartments to the east on map below), along with the Platinum Hospitality tract (KVB on north, and 5th and 6th Ave. South on either side), AME Church property on south side of Music City Circle (Lafayette on NE and 8th Ave. South on west), and the Giarratana property/Dierson Charities on west side of Music City Circle (bordered by Westin to the north, 9th Ave. South on west, and Lea Ave. on south), and perhaps the 810 Lea property (bordered by 9th Ave. South on east, and Lea Ave. on south).

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.01.42 PM.png

2) Combining several large parcels in the South Gulch/SoLa, that would include the  huge block once considered for the Smithfield project (Division Connector on north with Vine St. and 6th Ave. South on either side); various lots available between 6th Ave. South on east and Division/Ash on north, and Lafayette on east; the Southeast Ventures lot on NW corner of 8th Ave. South and Division; and any of the available lots from 8th Ave. south on west, Division on north, and CSX tracks on east.  This would give tremendous visibility along I-65/40 inner belt.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.04.36 PM.png

3) Become one the primary office tenant at Nashville Yards, plus buy up more of the properties north of Church Street all the way to Charlotte and bordered on either side by the CSX tracks and YMCA Way. This would mean relocating Tenn. State Univ. Avon Campus and Nashville Business Incubation.  could possibly include the surface lot at SW corner of Charlotte and Rosa Parks, as well the former Tulane Hotel site on NE corner of Church and Rosa Parks.  Decent accessibility, and part of the Western Gateway into downtown.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.14.31 PM.png

4) The entire N.E.S. property, except for the art deco HQ building between Charlotte Ave. on north, Church St. on south and either side by George L. Davis Blvd. and 11th Ave. North; along with the Gibson Guitar property (Church St. on north, Grundy on south and 12th and 11th Ave. North on either side); the Tennessean property between Church St. on north, Broadway on south, with CSX Tracks/11th Ave. North on east, and 12th Ave. North on west; and the Exxon property with Broadway on north between 11th and 12th Ave. South on either side.  This would give strong presence along Broadway as well as great visibility/access along I-65/40 inner belt.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.24.45 PM.png

5) The large group of tracts north of Nissan Stadium between I-24 on the east, Cumberland River on west, CSX tracks on north, and Woodland Street on south.  Good access, and nice development of east bank.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.36.14 PM.png

6) The West End Summit lot, plus buying out Beaman on everything east between Hayes on the north and Broadway on the south all the way to I-40/65, with , perhaps extending all the way up to Church on the north and encompassing the Country Delight Dairy works.  Could rehab the old Jim Reed Chevrolet building on SE corner of Church and 16th Ave. North as part of the project. Great accessibility and prominence along Broadway and the inner belt. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 4.45.06 PM.png

• Like 2

It would be fantastic if Amazon selected Nashville, but I'm guessing they'll be looking for cities where they can poach local technology talent from direct competitors, tech companies, and tech-centric universities. I'm not sure Nashville has the technology base to compete at the moment. Cities and regions like NOVA/DC, Austin, Dallas, Raleigh/Durham, Boston, Atlanta, and even Pittsburgh seriously dwarf us in this area. I don't think winning the tax incentive war is going to be enough.

• Like 3

My guess is we cant compete, as there would be no way to get 50 k people in and out of downtown if that is where they would decide to fo. We have no viable mass transit system yet and would be a decade out from even being close. We have have a lack of housing as well. My guess it will go to one of the big boys.

• Like 3

From CNBC....

Here are the cities that match Amazon's wish list for its second headquarters

• Amazon wants to build a second HQ and offered a checklist of what it's looking for.
  • We matched some of the retailer's key criteria to cities and states for comparison.
  • Based on those results, Amazon might want to give New York, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco and Boston a close look.

AMAZON%20CHECLIST.PNG

Looks like Labor Force Education, Mass Transit and Airport are the biggest needs. 

Also, oddly Raleigh doesn't score well in Universities?? Hello, Duke, North Carolina, NC State!!

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

No doubt, any company any place would need a considerable timeline to ramp up to the 50k figure, as well as build infrastructure needed for office/living needs. Even DC wouldn't be able to do that turn-key.  But really! It's past time for the colleges in Nashville to ally to develop emerging technologies. It's just stupid that they haven't yet. And Vandy should take that lead with a new Communications/Technology complex on their property at 21st/Broadway. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Also, the RiverNorth site makes a lot of sense in that it could have easy bike and walk access to to the housing in Germantown and East Nashville with installation of nice green ways and shuttles. It would then have access to the proposed light rail system and Germantown-West End Trolley system. The Jefferson Street/I-24 interchange could be converted to a single point urban interchange if determined to be an improvement.....

36922087632_f969459bee_c.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, SumnerCountian said:

My first negative response, "It ain't happening here." Sorry to be such a debbie downer. 

I agree fully, if it happens here, they are pretty much making Nashville into a new market for tech and commerce. I dont think they want to take a risk like that and instead just go to a larger city.

2 hours ago, PHofKS said:

From CNBC....

Looks like Labor Force Education, Mass Transit and Airport are the biggest needs. 

Also, oddly Raleigh doesn't score well in Universities?? Hello, Duke, North Carolina, NC State!!

Seriously, RDU's biggest draw is its trifecta of world-class universities.  That, plus the fact that CNBC has stupidly ranked Memphis ahead of Nashville for universities makes this entire "study" a farce.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Seriously, RDU's biggest draw is its trifecta of world-class universities.  That, plus the fact that CNBC has stupidly ranked Memphis ahead of Nashville for universities makes this entire "study" a farce.

The fact that they ranked ORD, LGA and ATL (don't get me wrong, I personally like the airport overall, but it's in desperate need of TLC) ahead of DTW and DEN shows how much of a joke it is.

Okay, here is my hot take.

These items make us a potential player.

We are the IT City
Everyone wants to be with #1 and, for a host of reasons, Nashville is having its day in the sun.

No state tax on earned income.
Seattle just passed a municipal income tax and, if adjudicated favorably, the smart money is on WA implementing a state income tax.

Cost and Incentives
Tennessee and Nashville are business friendly, low cost (compared to most, if not all, of the other contenders), and historically competitive when incentives are required.

Recent College Graduates
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-best-cities-for-new-college-grads-in-2017
Plus, the work force is mobile...build it and they will come.

Does Bezos plan to enter the Healthcare market?
 US Healthcare is a $3+ Trilllion market and one of the few large market segments (transportation also comes to mind) in which Amazon does not compete. 

At present, I give Nashville a solid 15 % chance...bigger things have occurred with worse odds!

28 minutes ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

90-story Corporate HQ. 90-story Corporate HQ. 90-story Corporate HQ. 90-story Corporate HQ. 90-story Corporate HQ.

Tony G. can design it. Make the Signature Tower proposal look like a midget. 113.gif

For 50,000 workers they may need 4 or 5 of them ;) 

• Like 2

From the Atlanta Business Journal...

The first phase will involve an up to 1 million square-foot building to be developed by 2019, according to a filing by Amazon. The company is considering greenfield sites of about 100 acres, infill sites and existing buildings with on-site mass transit and within 45 miles of an international airport.

Comments;

• Kind of makes our chances seem slim.
  • River North does have 105 acres, though.
  • And 'greenfield' site apparently rules out the scrap metal yard.
  • The Bank of America building in Atlanta has about 1.2 million square feet. (55 stories) Charlotte's 60 story BOA has 1.4 million sf.  You can probably squeeze a million sf into a 45 story building and keep it under the 750' ceiling. (Would that still apply this far from the airport?)
  • The Transit referendum is in May. That would need to pass, I'm sure, and a plan to break ground right away to convince Amazon Nashville's on track.
Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1