Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Exactly.

Besides, statistically, Nashville and Atlanta are very similar when it comes to diversity, or at least that's what the US Census says.  Nashville and Fulton County both have 12.5% of their populations born outside the US (it's 7.0% for the city of Atlanta).  For Nashville, 16.9% of its residents speak a language other than English at home, and for Fulton County it's 16.3% (9.8% for just the city of Atlanta).  Fulton County has more Asians (7.2%) than Nashville (3.5%), but Nashville has more Hispanics (10.3% vs. 7.3%).

Unless, of course, FromParkAveToTN says "diversity" but really just means "African Americans" in which case yes, Atlanta is more "diverse."

Diversity to me also means more events, music venues, clubs, bars, etc. where you can hear different genres of music downtown. This is Music City so why can't  I go to a nice jazz venue,  reggae, hip-hop, Neo Soul, etc. Downtown? There's really no need to go downtown unless you are a fan of country music.  So change the description to Country Music City.  When I have family or friends visiting from New York and they are under the impression that this is "Music City" and want to go dinner and hear some jazz downtown, there's nothing else offered other than country music.  

Is this satire....? I think it is, but checking.

4 hours ago, Alley said:

I don't have enough diversity in my wallet to live in Green Hills or DT.  We need to fix that 'cause Green Hills is nice and I wouldn't mind living there.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

You mean Nashville's Grammy Award-winning symphony plays nothing but country songs?  How about Nashville Jazz Workshop on Adams Street?  Has BB King's switched to all-country?  Sambuca?  Mercy Lounge?  Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar is still open, isn't it?  The Frist regularly hosts jazz ensembles, and of course there's also Vanderbilt's outstanding Blair School of Music which has non-country concerts and recitals  almost non-stop during the school year.

Nashville's live music scene is definitely heavy on country, as that's what tourists come here for, but it is wrong and irresponsible to dismiss Nashville's amazing abundance of live music as just country.

No, none of that is still open. They're all country now.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, japan said:

I'm just curious, but what would make Nashville more inclusive?  Affordable housing? 

No, just a more diverse mix of people. @nativetenn hit the nail on the head, I think. Nashville is making strides with having a more , for certain, but we have a way to go. Affordable housing is always a plus, too!

Right now I live in Glencliff right now (very close to the intersection of Murfreesboro and Thompson), or as I've always referred to it as: Hoodbine. This is one of the most diverse areas of the city, IMO, and easily my second favorite neighborhood I've ever lived in.  So many kinds of people and cultures all getting along, for the most part. The 77 route notwithstanding, of course...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

You mean Nashville's Grammy Award-winning symphony plays nothing but country songs?  How about Nashville Jazz Workshop on Adams Street?  Has BB King's switched to all-country?  Sambuca?  Mercy Lounge?  Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar is still open, isn't it?  The Frist regularly hosts jazz ensembles, and of course there's also Vanderbilt's outstanding Blair School of Music which has non-country concerts and recitals  almost non-stop during the school year.

Nashville's live music scene is definitely heavy on country, as that's what tourists come here for, but it is wrong and irresponsible to dismiss Nashville's amazing abundance of live music as just country.

I can't tell if they are joking or not.

3rd and Lindsley, Nashville Underground, Marathon Music Works,  City Winery (mostly), Third Man Records, Rudy's Jazz Club (excellent), 12th & Porter, Municipal Auditorium, War Memorial, Acme (half the time), The combo of - Robert's, Layla's, Tootsie's, The Stage, Rippy's and Big Bang (while they do play some country, they have multiple levels and are quite tolerable and I always recommend them to people who ask if there are places on broadway that aren't super country)

I'll admit I don't like country at all but come on, there is so much live music that isn't country, I constantly have FOMO because I can't afford to go to it all.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I agree with the sentiments, but Chris Stapleton, Jason Isbell, and Sturgil Simpson are really doing a fine job of saving what’s good in country music. I have hope for the genre when guys like that are successful, the country music establishment is usually like 5-10 years late in adapting to changes in taste. Waylon, Willie, and Johnny fought the same establishment when they were putting out some of their best stuff in the late ‘60s-mid ‘70s, and Hank Williams was never accepted by the country establishment during his lifetime. 

I'm not a country music fan, but I've heard similar acclaim for Margo Price.

Edited by Rockatansky
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, nativetenn said:

You have to roll back the clock 25 years and further to find it. Today, it's really just pop.

Or broaden your definition.     I agree with you, I can't stand most of what has been played on "country radio" for the last 25 years (really, I'd have to go back almost 30 years to the debut albums of Clint Black and Garth Brooks, but I digress).       However, there is actually some really great music being produced today under the broader umbrella of the "country" genre by artists like Chris Stapleton, Sturgill Simpson, Margo Price, Jason Isbell, Maren Morris, Tyler Childers, Gillian Welch, Dave Rawlings, John Moreland and others that is such a refreshing alternative to the bro country crap you'll hear from the cover bands on Lower Broad.      You won't hear most of it on the radio, but who listens to radio anyway when Spotify is just a click away.   

• Like 4

On 7/11/2018 at 5:00 PM, satalac said:

Florida Georgia Line is more like a southern Nickelback. 

I know, but they really have an amazing integrated bar off Broadway (lower level is a dance club, main level is a calm country restaurant with a live stage, upper level is the same, and top level is a country stage with live music. They have an ingenious product, whether on not it has their %30 stake or no-pay-for-promotion or whatever... 

Say what you want about FGL but they are the kindest, most polite guys.

(sorry @nashvylle)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I know, but they really have an amazing integrated bar off Broadway (lower level is a dance club, main level is a calm country restaurant with a live stage, upper level is the same, and top level is a country stage with live music. They have an ingenious product, whether on not it has their %30 stake or no-pay-for-promotion or whatever... 

Say what you want about FGL but they are the kindest, most polite guys.

(sorry @nashvylle)

They actually have some decent music mixed in with their white boy hip hop thing.