Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Was any reason for this reported?  Anyone care to guess what, if anything, this means about the AMZN HQ2 sweepstakes w.r.t. Nashville's chances. 

A real estate deal fell through. I wouldn’t think this means anything, amazon fulfillment centers are a dime a dozen. There’s I believe 5 in the Nashville region already, with another on the way near Brick Church Pike. The jobs are relatively low-paying warehouse jobs (~$25,000 per year) primarily meant to make deliveries easier. HQ2 is completely separate from these kind of deals. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lexy said:

When will they reveal who the city is?  That's all I care about.  I doubt we get it, but one can never tell.  Everyone seems to "love" Boston and according to some Indy folks I know, there's nothing that city can do wrong.

I think it was the Nashville Business Journal that mentioned Bezos was going to have the final rose selection before EOY, but no specific date was mentioned.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Pretty sure he's already taken 20 other ladies (cities) to the fantasy suite.  Some possibly more than once. :tw_tounge_wink:

That is an ugly thought, but it is a good description of what Amazon hopes to get from this process.

Speaking of, I can understand how one metro can make a decision to go to the fantasy suite, but how does a conglomeration of counties like northern Virginia decide to disrobe with Bezos?  Have they formed a 'best friend with benefits' committee?  Never mind...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

That is an ugly thought, but it is a good description of what Amazon hopes to get from this process.

Speaking of, I can understand how one metro can make a decision to go to the fantasy suite, but how does a conglomeration of counties like northern Virginia decide to disrobe with Bezos?  Have they formed a 'best friend with benefits' committee?  Never mind...

If the reports are true that Nashville didn't offer a whole lot in the way of incentives (don't know if true...but saw that in one of the rumored reports)...maybe we turned down the fantasy suite and said "marry me or it ain't happening."

Yes...I know it's crude...but so is the "Bachelor." ;)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Amazon is going to milk it for all it's worth.  The announcement day, they'll do it like high school football recruits...and place 20 hats on a table, eliminating them one at a time. :dontknow:

AMAZON choice.jpg

That would be hilarious! Arrange the announcement in a high school gym in Seattle ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WSJ reports AMZN has visited some cities as it appears to be ending its due diligence for HQ2. Nashville and Atlanta were NOT even mentioned in the piece. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-revisits-some-cities-as-h2q-decision-looms-1539941400?mod=djemalertNEWS

The visits over the past couple of months include New York City, Newark, N.J., and Chicago, according to people familiar with the matter. In addition, Amazon has been following up with other locations, including Miami and the Washington, D.C.-area, according to some of the people. Some cities, like Raleigh, N.C., haven’t heard from the retail giant in months, according to people familiar with the matter.

• Like 3

Didn't quite get who that was according to...

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

WSJ reports AMZN has visited some cities as it appears to be ending its due diligence for HQ2. Nashville and Atlanta were NOT even mentioned in the piece. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-revisits-some-cities-as-h2q-decision-looms-1539941400?mod=djemalertNEWS

The visits over the past couple of months include New York City, Newark, N.J., and Chicago, according to people familiar with the matter. In addition, Amazon has been following up with other locations, including Miami and the Washington, D.C.-area, according to some of the people. Some cities, like Raleigh, N.C., haven’t heard from the retail giant in months, according to people familiar with the matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Those are all terrible cities. Chicago is the murder capital of the country,  Miami is sinking into the ocean,  DC, New York, and NJ are over priced, over populated, and crime infested,  Atlanta is the HIV/STD capital of the country. Ok to visit, but wouldn't want to live in any of those places. 

Cool.

• Haha 1

Weren’t they doing this to find a more business friendly place and a place more friendly to their employees from a tax and cost of living perspective? There’s a reason that corporations are moving their operations to places like Nashville, Atlanta, and Raleigh, and this would seem to go completely against that idea. 

• Like 4