Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yes the 32 or so story office tower in Nashville Yards, not to mention the other two office buildings planned there.

Owing to geography, wouldn’t the 32 story tower appear as the dominant structure on the skyline, I mean, with the possible exception of paramount ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yes the 32 or so story office tower in Nashville Yards, not to mention the other two office buildings planned there.

It is nice to speculate, but we must wait for Nashville Yards to make an announcement. It would be nice if they replaced those ~10 story buildings with some taller ones. They could easily go with three 20 story buildings - and that would look nice too

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

It is nice to speculate, but we must wait for Nashville Yards to make an announcement. It would be nice if they replaced those ~10 story buildings with some taller ones. They could easily go with three 20 story buildings - and that would look nice too

Putting 5,000 people in one building seems crazy. There would not be enough elevators to move people at closing time. 

6 minutes ago, Nashcago said:

5,000 people in one building isn't that crazy at all. I work in downtown Chicago and there are buildings here that have close to 30,000 people come and go each day. That's obviously a much larger scale than what we can expect to see at Nashville Yards, but putting all Amazon into one building is definitely feasible. We'd probably all agree that it will likely be spread across a few buildings, but it will be exciting to see how this develops, not to mention the residential high-rises to follow!

Good point. Keep in mind, though, that in Nashville almost all of those 5,000 will be bringing their car every day, which factors into building size/infrastructure costs. Even if a fifth of them commute in a way other than a car, there will be enough commuting cleaning/security contractors and retail workers to make up for the reduction in cars. 

• Like 1

How many people do we think work downtown now? Is a 5,000 person increase pretty substantial? I know this is a huge announcement, but I wasn't sure how this compares to say Bridgestone's office. Do they have around 1,000 there? I bet this is going to cause a huge impact in the Supply Chain industry around town. Within an hour of the announcement I heard people talking about it here. So I wouldn't be surprised if some large companies  will start looking into employee retention in preparation of some poaching being done

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

How many people do we think work downtown now? Is a 5,000 person increase pretty substantial? I know this is a huge announcement, but I wasn't sure how this compares to say Bridgestone's office. Do they have around 1,000 there? I bet this is going to cause a huge impact in the Supply Chain industry around town. Within an hour of the announcement I heard people talking about it here. So I wouldn't be surprised if some large companies  will start looking into employee retention in preparation of some poaching being done

Proportionately speaking, this is like downtown Chicago adding 50,000 jobs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Haha!  I opened this thread on the last page...read a few lines...and was all confused, thinking this was some kind of joke.  So...I flipped back a page...and realized it only went back an hour or so.  So...I flipped back another...and again...about an hour.  I'm thinking, "WHAT is going on?!!!"  Took me like 3-4 pages back to find out you guys weren't crazy and just playing some huge joke on me! :rofl:

AWESOME news!  I'd say Nashville is even a bigger winner than DC and NYC!

Surprise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1