Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

The biggest problem is that when an area in a city becomes "the hot place to be"...the price increases on everything, from housing, food, gas, etc.  So...the less money you have, the further you have to go away from these areas to make ends meet.  Eventually, if we're not careful, there will only be rich people and very poor people living in public housing nearby who live in and around the downtown area.  I don't think we should ever just accept that "the more money that pours into downtown, the better it will be for the city."

You wonder why the suburbs keep expanding and why even though Nashville's population increases, the suburbs increase even more?  It's because the "it city"  tag doesn't automatically make this city better for most people.  If anything, it prices most people out.  Displacement and sprawl aren't always about "white flight"...as I'm seeing many more minorities from Nashville moving into my own community here in the suburbs so they can afford a place to live.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, titanhog said:

The biggest problem is that when an area in a city becomes "the hot place to be"...the price increases on everything, from housing, food, gas, etc.  So...the less money you have, the further you have to go away from these areas to make ends meet.  Eventually, if we're not careful, there will only be rich people and very poor people living in public housing nearby who live in and around the downtown area.  I don't think we should ever just accept that "the more money that pours into downtown, the better it will be for the city."

You wonder why the suburbs keep expanding and why even though Nashville's population increases, the suburbs increase even more?  It's because the "it city"  tag doesn't automatically make this city better for most people.  If anything, it prices most people out.  Displacement and sprawl aren't always about "white flight"...as I'm seeing many more minorities from Nashville moving into my own community here in the suburbs so they can afford a place to live.

More jobs means more opportunity.  This is a great place to be if you are willing to advance your skill set or if you have people skills. Tons of money to be made. It is tougher on those that work in teaching/municipal/state jobs because they cannot go out and make more money. Most other people can. Tons of great jobs out there right now, and more on the way.

Amazon expects to hire "several hundred" people in 2019, particularly in the second half of the year. That's according to Holly Sullivan, the company's director of worldwide economic development.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/01/03/heres-how-many-people-amazon-plans-to-hire-in.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, markhollin said:

Amazon expects to hire "several hundred" people in 2019, particularly in the second half of the year. That's according to Holly Sullivan, the company's director of worldwide economic development.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/01/03/heres-how-many-people-amazon-plans-to-hire-in.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Have they announced where their office will be until their new tower is completed?

42 minutes ago, titanhog said:

But...that's kinda putting everyone in the same pot, when any city's population is a vast mix of highly educated, not-so-educated, young, old, etc.  It's easy to say it's a great place "if you are willing to advance your skill set"...but this still leaves out people who are of retirement age, disabled or lack the resources.  These are the people I'm talking about...and they are a significant percentage of the population.  These are the ones that can easily get left behind or displaced in a time like this...and all I'm saying is that we shouldn't forget that gentrification is a real issue...age is an issue...disabilities are an issues...etc.

Those are all real issues. I know since I fit into one of the categories you mentioned.  As you may have noticed from many of my posts that you typically disagree with, I support social safety nets that help those very types of people. But oh well. 

8 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Those are all real issues. I know since I fit into one of the categories you mentioned.  As you may have noticed from many of my posts that you typically disagree with, I support social safety nets that help those very types of people. But oh well. 

As a city grows and the cost of living increases, each resident must make adjustments to their housing situation - make more money to buy a place closer to work, quickly buy what you can afford and never move again, move into/ buy a smaller living space, move further away from the expensive parts of town, move into a subsidized housing arrangement, etc.  If zoning and overlay prevent an increase in the number of smaller housing units (boarding houses, affordable housing, tiny houses, etc.), then people must move further away.  We need to increase the market's freedom to supply and build smaller living spaces in town.

It is the wealthy/current property owners who vote for restrictions that reduce the supply of smaller housing units.  In this way, the wealthy are saying, "I don't want you living next to me.  Move further away."

• Like 2

I base this on absolutely nothing other than my knowledge of the areas and what I've gleamed from you all on the boards. Just an idea that came to me as we've been talking over the past few days. Let's say for residential buildings.

- Green, is free for all on height, lot restrictions.

- Yellow, lots should be able to accommodate 5/8 residences depending on lot size, without need for special zoning.

- Orange, lots should be able to accommodate 3/5 residences depending on lot size, without need for special zoning.

Thinking of lots in my hood and weho, some of east nasty. Compared to lots in 12 south and green hills. The lots are generally bigger in the orange I would say. 

That would give the city a nice bell curve look for all angles, tallest in the middle petering out as you go all around.

Now tear it apart and tell me how it's a awful idea. 

Zones.png

Edited by PaulChinetti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samsonh said:

So you're saying we finally agree on something?

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Zones.png

The green area is going to be renamed "RichPeopleVille" :whistling:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

So you're saying we finally agree on something?

giphy.gif

The green area is going to be renamed "RichPeopleVille" :whistling:

The Council can’t require developers to  include afforadable housing. But they sure don’t have to approve any projects that don’t have any.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

The Council can’t require developers to  include afforadable housing. But they sure don’t have to approve any projects that don’t have any.

Or they can induce affordable housing via tax breaks for projects that include affordable housing (like they do here in nyc) 

18 hours ago, samsonh said:

I support social safety nets that help those very types of people. But oh well. 

That solution has been tried hundreds of times around the world and the result is that everyone ends up living in poverty.  I think people are starting to realize that building a "rigged" economy where only a select few enjoy the privileges of crony capitalism (i.e., government guaranteed monopolies) and the rest of the population lands in a "social safety net" where they forever languish in poverty is an egregious form of oppression.  I would like to see how these people with "advanced skills" and "people skills" do in a truly free market without the government propping them up and outlawing their competition.

• Thanks 2

I agree with your distain of crony capitalism and the government picking winners and losers. However, there are numerous people living and even prospering between your binary choices of -  recepients of the largesse of crony capitalism or languishing in poverty.

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

I agree with your distain of crony capitalism and the government picking winners and losers. However, there are numerous people living and even prospering between your binary choices of -  recepients of the largesse of crony capitalism or languishing in poverty.

So where do the new Amazon employees fall on that spectrum?