Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

OK  I think it's time to say (IMHO) what's the obvious.  Of course Amazon HQ2 would be fantastic for Nashville!!!  Who would turn it away? All the naysaying has to be folks just preparing themselves for the rejection. But to the point... do you think for a moment that City Hall and Amazon would NOT do what was necessary to create "affordable" housing? It would be the partnership to "be all" partnerships. 

But I am quite certain AMZN will NOT pick Nashville, for all its fun, livable and admirable characteristics.  It just does not have all the things they are seeking.  In fact, I would expect it to be ranked higher than Atlanta in the final analysis. 

Edited by MLBrumby

Relocating is expensive both for the employer and employee--and riskier than a local hire.  Why force yourself into the pain and expense of having to recruit nationally to fill so many diverse business and operational positions when you can plant your HQ2 in a major corporate center where that expertise already exists?  The cities on the short list are global cities, major transportation and shipping hubs, economic and political centers, all with mature infrastructure. Consider the major effects that Amazon has had on the growth and the consequential pains in Seattle, a city nearly three times Nashville's size. Those effects will be proportionally amplified--e.g. at 8+ million sq ft it would double the total office inventory of the downtown sub-market. Insane.  I think ultimately it would be a net positive for any city to get HQ2, but can see why Amazon may not be willing to risk such a large investment in a small- or mid-sized city.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Amazon is reportedly in the advanced stages of naming Crystal City, Virginia as its 2nd headquarters: Washington Post

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/03/amazon-reportedly-in-advanced-stages-of-naming-va-as-2nd-headquarters.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeGrella/status/1058768648884682753?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-1587054405913513630.ampproject.net%2F1811012008580%2Fframe.html

This is from Amazon's director of economic development. Kind of seems to verify it, yet not. It can read either way.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, satalac said:

The biggest takeaway is that Amazon hasn't denied the leaked information (like they usually do), which suggests there's some truth to it.

• Like 2

And then there are head-games. Until this give-and-take, I thought Washington Disney... but then now I'm thinking Austin. Why? No logical reason, other than it's Austin... the second most populous state and a lot more powerful politically b/c it's both parties. Everyone wants Tejas. 

15 hours ago, satalac said:

The replies are hilarious. 

• Like 1

Having lived in Crystal City very recently, I'm not sure where they'd put a campus that big. There are quite a few empty lots, but they'd have to spread it out a bit. Unless they start tearing out residential neighborhoods, or even the existing office areas, most of which have recently undergone huge amounts of renovation. Also, the infrastructure there is already pretty much maxed out. I'm surprised they didn't go for some place like Tyson's Corner or the Eisenhower Ave section of Alexandria.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

From the NBJ this morning.   https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/11/05/reports-amazon-close-to-picking-virginia-for-hq2.html

I am glad to see Nashville is not in the final mix. 

That's my sentiment, as well.      Being "chosen" by Amazon might seem like some kind of validation of something about our city, but, really, Nashville does not need it.     Believe me, the word is out about Nashville's merits as a location for doing business and growth will continue at a pace the city can handle.      Actually, some would question whether the city's services and infrastructure are able to keep up with the pace of growth we have now.     I just don't think having such a large percentage of the local economy tied to one private company is a healthy thing.     Companies come and go.       Amazon has been in existence for 24 years, which doesn't exactly make it an institution.    No city bidding for HQ2 should assume Amazon will remain the same company it is today indefinitely.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

Would not count Dallas out as a central  time zone and a  location that will really save big dollars compared to a DC or NYC choice. 

• Like 2