Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Chart that Nashville Business Journal put together showing how the job scales/salaries will be split on the Amazon expansion in Nashville.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/12/amazons-nashvillejobs-and-wages-in-one-pie-chart.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 3.17.17 PM.png

Key paragraph:

The chart's pie pieces show how Amazon's Nashville jobs break down by position. The wages shown in the chart, meanwhile, are the current median wages for such professions in Davidson County, according to government data. Amazon says 90 percent to 95 percent of the workers in each pie slice will earn more than that respective dollar amount.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Amazon wants to help Nashville build its tech-talent pipeline. To do so, the e-commerce giant is going back to the beginning: kindergarten.

The Seattle-based heavyweight is in talks with Metro Nashville Public Schools to bring its "Amazon Future Engineer" program to the city's school system this fall, according to Holly Sullivan, one of the executives spearheading Amazon's Nashville expansion. Sullivan's remarks came during the Nashville Rotary Club's weekly luncheon Monday.

The program — which Amazon launched last year in Seattle — is a "comprehensive childhood-to-career program to inspire, educate and train children and young adults from underserved and low-income communities to pursue careers in computer science," according to the company's website.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/06/11/amazon-in-talks-to-launch-tech-program-in-metro.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Of course, your kindergartner will need to be chipped and receive an Amazon smiley-face tattoo on the back of their necks. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Is it just me or are they implying that the Hyatt is actually the new Amazon buildings?

No. They're just showing Nashville Yards where Amazon will be located. They have to show something. What else are they going to show? An empty hole? The Grand Hyatt is the only building in Nashville Yards that anyone can currently see.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Ingram said:

No. They're just showing Nashville Yards where Amazon will be located. They have to show something. What else are they going to show? An empty hole? The Grand Hyatt is the only building in Nashville Yards that anyone can currently see.

I disagree and don't know how you could argue they aren't. First, they show a sign that mentions jobs, multiple shots of a building under construction, and then a final rendering. Then they have a woman say this is going to be my home, as she points into the direction of the hotel, and they show a flyover of the building. I believe their intention is to sway the viewer into thinking it is their building, and push the message that they are closer than actuality. I think more people would apply for positions, express excitement,  and show interest if they thought the offices were already under construction.

The first thing I took away from the video was that the building was for their offices, and I even knew it wasn't. So I would think people unfamiliar would think the same as well.  A friend of mine even mentioned to me that he thought it was their office until I showed him proof it was the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Amazon will host its first-ever career day Sept. 17 in Nashville, Arlington, VA, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, and Seattle, with 30,000 full and part-time jobs to fill.  The Nashville event will be held at Cannery Ballroom, located at 1 Cannery Row.

https://amazoncareerdaynashville.splashthat.com/

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/09/amazon-to-host-nashville-career-day-event.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4