Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎14 at 2:01 PM, AronG said:

Won't argue that there aren't tradoffs, but your idea that we need to design bike lanes explicitly so people can swerve in and out of the vehicle lanes to avoid debris is typical of the way they've been conceived in Nashville to date. My point is that we have the demand and are ready for a few key bike/scooter routes that are designed for actual, comfortable, mainstream use, not as afterthoughts for the 1% of spandex-wearing enthusiasts who are interested in risking their a** shooting in and out of car traffic to dodge storm drains.

If you're looking for a design that accommodates all skill levels and purposes of cycling then the answer more likely than not is going to be a bicycle boulevard or other shared street. The point of these is to reduce the number of cars and their speed rather than attempt to segregate traffic. There are enough roadways in the CBD and other urban areas to suggest this could be implemented on some without inducing congestion on others.

In any case it is worth asking if the Church Street viaduct is the place to accommodate both roadway traffic and beginner or recreational cycling. It is a viaduct, after all. I'm not trying to say that these users should not be considered but rather that some roadways are better fits, and have varying demands, for different modes and purposes of transportation than others. Not every roadway has to be a "complete street" that does everything while doing nothing.

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎14 at 2:01 PM, AronG said:

The on-sidewalk/non-grade-separated bike lanes on 11th, 28/31 (and 1st) are an interesting typology, and in my experience a failed one. You called them "shared-use paths", which sounds right, because they just turn into a few bikers/scooters weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic. They seem like another example of us doing 99% of our engineering around car traffic, then letting pedestrians and anything else fight over the crumbs.

I'm also not sure the 11th Avenue redesign counts as engineering around car traffic. It was at one time four lanes with zero bike/ped infrastructure. It's now two lanes and the majority of the right-of-way width is dedicated to the shared-use paths and street furniture.

As for the paths themselves, they are a good solution to get bicycle (and now scooter, etc.) traffic away from cars in areas that don't have a critical mass of cycle or pedestrian traffic. 11th Avenue is a good example, as would be the Church Street viaduct. You could take your family riding up 11th and count on one hand the number of pedestrians you see, simply because of the nature and location of the roadway. Same for the Church Street viaduct. Lower Broadway on the other hand would be a poor application. Again, not every road has to have the same treatment and not all roads require all treatments.

• Thanks 1

Brillant post.

3 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

In any case it is worth asking if the Church Street viaduct is the place to accommodate both roadway traffic and beginner or recreational cycling. It is a viaduct, after all. I'm not trying to say that these users should not be considered but rather that some roadways are better fits, and have varying demands, for different modes and purposes of transportation than others. Not every roadway has to be a "complete street" that does everything while doing nothing.

That first AMZN tower looks like it's grown a floor or two from the previous iteration. I'm not so good at counting floors (my eyes go wonky :tw_flushed:) but it looks a tad taller (leaner) than the recently 'cut down' version. 

Also, I seem to remember the second tower was the same height as the first one, but the exterior "wings" rose up toward the north. In that picture, it looks considerably taller.... by another 50' or so. 

If this rendering is drawn in proportion to the other buildings in NY, then the office towers should be quite prominent. I base this on the shorter one being about 30% taller than the Grand Hyatt which I'd expect to top out somewhere around 300'.  So add another 30% height to that and you'll get a very tall office tower in the high 300s. So a really good chance the second one will rise taller than 400'.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I agree that not every street needs to be a complete street, but due to the fact that CSX is not going anywhere anytime soon, we need to have at least two of these viaducts be more complete. Demonbruen is quite honestly a sad attempt at it, so that leaves Broadway and Church as the viable candidates for a redesign and integrating these strategies. There was no metrics to say that we needed to design all roadways around cars and continually expand our roads to the point that people need to run across four to five lanes of traffic when they are walking in a downtown area, but we built them nonetheless. Society is shifting from a design standpoint and we need to work to implement the best strategies for a successful city and that is the improvement of bike and pedestrian infrastructure.

Drop the lane count on both Broadway and Church, or make the lanes the absolute minimum to reduce speeding and increase comfort for ALL users. Cars are no longer all the users on these streets.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm also not sure the 11th Avenue redesign counts as engineering around car traffic. It was at one time four lanes with zero bike/ped infrastructure. It's now two lanes and the majority of the right-of-way width is dedicated to the shared-use paths and street furniture.

As for the paths themselves, they are a good solution to get bicycle (and now scooter, etc.) traffic away from cars in areas that don't have a critical mass of cycle or pedestrian traffic. 11th Avenue is a good example, as would be the Church Street viaduct. You could take your family riding up 11th and count on one hand the number of pedestrians you see, simply because of the nature and location of the roadway. Same for the Church Street viaduct. Lower Broadway on the other hand would be a poor application. Again, not every road has to have the same treatment and not all roads require all treatments.

Sure 11th is sparse on pedestrians right now, but that's because it doesn't connect anything. It was a down payment towards future capacity, and one that could pay off now. It's easy to imagine a 2021 where Metro and/or the Nashville Yards developers spent some money building out real dedicated bike infrastructure on Church from 11th to Rosa Parks. With a good connection to the 11th St bike lanes/greenway, we would have a traffic-separated route connecting two densified areas (the gulch & the new Nashville Yards neighborhood) with a significant amount of potential residential/office/tourist cross-traffic. And a bonus of at least some connectivity into downtown, since Church below 8th is a pretty traffic-calmed environment. It would be a great test case to see how much traffic we could move if we actually provided safe, dedicated bike/scooter facilities that allow you to get somewhere useful. Tack on dedicated/reworked facilities along the riverfront and some eye-catching wayfinding and we'd have the start of a real network.

"Bicycle boulevards" are great in the right environment, but in downtown Nashville it just leads to bikers/scooters sitting with cars in traffic gridlock. Lots of people want to drive their car into downtown, and that's fine, but as the downtown population mushrooms let's give everybody making trips of less than a mile or two an alternative way to get around without sitting in the traffic. It should be a win-win: nobody's happy with the scooters in the roads and sidewalks, but the truth is they're off-loading a bunch of traffic that would otherwise clog up the car lanes.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts as they seem like a window into the prevalent thinking. Did I see in some other thread that you work in this field? I realize that I'm probably delusional in these hopes. I know it will be much easier for them to stick with the existing form factors. Here's hoping we at least get some kind of improvements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That first AMZN tower looks like it's grown a floor or two from the previous iteration. I'm not so good at counting floors (my eyes go wonky tw_flushed.png) but it looks a tad taller (leaner) than the recently 'cut down' version. 

Also, I seem to remember the second tower was the same height as the first one, but the exterior "wings" rose up toward the north. In that picture, it looks considerably taller.... by another 50' or so. 

If this rendering is drawn in proportion to the other buildings in NY, then the office towers should be quite prominent. I base this on the shorter one being about 30% taller than the Grand Hyatt which I'd expect to top out somewhere around 300'.  So add another 30% height to that and you'll get a very tall office tower in the high 300s. So a really good chance the second one will rise taller than 400'.

I was seeing the same thing. I would bet at least 300+ feet for both towers. They look more equal in height in the renderings shown in the sister article about the $15 million Nashville has committed to.

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

Gah that Y is already busy as humanly possible. Just thinking what it will be like when the YARDS is up and running.

Also can we somehow skin that power grid thing across the street?

I have to think the Y will buy the parking lot on north side and incorporate it into their long term plans. It’s already too busy most of the time, with little to no parking. 

I was reading about "Density Bonusing" yesterday. Seems pretty interesting, and has had some solid monetary advantages for Vancouver, I haven't yet looked up anything more recent though to see how it's going now. 

https://council.vancouver.ca/20150624/documents/ptec4.pdf    Link in tweet.

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/613860770879700992/photo/1

• Like 1