Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

12 hours ago, CenterHill said:

An interesting read.     Florida takes a pretty cynical view of Amazon's motivations for the whole process.

The Hypocrisy of Amazon’s HQ2 Process

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/05/the-hypocrisy-of-amazons-hq2-process/560072/?utm_source=twb

A few notable quotes: 

"But one factor is even more interesting. Our analysis found that shortlisted cities had more U.S. senators with considerable seniority. While this could simply be a coincidence, it is curious especially for a company that is frequently said to be a target of anti-trust inquiries and is currently the object of Trump’s ire."

"What’s going on is something that is actually bigger than just a search for a second headquarters; it’s about the company’s continued expansion across North America. Amazon is siting distribution facilities at a feverish pace...     The HQ2 process provides a way of crowd-sourcing information on sites, giving Amazon one of the largest and most comprehensive databases of urban-development data on the continent. If each of the submitting 238 cities handed over information on five to 10 sites, that gives Amazon a database of between 1,000 and 2,000 sites, as well as detailed information on specific types of talent, university and training programs, and of course, a bottom line of tax and financial incentives that the company can use as a bargaining chip for future projects."

"The mayors and civic leaders of America’s most liberal and economically dynamic cities have played right into the company’s hands, rushing to subsidize one of the world’s largest corporations and its richest man rather than building up their own local economic capacities and investing in pressing social needs. While Trump and his cronies in Congress seem to be in a competition to advance the most backward-looking policies, these liberal cities, with Amazon holding the reins, are engaging in their own race to the bottom. Seeing all the advantages Amazon has gleaned from this reality-TV-style locational rat race, other companies may very well follow suit."

He does raise some good points in the article though, as far as the selection criteria. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

^^ all the ‘consciousness’ in the world will not make that turkey of an idea fly.  The complaint is illogical... 

That's the thing, do they not realize that they are faulting Amazon for effectively doing the same thing unions love to do? I mean, this could set a legal precedent that will bite them square in the rear if it goes through. 

• Like 3

This head tax did pass 5-4 but the Seattle mayor is indicating he will veto it.   It would effect about many more employers than just Amazon (they are just the biggest) and those include Starbucks, Facebook, Expedia etc   What I think this does for their search is to examine local politics of issues like this and do they the local govts have the right to do things like this vote.  In NC they would not be allowed to tax like that and most states they are looking at as well the local city could not do this.  I think this further Atlanta's or Northern Virginia case and lessens Maryland, NJ NY etc case.  Maryland has a county income tax already so I am not sure why Maryland is even on their short list other to extract more incentives out of Virginia.    

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2018/05/11/seattle-city-council-oks-75m-head-tax-mayors-veto.html

• Like 3

Wow! I didn't think even they were crazy enough to pass it!  "Scaled down" is the toe in the door. I would run like hell from Seattle and not look back... of course, there's Bellevue, Federal Way, Kent, Kirkland, Renton, Redmond.. and many other options close by. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, markhollin said:

NBJ asked 16 of the top architects in Nashville, "If you could design Amazon's HQ2 for Nashville, what top three features would you include?"  their answers in a slide show here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/18/heres-what-nashville-architects-would-include-if.html

I find it interesting how vague so many of those responses are. None really mention the possibility of being innovative with materials, or form. Liked how one of them mentioned including affordable housing in it though.

I found this video interesting  on how Seattle's Building Codes may be one of the reason for the housing prices to skyrocket.   I know we gripe on this site about building height but i'm not sure how strict Nashville metro building codes  are since constructions site don't have to put up covered sidewalks!  This is an interesting perspective.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Getting closer to an announcement...

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 11.16.28 AM.png

I   have no guess as to where this goes from here. Maybe another short list, but they probably have seen the best that the candidates have to offer and wouldn't expect anymore concessions.

They might divvy up the prize between several cities (giving Nashville a better chance for something) or they just announce the HQ2 goes to.......

....Atlanta!

I'm not thinking Nashville is in the top five, but it's not in the last five (of the twenty) either. I would be happy with a consolation prize like a division HQ.

• Like 4

On 5/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, PHofKS said:

I   have no guess as to where this goes from here. Maybe another short list, but they probably have seen the best that the candidates have to offer and wouldn't expect anymore concessions.

They might divvy up the prize between several cities (giving Nashville a better chance for something) or they just announce the HQ2 goes to.......

....Atlanta!

I'm not thinking Nashville is in the top five, but it's not in the last five (of the twenty) either. I would be happy with a consolation prize like a division HQ.

My understanding is that there is no other short list. Next is just an announcement of where they are going. I've seen speculation of a Fall announcement.

Edited by DDIG
typo
  • Like 1

I wonder if the Seattle "head tax" that just passed could spook them in regards to placing all of HQ2 in one city.  The new tax shows that they are really at the mercy of the local government and it may not be the best move to put so many jobs in one location.  It's not that the head tax would bankrupt them, but it does highlight the fact that a single new law or regulation passed by one city council could adversely affect them.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I wonder if the Seattle "head tax" that just passed could spook them in regards to placing all of HQ2 in one city.  The new tax shows that they are really at the mercy of the local government and it may not be the best move to put so many jobs in one location.  It's not that the head tax would bankrupt them, but it does highlight the fact that a single new law or regulation passed by one city council could adversely affect them.  

Well part of the reasoning behind HQ2 was to not have all their heads in one place, so they are sort of already on that concept. If anything I'm now looking closer at states like Tennessee and Georgia that have a more anti-tax climate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...