Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Looks as if they are standing pat with VA, and Nashville right now with no further expansion in either of those two cities or anywhere else right now.

My opinion is that they realized they were getting a bit too much press at the moment. Their original plan was 50k over like 7 years. No need to take more heat in the press right now when you've got years to grow. 

3 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Some more jobs for Nashville? Even if it's not the 25,000. I hope at least another additional 1,000 to 5,000 jobs.

I think it's definitely possible. 5k isn't a set in stone number. If they really like Nashville who's to say they don't hire an additional 1k or 3k or 8k additional employees. Especially if they really hold off on a 2nd major HQ2 city. They might just spread the wealth around.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

I think it's definitely possible. 5k isn't a set in stone number. If they really like Nashville who's to say they don't hire an additional 1k or 3k or 8k additional employees. Especially if they really hold off on a 2nd major HQ2 city. They might just spread the wealth around.

My reading of the press release is that they will spread the jobs around, including Nashville.  I doubt they will boost the 25K in northern Virginia much.

This press release is about leaving Long Island City, not selecting another city.  No need to rub New York's nose in it.  Announcements about new jobs for other cities will come in future releases, after some negotiation about incentives.  It's very possible that they decide to put a bulk of the NY jobs in Nashville, if we are willing to add to the incentive dollars.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I know this is a lot of jobs but NYC was really paying an astronomical amount of money for each job. I think in the long run this probably works out better for them honestly.

$3 billion is a lot of money but it's also "only" $120,000 per job. Given that the workers would make more than that on average in a year, it's not a horrible investment. And with NY's draconian tax laws they would stand to make it back in income tax alone in under a decade. But hey, good for them!

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

$3 billion is a lot of money but it's also "only" $120,000 per job. Given that the workers would make more than that on average in a year, it's not a horrible investment. And with NY's draconian tax laws they would stand to make it back in income tax alone in under a decade. But hey, good for them!

Compared to what we are going to pay. It doesn't seem like that much of a deal to me.

From an earlier post of mine.

"I am constantly surprised by journalists, who don't use links throughout a piece to provide more information. I mean why in an article like this should I have to google that deal in Virginia. So here ya go (below). Really seems like NYC did a incredibly poor job of negotiating . 

$3billion for for 25,000/40,000 = $125,000/$75,000

$573 (+$223) million for 25,000 = $22,920 (#31,840)

$102 million for 5,000 jobs = $20,400"

Yeah...I think NYC overbid and Amazon accepted...and the citizens revolted.  Not Amazon’s or the citizens’ fault...but the fault of their politicians.  However, they possibly could have gone in and asked Amazon to give them a deal similar to DC and Nash...but instead, threw the baby out with the bath water.

• Thanks 1

As for Nashville...seems it would be super easy for Amazon to increase the height of their two towers already proposed...and then at least 3-4 more options at Nashville Yards to build tall towers to hold however more they would want there.  The only issue is how many we can take on without imploding.  If the 25k were a long-term (say 15-20 year) process...I think we could handle that many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

I see Stand Up Nashville is retweeting celebratory tweets that Amazon in NYC is dead. So their goal isn’t a better deal just to kill Amazon?

They put in some serious negotiating with Ingram/MLS to get concessions at the Fairgrounds. Hopefully they  aren't taking this as just a straight No to Amazon approach.

Though Amazon would have to actually acknowledge them. Which I wonder if they even would. Ingram seemed to care much more about the city and it's citizens.

1 minute ago, PaulChinetti said:

They put in some serious negotiating with Ingram/MLS to get concessions at the Fairgrounds. Hopefully they  aren't taking this as just a straight No to Amazon approach.

Though Amazon would have to actually acknowledge them. Which I wonder if they even would. Ingram seemed to care much more about the city and it's citizens.

I think Ingram cared legitimately but I also think the STAND UP Nashville people got positioned as the lead on negotiating the Community Benefits Agreement which for several key council members became a make-or-break issue for their vote, so that elevated their standing. 

• Like 3