Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

1 hour ago, Dale said:

^ I predicted someone would concoct this rumor. 

Look, if it goes to NYC/DC that just shows it was a sham all along. Crystal City in particular is a dreary place, the antithesis of the type of cities millennials are supposed to be drawn to.

How is it a sham? May want to read the RFP again: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

Crystal City is literally across the river from DC. Like Nashville's hopeful HQ2 site River North close--which is also a particularly dreary place. I imagine $3.7 billion in direct development could change that, not to mention billions more in ancillary development.

Edited by SoundScan

7 hours ago, SoundScan said:

How is it a sham? May want to read the RFP again: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/Anything/test/images/usa/RFP_3._V516043504_.pdf

Crystal City is literally across the river from DC. Like Nashville's hopeful HQ2 site River North close--which is also a particularly dreary place. I imagine $3.7 billion in direct development could change that, not to mention billions more in ancillary development.

I think what they're getting at is this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Bezos to choose a place where HQ2 would really have a transformative effect, whether that be changing the political landscape of a locale  or bringing life to an economically depressed locale, and instead he simply chose two places in the country that already "have it all."

It's basically the continued concentration of economic activity in the same ol' top performing cities/states. It's his money and his company, but still a missed opportunity and unfortunate.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Now that Dale has joined the party, all we need is a heartwarming comment from grilled_cheese about suburbanites and we've got ourselves a good old-fashioned UP Pissing Contest.

Don't forget the incessant, overly sensitive political mudslinging!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Ugh oh, this article may make Dale angry. 

Why would any of this make Dale angry ? For starters, it sounds like just making stuff up. I mean, do you really think that Amazon would advance Indy and Columbus to the shortlist, then exclaim, on further investigation, “Hey, they don’t have transit!”  ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dale said:

Why would any of this make Dale angry ? For starters, it sounds like just making stuff up. I mean, do you really think that Amazon would advance Indy and Columbus to the shortlist, then exclaim, on further investigation, “Hey, they don’t have transit!”  ?

Trolling you Dale, as others ITT have done. Nashville was never under real consideration  imo, too small for a relocation of this size, not enough infrastructure, and lack of adequate universities to feed needed talent. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, samsonh said:

Trolling you Dale, as others ITT have done. Nashville was never under real consideration  imo, too small for a relocation of this size, not enough infrastructure, and lack of adequate universities to feed needed talent. 

Interesting to bring up a lack of adequate universities in the area. We like to talk up or local institutions; however, they are behind in the creation of a modern, world-class workforce. Glad to have Vanderbilt for sure but the rest simply serve a different purpose. It’s something State/University Leadership needs to address if we want to be even more competitive in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memphian said:

Interesting to bring up a lack of adequate universities in the area. We like to talk up or local institutions; however, they are behind in the creation of a modern, world-class workforce. Glad to have Vanderbilt for sure but the rest simply serve a different purpose. It’s something State/University Leadership needs to address if we want to be even more competitive in the future.

Yes agreed completely. We need to fund the technical and IT training of the future. Currently that is not really being done to the scale that needs to happen. Vandy is too small, and Belmont and Lipscomb are not doing it. 

We do not have the right kind of universities here. We can talk numbers all day long, but a higher caliber of Universities is what we need. We need more universities with higher graduation rates in the tech industries and we just do not have it.

Now if Vanderbilt decided to go on a growth initiative then maybe. We need a large respected program here, but Belmont is mostly business and music, MTSU has a pretty good under graduate program but they really need to expand the graduate study fields there. TN Tech is fine but a little far out from the Metro  and if the had a Nashville campus, that would be huge. 

The smaller schools just do not have the enrollment and the State Tech schools here are just that. Mostly two year degrees if not all and every major and minor city has them. Nothing special. TSU could do better, but it is difficult for HBCUs to compete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Perhaps those universities that aren’t up y’alls standards just don’t see themselves solely as job training academies for tech fields? I know I’m just naive but I think universities should aspire to be more than just vocational schools. 

Clearly they should be both. My time in college was great, but I knew that the education was for my next 40 years working. If the workplace of the future is changing, and it is, then we need our universities to be training people for those jobs. That means a large emphasis on computer science and those related high paying jobs. That is what will get you small and mid sized corporate relocations.