ZestyEd

Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Was any reason for this reported?  Anyone care to guess what, if anything, this means about the AMZN HQ2 sweepstakes w.r.t. Nashville's chances. 

A real estate deal fell through. I wouldn’t think this means anything, amazon fulfillment centers are a dime a dozen. There’s I believe 5 in the Nashville region already, with another on the way near Brick Church Pike. The jobs are relatively low-paying warehouse jobs (~$25,000 per year) primarily meant to make deliveries easier. HQ2 is completely separate from these kind of deals. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


When will they reveal who the city is?  That's all I care about.  I doubt we get it, but one can never tell.  Everyone seems to "love" Boston and according to some Indy folks I know, there's nothing that city can do wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lexy said:

When will they reveal who the city is?  That's all I care about.  I doubt we get it, but one can never tell.  Everyone seems to "love" Boston and according to some Indy folks I know, there's nothing that city can do wrong.

I think it was the Nashville Business Journal that mentioned Bezos was going to have the final rose selection before EOY, but no specific date was mentioned.

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I think it was the Nashville Business Journal that mentioned Bezos was going to have the final rose selection before EOY, but no specific date was mentioned.

Media: "Ladies... this is the final rose."

Bezos: "Northern Virginia...... will you accept this rose?"

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Media: "Ladies... this is the final rose."

Bezos: "Northern Virginia...... will you accept this rose?"

Pretty sure he's already taken 20 other ladies (cities) to the fantasy suite.  Some possibly more than once. :tw_tounge_wink:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Pretty sure he's already taken 20 other ladies (cities) to the fantasy suite.  Some possibly more than once. :tw_tounge_wink:

That is an ugly thought, but it is a good description of what Amazon hopes to get from this process.

Speaking of, I can understand how one metro can make a decision to go to the fantasy suite, but how does a conglomeration of counties like northern Virginia decide to disrobe with Bezos?  Have they formed a 'best friend with benefits' committee?  Never mind...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

That is an ugly thought, but it is a good description of what Amazon hopes to get from this process.

Speaking of, I can understand how one metro can make a decision to go to the fantasy suite, but how does a conglomeration of counties like northern Virginia decide to disrobe with Bezos?  Have they formed a 'best friend with benefits' committee?  Never mind...

If the reports are true that Nashville didn't offer a whole lot in the way of incentives (don't know if true...but saw that in one of the rumored reports)...maybe we turned down the fantasy suite and said "marry me or it ain't happening."

Yes...I know it's crude...but so is the "Bachelor." ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, markhollin said:

"I think they've been really impressed with Nashville, even more than they were expecting to be.

In other words, they were pleasantly surprised but not overwhelmed.  HQ2 will go somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

In other words, they were pleasantly surprised but not overwhelmed.  HQ2 will go somewhere else.

Yes but we are now well positioned for HQ3.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty obvious that they chose the location a long, long time ago... they're just keeping this reality tv show going in the hopes that whatever location that is gets desperate and/or nervous and gives them even more financial incentives.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Amazon is going to milk it for all it's worth.  The announcement day, they'll do it like high school football recruits...and place 20 hats on a table, eliminating them one at a time. :dontknow:

 

AMAZON choice.jpg

That would be hilarious! Arrange the announcement in a high school gym in Seattle ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

That would be hilarious! Arrange the announcement in a high school gym in Seattle ;) 

Have Bezos pick up a hat and act like he's putting it on his head...then at the last second, throwing it behind him, ticking off yet another city.  :cry:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WSJ reports AMZN has visited some cities as it appears to be ending its due diligence for HQ2. Nashville and Atlanta were NOT even mentioned in the piece. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-revisits-some-cities-as-h2q-decision-looms-1539941400?mod=djemalertNEWS

The visits over the past couple of months include New York City, Newark, N.J., and Chicago, according to people familiar with the matter. In addition, Amazon has been following up with other locations, including Miami and the Washington, D.C.-area, according to some of the people. Some cities, like Raleigh, N.C., haven’t heard from the retail giant in months, according to people familiar with the matter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Man, this is tough to say, but this fall, I’m going to be taking my team’s talents to New York City” -Jeff Bezos to Jim Grey.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't quite get who that was according to...

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

WSJ reports AMZN has visited some cities as it appears to be ending its due diligence for HQ2. Nashville and Atlanta were NOT even mentioned in the piece. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-revisits-some-cities-as-h2q-decision-looms-1539941400?mod=djemalertNEWS

The visits over the past couple of months include New York City, Newark, N.J., and Chicago, according to people familiar with the matter. In addition, Amazon has been following up with other locations, including Miami and the Washington, D.C.-area, according to some of the people. Some cities, like Raleigh, N.C., haven’t heard from the retail giant in months, according to people familiar with the matter.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are all terrible cities. Chicago is the murder capital of the country,  Miami is sinking into the ocean,  DC, New York, and NJ are over priced, over populated, and crime infested,  Atlanta is the HIV/STD capital of the country. Ok to visit, but wouldn't want to live in any of those places. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Those are all terrible cities. Chicago is the murder capital of the country,  Miami is sinking into the ocean,  DC, New York, and NJ are over priced, over populated, and crime infested,  Atlanta is the HIV/STD capital of the country. Ok to visit, but wouldn't want to live in any of those places. 

Cool.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren’t they doing this to find a more business friendly place and a place more friendly to their employees from a tax and cost of living perspective? There’s a reason that corporations are moving their operations to places like Nashville, Atlanta, and Raleigh, and this would seem to go completely against that idea. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone feel like maybe Bezos wants to be more involved in politics over time?  The DC area would seem like a good place for him to be if he wants to have more and more influence.  Doesn't he own the Washington Post?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now