Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

On 12/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, Hey_Hey said:

The typical strategy is by mandating inclusion of affordable housing in new developments (inclusionary zoning) or through rent controls.

Both of which are illegal in TN. :(

On 12/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, Hey_Hey said:

Affordable housing advocates need to do one thing: INCREASE THE NUMBER OF UNITS AVAILABLE

Agree 110%.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Few pics from around amazon Seattle Thursday. imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

I never saw any Amazon signs on any of the buildings. 

Not even a smile?! That's really weird. 

Anyone else noticed their commercials on TV don't say Amazon... but they do have the smile. When I first saw the one that runs during NFL games (lots of associated companies represented) I actually thought it was a Coke commercial. 

I know from some show I’ve seen on tv that is the Amazon area but I don’t know exactly which buildings are the Amazon building’s since I didn't see any signs.

There are some really nice looking buildings around that Amazon bio doom.  They look nicer in person than in my pics. I hope our buildings use color similar to the way seattle’s have. 

Nashville next?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/seattle-ization-american-cities-fear-whats-happened-here/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1&fbclid=IwAR12c5J2ZuLJ7FkHeANI80sed0_MmoPTQaBZRPquZppOyoA6ghUypFwCxk0

How’s this for irony? While we’ve been worried about Seattle becoming the next San Francisco, it turns out other cities have been worried about becoming the next Seattle.

That’s right. “Seattle-ization” is a thing now, at least according to a New York Times article published last week. It’s described as “a particularly dire diagnosis,” and characterized by high housing costs and tech wealth, a combination that’s thoroughly transformed the city in an alarmingly short span of time.

Even in New York City, apparently, some folks are terrified that the planned Amazon campus there could turn the place into “Seattle on steroids,” according to Vice Magazine.

The most recent Cost of Living Index release, for the 3rd quarter of 2018, pegs Seattle at 53.6 percent above the national average. In just six years, our index score jumped by about 38 points. No other city comes close to matching that.

More places to live mean cheaper costs. I'm not sure anyone on the council or mdha understands that, do they?

Agreed with @Mr_Bond all of the cities zoning needs to be revisited and analyzed. Nashville is a growing city it needs to be promoting density in the urban core and surrounding areas, like inside 440 (the middle loop, I guess).

• Like 3

@PaulChinetti can you use your new drone and show council members all the potential sites along charlotte avenue, dickerson pike, murfreesboro road, etc. in Nashville that can be utilized for more housing?

We need to be like Minneapolis in our approach to affordable housing. Incentives for the private sector to build more housing, and let's hope it's an over supply to bring down costs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr_Bond said:

I'm not making a blanket statement here to remove all zoning laws, nor am I suggesting that all restrictions are bad.

"Bad" is a matter of perspective.  If I was a homeless person, then I would consider any zoning law or building code that raises the price of land/housing to be "bad" because I have no money to pay for it.  I commend you for recognizing that one man's Quality-Of-Life-Zoning-Law is another man's Doomed-To-Poverty-Or-Homelessness-Law.

• Like 2