Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

3 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I've lived in the South for almost 20 years and I still don't like sweet tea. :)

I’m a native Southerner whose family has been in the South since the 17th century and to be honest I think most Southerners make their tea way too damn sweet. We obviously drank a lot of sweet tea growing up but ours had probably half if not less of the sugar that most people put in theirs. And then of course the ubiquitous diabetics and obese in every Southerner’s family blames genetics for their condition, instead of the fact that they drink a gallon plus of teeth-clenchingly sweet tea and Mountain Dew per day. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I’m a native Southerner whose family has been in the South since the 17th century and to be honest I think most Southerners make their tea way too damn sweet. We obviously drank a lot of sweet tea growing up but ours had probably half if not less of the sugar that most people put in theirs. And then of course the ubiquitous diabetics and obese in every Southerner’s family blames genetics for their condition, instead of the fact that they drink a gallon plus of teeth-clenchingly sweet tea and Mountain Dew per day. 

My pet peeve. "It's genetics" Actually it's cuz you stuff your face and never do sh!+?.

As brief as it was, I probably should not put a rant right after another rant.

Edited by Philip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

Ha I like this. You are right, most of these cities on their list that have sunk billions into their public transportation still have worse traffic than Nashville. This may be a crazy thought, but I actually wondered if Amazon might be somewhat intrigued by our transit plan dying as it gives them a chance to shape what the future could be. Who knows, Amazon PRIME Transit?

I've made this argument before as well. What if one thing Amazon is looking for is a city that needs a bit of "help" with, for example, developing a transit plan. Amazon could be using a city as a canvas to show the world what it can do, not just with shippings packages, but with their new healthcare plan, changes to grocery shopping, and privately funded, low-cost transit ideas. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DDIG said:

Ha I like this. You are right, most of these cities on their list that have sunk billions into their public transportation still have worse traffic than Nashville. 

Surprised the anti-transit group didn't run with an idea like this.. They could have just said that other cities show that public transportation actually makes traffic worse haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philip said:

My pet peeve. "It's genetics" Actually it's cuz you stuff your face and never do sh!+?.

As brief as it was, I probably should not put a rant right after another rant.

I talked with someone who said dieting doesn’t work with them because of their blood type. Like what the hell haha

4 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Glad I've found some fellow Southerners who don't like sweet tea either. 

I’m not going that far as to say I don’t like it, I just don’t like it as sweet. Like half the amount of sugar as normal. I can still drink the super sweet stuff, I just won’t typically order it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Surprised the anti-transit group didn't run with an idea like this.. They could have just said that other cities show that public transportation actually makes traffic worse haha

The easy answer is they didn't come close to needing more messaging!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I've made this argument before as well. What if one thing Amazon is looking for is a city that needs a bit of "help" with, for example, developing a transit plan. Amazon could be using a city as a canvas to show the world what it can do, not just with shippings packages, but with their new healthcare plan, changes to grocery shopping, and privately funded, low-cost transit ideas. 

Seems completely plausible. Light rail has all the markings of becoming a dinosaur. And I could see Amazon bringing out-of-box alternatives.

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Seems completely plausible. Light rail has all the markings of becoming a dinosaur. And I could see Amazon bringing out-of-box alternatives.

I wasn't for Nashville building 27 miles of light rail, but I also don't buy the argument that light rail will be obsolete... it is expensive, but the most efficient way of transporting so many people together. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I wasn't for Nashville building 27 miles of light rail, but I also don't buy the argument that light rail will be obsolete... it is expensive, but the most efficient way of transporting so many people together. 

I think it's interesting that even hidebound rail proponents acknowledge that it has little if any effect on congestion, and then typically retreat to "But look how it stimulates development along the rail line."

41 minutes ago, Dale said:

I think it's interesting that even hidebound rail proponents acknowledge that it has little if any effect on congestion, and then typically retreat to "But look how it stimulates development along the rail line."

Literally half the posts on this board about this topic are talking about the fact that current congestion will remain. 

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 2