Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

2 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

People will always be scared of change, it's as old as time, especially in the USA. I just hope as I age, that I will be as open as I am now and not become a repeat of the past. 

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/q7gcyp/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-it-was-the-best-of-times--it-was-the-best-of-times

Perhaps, in your youthful naïveté , you fail to see the worth of certain traditions and customs and assume the changes in question are better or more worthy without challenge. Of course, with most things the answers often lie in the middle. Change is inevitable....some good some bad..., but an unchecked pace of change can lead to unforeseen negative consequences.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, urbanplanet17 said:

What I'm curious to know is how Nashville's existing corporate base (Bridgestone, Nissan, Dollar General, HCA, etc.) feels about these latest developments.

As far as Bridgestone specifically, I almost landed a job there when they were consolidating their HQ and I know for a fact they don't pay all that well (the amount I wanted was a good bit above their maximum range).

So I imagine they're all worried about talent poaching.

Interesting  to hear this. I have known probably 4-5 people in my industry that have gone to Bridgestone because of their higher paying jobs, bonus,  and other benefits package. Maybe it depends on the industry

14 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Interesting  to hear this. I have known probably 4-5 people in my industry that have gone to Bridgestone because of their higher paying jobs, bonus,  and other benefits package. Maybe it depends on the industry

I don’t get the impression that Amazon is into poaching. I think they’re into cannibalizing.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There are a lot of neighborhoods that are close enough to walk, bike or bus to this location. If you are making 150k, then you can afford any of them. There are probably 6000 or so nits under construction or planned within about a mile of Nashville Yards and I see a lot of them starting sooner now rather than later and some of the stalled projects will have new life like the Buckingham 37 story condo building. We can only hope.

With an aggressive approach from the city in installing safe bicycling routes, there are 10,000's thousands of good, existing (affordable?) housing stock available within a few miles. An easy bike ride or good afternoon run. I'm sure regular bus routes will be emphasized, also.

30955193297_f2d9b153f6_c.jpg

I got the mileages from google maps which is based on the shortest road routes, and not 'as the crow flies'.

BTW; I think the proposed light rail system would only have helped Cleveland Park and maybe a little of East Nashville.

As some brilliant poster said a few months ago,"....they would be a short uber or bike ride away from home for 10,000's of their employees. That's better for the employees and the planet than shipping them to some distant 'burb by train".

Edited by PHofKS
Two lines at bottom.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems to me that fine-tuning existing bus routes could pay significant dividends.

2 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Neighborhoods in communities along the Music City Star route should also prove attractive to these newcomers.

I predict you’ll see significant upgrades to Music City Star before Nashville gets another rail line.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bigeasy said:

Maybe.

FWIW, I was coming from Detroit's automotive ecosystem (the Big 3 historically pay very generously). 

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

@urbanplanet17 I think Nashville wages are about to get a huge bump, with some serious poaching going on. I talked with a recruiter for AB recently and the salaries they are offering are gigantic compared to similar positions in Nashville. It will be interesting how current companies handle the situation, are they just going to eat the brain drain or are they going to step up to the plate and try to keep their best people. 

Most companies (especially big ones) are not strategically nimble enough to anticipate changes coming from "out of left field" and react to them swiftly.  They are so pre-occupied with their day-to-day business, they have existing power structures, they will not be able to react.  Management is disinclined to react because raising someone's wages hints at the idea the employee was previously under-paid.... and that would be a blow to management ego.  HR is disinclined to react because they are tasked with paying the "industry average" wage for every position, and historical data does not have the Amazon Effect built in yet, so they have no data to work from.  In summary, Amazon and any other new arrivals are free to poach whoever they want, and it will take years for existing industry to even admit they have a problem.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

What I'm curious to know is how Nashville's existing corporate base (Bridgestone, Nissan, Dollar General, HCA, etc.) feels about these latest developments.

I like to think of it as poetic justice, or karma, or whatever you want to call it.  Those companies have probably all benefited from some kind of corporate welfare (I know B-stone and Nissan have), now they have to pay corporate taxes to subsidize Amazon while Amazon steals their best employees with higher wages subsidized by the very taxes they are paying.  Lesson?  There is always a bigger fish.

• Like 4

That's right! The incentives use the same formula for all companies planning to ADD jobs. Now, there are one-offs with infrastructure improvements, but the thinking (at least stated as such) is that they are a benefit to all. Tennessee does have one of the fairest incentives programs in the nation.  

Some back-of-napkin math puts this at $120M in incentives of all stripes in return for $1B in additional taxes, both state and local at full build-out. As an ordinary Joe, I'm getting that from the published articles on this deal. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Buildtall said:

I’m wondering if we will see amazons name over the new soccer stadium.

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

That would be interesting. Their yellow-ish and NSC's gold is close.

Amazon Field, Prime Field, 2 Day Park (haha)

Is it too late to change the team name to Nashville Amazonians? ;) 

13 hours ago, Armacing said:

I agree.  Think of Nashville as the mid-point of all mid-points:  Memphis (FedEx), Louisville (UPS), Atlanta (UPS).  Nashville is in the middle of all these logistics centers, and if Amazon wants to figure out a way of cutting those parcel carriers out of the profit pipeline, they need to handle their own logistics.  I think that will become the long-term vision for Amazon's distribution strategy, and it looks like the execution part of that strategy will hinge on the efforts of folks based in Nashville.  Very exciting!

+Cincinatti (DHL), Indianapolis (Fedex), Huntsville (Cargolux among others). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

People will always be scared of change, it's as old as time, especially in the USA. I just hope as I age, that I will be as open as I am now and not become a repeat of the past. 

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/q7gcyp/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-it-was-the-best-of-times--it-was-the-best-of-times

“Change” is not necessarily good or bad, nor is opposition always based on fear, which is a pretty consistent thing I hear that has very little grounding in reality based on what I perceive amongst my conservative friends. Those who had “Science > Religion” and “Proud Progressive” bumper stickers in the 19th century spent their time measuring skull sizes to prove racial hierarchies and forcibly sending aboriginal children to schools after taking them from their families and ancestral villages to teach them how to behave “civilized.” I don’t say this to blast progressives because I think they’ve done some wonderful things for our society, my point is that changing things based upon a consensus that it is a positive for the common good is a good and noble decision, but supporting change for change’s sake is ridiculous. As is haranguing people for wanting to preserve their communities and culture. 

“Tradition is the democracy of the dead.  It means giving the vote to the most obscure of all classes: our ancestors.” -GK Chesterton. 

• Confused 1