Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

43 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Clearly they should be both. My time in college was great, but I knew that the education was for my next 40 years working. If the workplace of the future is changing, and it is, then we need our universities to be training people for those jobs. That means a large emphasis on computer science and those related high paying jobs. That is what will get you small and mid sized corporate relocations. 

That's part of the issues I have with so many believing college is the only answer (I have a college degree with masters hours...so I'm not saying college is worthless).  Would be nice to start having more institutions that focus on the jobs of tomorrow...with a degree path that is more pinpointed toward a career without all of the other "hours" of classes.  Not every degree has to include the "well-rounded" 120+ hours to get the degree.    Hyper-focused "colleges" of the future need to start springing up.

I am not saying they are up or not up to anyone's standards. This is a matter of recruiting higher paying tech jobs here. The vocational schools play a huge roll in recruitment as well, as do all of the area universities. I am just saying the local universities could do a better job along with the State in what programs are offered in the Nashville area. Its getting better.

The companies looking at Nashville or Boston , or Nashville and DC will choose those locations over Nashville if looking solely at college and universities. On the flip side,  I am not sure how many tech jobs are going to Charlotte but they really do not have a major university there to compete with what universities are here, but Charlotte sure recruited a large amount of business over the past 20 years or so, so there are many factors involved.

This is a matter of competing with cities around the country and the world now the everything is more globalized, and a city or states ability  to recruit new businesses to the area.

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

That's part of the issues I have with so many believing college is the only answer (I have a college degree with masters hours...so I'm not saying college is worthless). 

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

It seems like the only thing that has changed is the employer's insistence on the college degree as a surrogate training process, which seems to be based on the fact that degree holders are much more common than previously, which in turn seems to be based on the ubiquity of aid programs and subsidized loans.

This is easy for me to say, but not everyone needs to go or even should go to college. A lot of people even in the high-tech fields would be better served by four years of on-the-job experience than sitting in a classroom. Even if the trainees had to work for free and take out loans to cover their living expenses during that time (though ideally, they wouldn't), they'd still come out with a more relevant resume and probably less debt to boot.

Obviously, some careers require a college education (lawyer, nurse, etc.) but the tech field is certainly not one of those.

Many younger business leaders are skilled at identifying job candidates who are enthusiastic and educated, though not through the traditional college track.  A recent perspective on this topic can be found in a new book by Ryan Craig, A New U: Faster + Cheaper Alternatives To College.  If you don't have time to read the book, you can find him interviewed on some podcasts - I recommend the Art Of Manliness podcast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My apologies, as I forgot about  UNC Charlotte.

No problem my nephew goes there now and my brother and I both have degrees from there.   Will be in Nashville next week to visit my niece who goes to Belmont and believe me I will check out what is going on. 

• Like 4

On 11/6/2018 at 4:21 AM, Dale said:

^ I predicted someone would concoct this rumor. 

Look, if it goes to NYC/DC that just shows it was a sham all along. Crystal City in particular is a dreary place, the antithesis of the type of cities millennials are supposed to be drawn to.

I lived in CC for 3 years. It has gotten its act together and is quite a bit better today than even 6 or 7 years ago.

Edited by Nathan_in_the_UK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No problem my nephew goes there now and my brother and I both have degrees from there.   Will be in Nashville next week to visit my niece who goes to Belmont and believe me I will check out what is going on. 

Hope you enjoy yourself. Let us know if you need anything.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hope you enjoy yourself. Let us know if you need anything.

Thanks here is a question what times is the traffic heaviest morning and evening rush coming from Franklin Brentwood into downtown?  we here in Charlotte have a good 2-2.5 hour rush hour(s) now not quite up to Atlanta or DC standards yet LOL

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Hearing this morning that the official announcement will be a little later on this morning  and Crystal City and Queens are the winners. Can we close the thread now?

Do you have any idea if Nashville is getting a secondary piece of the expansion, such as a healthcare office?