Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the location of the other half of HQ2 will be..... probably Bellevue Washington the suburb edge city of Seattle.  Outside of the additional taxes in Seattle this over the lake suburb city will probably get the majority of jobs.  However I think the Northern VA and Nashville locations will go more than projected too.  I still think they should open up more offices across the country to tap into different labor pools.  Bellevue of course is pricey as Seattle and northern VA is not cheap either.  Only Nashville in affordable in these expansion cities.  

""Amazon’s next big outpost could come to a city that wasn’t even among the finalists for the nationwide HQ2 search last year.  Bellevue, Washington, the birthplace of the 24-year-old behemoth, has garnered the kind of interest from Amazon many cities crave. The Seattle-based company is expected to take at least 3.9 million square feet of space in the city east of Lake Washington. That projected real estate footprint in Bellevue is enough to rival Amazon’s planned HQ2 presence near Washington, D.C.  The total 3.9-million-square-foot estimate accounts only for existing square footage in Bellevue Corporate Plaza. Using the rough industry standard of 150 square feet per employee, Amazon’s forecasted presence in Bellevue if all these projects are realized would be 25,826 employees.""

from a subscriber article in the Triangle Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/02/22/hq-too-amazon-has-been-quietly-building-out-room.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2019-02-22&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1550944024&j=86843101

An article I read the other day insinuated that instead of Bellevue being "in addition to" Seattle...it was likely that many of Seattle's Amazon positions were being transitioned over to Bellevue (because of a better tax situation and more "acceptance" from the local government.)  Not sure if that's correct...but that was the way the article I read the other day made it sound.  If I can remember what article I read...I'll be sure to share it.

• Like 1

Now some and I would say a minority of people are trying to stir up anti Amazon feelings in northern VA.  Having lived in this area and despite some wacky state politics this movement will not get the NYC result.  Not in Arlington County VA

http://gothamist.com/2019/02/22/virginia_amazon_new_york_organizers.php

I do believe Amazon brought some of this on themselves with their nationwide circus for their 50,000 job HQ2 and I think most companies will continue to work behind the scenes and not have this kind of nationwide beauty contest again.    I saw a full page ad in the Wall St Journal about a greenfield site in Florida between Tampa and Orlando.  Someone bought a full page ad crazy! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

From NBJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/28/how-the-delay-in-alliancebernsteins-metro.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

AllianceBernstein's incentive package won't just gauge Metro Council's appetite for using taxpayer dollars to recruit companies: It also has the potential to restructure how the city finances those deals.

At-large Councilman John Cooper is pushing an amendment that would finance the deal using money from the Convention Center Authority, not the city's general funds. If approved, Cooper hopes the change will serve as a precedent for future incentive deals, including Metro's proposed $17.5 million deal for Amazon. (To view his amendment, click here.)

Cooper's argument is that AllianceBernstein's permanent office, located inside the massive Fifth + Broadway development, falls within the city's tourism development zone, which diverts sales-tax revenue within a large swath of the urban core from the city's general fund to support the convention center. Nashville Yards, Amazon's future home, also falls within the district.

"If you have an overage on your checking account — which the city does, since we’re doing one-time property sales to fix our budget — then you should in effect be using your savings account or at least another account," Cooper told the Nashville Business Journal. "We really need to protect the general fund because ultimately that’s what is paying for universal services. The uptick in revenue driven by these projects goes to the [convention center], not the general fund. Having Music City Center finance projects that would increase their own revenue would seem appropriate."

Cooper's amendment is what prompted Metro Council to delay its vote on AllianceBernstein's incentive package earlier this month; however, his amendment is far from finalized, with city attorneys still debating its legality. Furthermore, the funding swap has a prominent opponent: Mayor David Briley.

"AB's economic incentive package should be adopted without this amendment," Thomas Mulgrew, the mayor's spokesman, said in a statement to the NBJ. "However, Mayor Briley has been engaged in conversations with the Convention Center Authority regarding the use of revenue generated in the tourism development zone in future budgets."

If approved, AllianceBernstein's package would give the money manager $500 per job for seven years, which is the city's standard jobs package. It could be worth as much as $3.7 million over seven years. State officials are also kicking in incentives for AllianceBernstein; however, the total value of those incentives is unknown.

The incentive deal — which you can read here — comes 10 months after AllianceBernstein announced plans to move its headquarters to Nashville, bringing with it 1,050 jobs and the company's C-suite. Fully staffed, the company would rank among downtown's five largest private employers.

This is the first Metro jobs grant that the council will vote on after passing legislation that requires companies to disclose more information about the jobs they're creating. The vote also comes after months of public pushback to how state and local officials use taxpayer dollars to incentivize companies, particularly in the wake of Amazon's decision to bring 5,000 jobs to Nashville.

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

No, Bret was at the meet Saturday and helped explain a lot of this. The ammendment Cooper is proposing is probably not legal according to Metro legal.

Thanks. was it determined when the council will vote on Amazon, A&B?

Edited by nashvylle

17 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

let's see if this resolution is passed tonight. If it does, it has serious implications for Amazon, A&B, EY, etc.

image.png.1f807ad2250d9aa158a44abb38516d4a.png

I think this is non-binding, so pointless. Our council is trying a lot of brain dead stuff. There is another bill that is trying to ban the city giving incentives if the state does. I mean talk about killing our ability to not only compete with other U.S. cities, but compete within our own state. 

• Like 2