Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

No I doubt it, but Glover doesn't let common sense stop him. He just wants his name in the news as much as possible.

I wish he would go after the real problems effecting the budget.

I’ve seen him in the news more than every other council member combined. He truly loves the attention. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, NissanvilleTitans said:

I'm probably 100% wrong about this because I usually am about things but does anyone else feel like Amazon originally wanted Nashville but due to it's size as a city and even more so because those incentive packages from Ny and DC were too large to pass up, they decided to break it up into 3 parts? From a location and logistical standpoint, Nashville just makes sense. It's almost dead center for the entire eastern half, and even a little more, of the country. You can in the large Ne cities or the big Texas cities in about the same time. Or the large Midwest cities, like Minneapolis, or the big Florida cities in about the same time. I was letting my imagination run wild and started thinking as Amazon continues to grow from just a tech giant into also a large delivery company, what if they start buying their own planes and start delivering overseas to different hubs. Nashville and it's airport could become Amazon's international hub. That's huge! Anyway, I also could be wrong on almost all of this, lol.

IMG_20181115_081830.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Armacing said:

I agree.  Think of Nashville as the mid-point of all mid-points:  Memphis (FedEx), Louisville (UPS), Atlanta (UPS).  Nashville is in the middle of all these logistics centers, and if Amazon wants to figure out a way of cutting those parcel carriers out of the profit pipeline, they need to handle their own logistics.  I think that will become the long-term vision for Amazon's distribution strategy, and it looks like the execution part of that strategy will hinge on the efforts of folks based in Nashville.  Very exciting!

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:28 PM, Pdt2f said:

+Cincinatti (DHL), Indianapolis (Fedex), Huntsville (Cargolux among others). 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, japan said:

Exactly.  Is this where Amazon starts their own Fedex/UPS.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, bnacincy said:

Amazon is building their $1.5 billion dollar Prime Air cargo hub here in Boone county KY where Cincinnati/Northern Ky International Airport (CVG) is located. 

They are headed for total vertical integration....except for maybe ground transportation-that'll be next!

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, titanhog said:

When we talk about Amazon one day competing against UPS / FedEx...are we saying they'll eventually just handle all of their own shipping...or are we saying they will become a full package delivery service and deliver items not sold through Amazon?

Saw some interesting news regarding our speculations on Amazon air hub.  @bnacincy is correct.  Amazon is building a $1.5 billion dollar air hub at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in Hebron, Ky.

Article from Feb. 2017: https://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-us-jobs-ecommerce-company-intends-build-15-billion-air-cargo-hub-2484687

The massive expenditure will be located at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in Hebron, Ky. The hub, which will occupy about two million square feet, will reportedly create around 2,000 jobs—marking a small step toward the company’s promise to create 100,000 new jobs in the United States by 2018.

The decision to build an air hub of its own will lessen Amazon’s reliance on traditional carriers like UPS and FedEx—both of which operate not far from Amazon’s planned hub, with the largest UPS hub located in Louisville, Ky. and FedEx’s in Memphis, Tenn. Amazon will share the Cincinnati airport with delivery company DHL, which also has a hub there.

Building the air cargo hub will give Amazon a base of operation for its growing airborne fleet. Last year the company began leasing planes to create an air cargo network. It planned to have a total of 40 cargo planes, though the Wall Street Journal reports just 16 are currently a part of the company’s fleet.

Those planes have operated under the name Amazon Prime Air and have been given an Amazon-themed paint job on their exteriors.

Amazon’s continued expansion of its transportation network seem to spell out an intention to haul and deliver packages to customers itself. In addition to its planes, Amazon has bought more than 4,000 truck trailers.

And, this news recently: https://www.wcpo.com/news/national/ups-and-fedex-plunge-on-amazon-air-fears

He notes that Amazon (AMZN), which currently is leasing 40 cargo jets, could eventually have 100 planes running and estimates that the planned Amazon Air routes could overlap with more than two-thirds of the volume flown by UPS and FedEx.

Amazon has made big investments to bulk up Amazon Air. In the past few years, it has bought stakes in two freight delivery airlines -- Air Transport Services Group (ATSG) and Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings (AAWW).

So while we may not land THE Amazon Prime Air hub since it looks like they have invested in Cinci, we could still possibly see a mini-hub in Nashville.  Maybe similar to other minihubs such as FedEx's Indy hub?  Not sure exactly how this works with the other carriers.  Just not familiar enough with the business.  Not sure how much UPS and FedEx air traffic we get either.  Anyone know what other cargo carriers BNA sees??

Then there is this: http://fortune.com/2018/12/04/amazon-prime-air-chicago-rockford-airport-hub/

Amazon is investing in an existing hub for its Prime shipping program at the Chicago Rockford International Airport.

The planned 120,000-sq.-ft. expansion may as much as double the Amazon jobs at the airport and will make room for eight more of Amazon’s Prime jets from the retail giant’s fleet of 767 cargo planes, according to MyStateLine.com.

(amzn, -5.78%) Amazon Air is the midpoint hub for one- and two-day delivery orders placed through Amazon’s Prime membership program. The expansion is not a surprise, say local officials. Amazon employs between 250 and 300 people at the airport right now, according to Peoria Public Radio. Already, Chicago Rockford has the nation’s 22nd busiest cargo business in terms of volume, and the city’s mayor, Tom McNamara, says Rockford is one of the top three airports of the more than 20 that Amazon Air currently uses nationwide.

Also, I thought it was curious how the first article mentions Amazon buying up lots of truck trailers.  Could Nashville see a Amazon hub type facility for trucks soon?  I know there is at least one Amazon distribution center near Nashville, maybe more?

We may not see anything significant.  Just speculating what else could come with this supply chain industry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really believe Amazon had their eyes set on Atlanta at first, but the politics in Georgia turned them off completely. In fact, had Stacey Abrams won, it's probably where this operations center would have gone (thus why Nashville got the 11th hour call). Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they selected Nashville as a way to thumb their nose at Atlanta. 

In hindsight, I'm sure some type of office was always destined for the DC area given the Pentagon contract.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

Believe me Atlanta will do just fine and is doing so  and they are on  quite a jobs announcement streak themselves here of late.  I think the lack of income tax might have swayed them to Nashville's favor and the Central time zone.  Plus TN has a strong distribution logistics industry.   Easy probably to get some FedExers to jump ship over to Nashville.  

Some  recent jobs to the ATL 1000 jobs with BlackRock from NYC  500 jobs with Starbucks  Salesforce 600 jobs  etc     I would not worry about Georgia .  

GA press releases on new jobs   https://www.georgia.org/press-releases?page=0

• Like 2

8 hours ago, timmay143 said:

So while we may not land THE Amazon Prime Air hub since it looks like they have invested in Cinci, we could still possibly see a mini-hub in Nashville.

Also, I thought it was curious how the first article mentions Amazon buying up lots of truck trailers.  Could Nashville see a Amazon hub type facility for trucks soon?

We may not see anything significant.

All of these Amazon operations will be run from the Operations Center Of Excellence in Nashville.  BTW, can we call this Amazon office OCOE?  Any other ideas for a catchy name?

• Like 1

Well...this is a bummer...

These newly released renderings show a 20-story tower containing 566,000 square feet of office space and street-level retail. The building will be located at Church Street and a yet-to-be-constructed road named Upper 10th Avenue North. That street will be stacked atop the existing 10th Avenue North, which crosses underneath Church Street below the Downtown YMCA. The renderings also depict a neighboring tower that is described as a "future phase," in documents filed Dec. 6 at Metro's Planning Department.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/12/06/first-look-amazons-office-tower-in-downtown.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

OK, one thing I was wrong about is that the tall boy was set in stone , but they have gone back to the original plan of two towers. Both of which will be in the 20 story range. No new tallest for us again. But I was correct about the number of floors to meet the square footage.

Nice that we're getting 2 towers...but dang it...I was hoping for a super tall Amazon tower.

• Like 1

But really! I don't know a lot about construction and development (et.al.) but at what point is building two buildings more economical than one taller tower?  Seems like you're spending double the money on foundation, design, engineering, etc., compared to going twice (or even more) as tall with one? You also have the added benefit of not utilizing a potential building site for a compatible company's space needs.  Question: Is there a person/group in Metro government that actually discourages taller buildings? I know that MDHA (in its apparent corruption) has done that. But this is not an MDHA development. 

• Like 1