Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

6 hours ago, ariesjow said:

I think Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen have been in Nashville for a while off and on. I used to  see them occasionally at the Whole Foods in Green Hills a few years ago. 

They’ve been around Nashville for probably 4 or 5 years. They used to come into the Station Inn on occasion and they had a condo in the Gulch.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PHofKS said:

We should know intuitively what this forum is about and refrain from using it to vent personal political views.

I would just like to point out that I was not attacking any other forum posters - merely adding commentary on the current state of affairs in our city/country.  If we deleted every comment in this forum that had embedded political views in them, it would cut in half the number of posts.

As a moderator, can you provide some guidance as to what is considered on-topic?  I thought we were discussing a broad-spectrum issue that included economics, politics, corruption, corporate strategy, geography, finance, development, competition, and public opinion in general.  Please correct me if I was wrong about any of that.

11 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Interesting design, hopefully nobody looking at this report had any kinda of visual impairment, that orange on grey is all kinds of bad from a contrast standpoint.

This is just an odd presentation, lots of random photos of things and then a bunch of numbers at the end. 

37 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think maybe the words used may have been overboard. Anytime the word Nazi is used, the implications can be disturbing. I think that may have been a poor choice on your part, IMO. That may have inflamed a few here and that was the objection. You are normally fair minded on issues and we all get a little bent out of shape when politics get thrown into the mix and arguments start, feelings get hurt, and the topic ends up going to hell in a handbasket.

That's why we really try to avoid as much tit for tat political discussion back and forth on here and I really encourage that to go to the Coffee house where few follow or care what happens there.

Can't we just agree that everyone's a Nazi and then go from there ? :)

^

We're staying off topic for one more post because I loved that place. "ONLY GOOD CUSTOMERS." If he didn't feel like it, he'd tell you to go somewhere else because he wasn't serving you.

And you could get two rolls the size of your forearm for like $7 out the door (I often had half a roll left over because I was so full). He wouldn't even accept tips!

• Like 3

That makes me think of a time I was in Toronto with a friend and we were eating at a Chinese restaurant and we ordered.  Right before our food was to be delivered, we decided we might want to try some dim sum, because we had never had any before and wanted to see what it was like.  We called the waitress over and told her and she said, "No...too much food...you no get dim sum...you come back tomorrow."  We just sat looking at her and didn't know what to say. :shok:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

That makes me think of a time I was in Toronto with a friend and we were eating at a Chinese restaurant and we ordered.  Right before our food was to be delivered, we decided we might want to try some dim sum, because we had never had any before and wanted to see what it was like.  We called the waitress over and told her and she said, "No...too much food...you no get dim sum...you come back tomorrow."  We just sat looking at her and didn't know what to say. :shok:

Lol maybe it’s a cultural thing. I went to Joe’s Shanghai in lower Manhattan a few years ago and got yelled at by the waiter. I had ordered some soup dumplings and some sort of seafood dish, and the waiter came by and hollered something in what I’m assuming was Mandarin or Cantonese. I didn’t know what the hell he was talking about so I asked him twice to repeat himself thinking I was just not understanding him through his accent. After the second time he exploded “SEAFOODPLATTERANDSOUPDUMPLINGS!!?!” Of course, being New York everyone looked at me like I was in the wrong in that situation :rofl:. The funny thing is how excited we were to go there, our first like good New York restaurant on our first trip to the city. It was like going to Disney world and getting screamed at by Minnie Mouse. We basically went straight from the airport to the hotel, threw our bags in our room and then ran over to JS for an early dinner, and then learned very quickly that in New York the norms of Southern social etiquette don’t apply ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for posting KJHburg. I hate they always use that nasty shot angle for a picture.

The big questions I think we all have now is what kind of timeline we are looking at.

How fast can they get the buildings finished. My guess right now is three years from now they may open if they can start in 6 months. Is a 2 and a half year build out reasonalbe or do you guys think it willtake more?

The reason I am saying 6 months from now is they have not even started the infrastructure work on that side of Church.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

"In addition, Amazon has predicted about one-third of its workers will walk or bike to work, Briley said. Efforts to create better infrastructure for pedestrians and cyclists will take priority, and he said the city will work with the Tennessee Department of Transportation to better manage traffic in and out of town."

Briley alluded to a re-examining of transit. Maybe it wont be quite four years before transit is a major conversation (might just be three).

I do remember Briley saying, immediately after transit was crushed, that his attention would turn to improvements coming from a variety of funding sources.

• Like 2

when I was there last week I thought I heard Amazon would start hiring in Jan. so pretty soon.  I thought I heard they would open it first in WeWork but to me they will outgrow that pretty fast until their new Yards building is done.  They really need some temporary space and I don't know the market as well.  Is there anyone who just moved out an office downtown to another building and has some space to lease short term or sublease?  

As for the workers 1/3 walking or biking I guess that will depend on who they hire.  If young and single probably will be downtown but someone more experienced with a family further out.   I think this will be great upward pressure on your intown neighborhoods like 12 South, Germantown etc. even down to Green Hills.  Maybe some will transfer from Seattle and they might want a home in the suburbs but it just really depends on how young and youthful this workforce is.  

I would say minimum 2 years or so for the new tower to get done as I understand it has not even started. 

• Like 3