Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

The points above recall Mayor Briley's budget item for infrastructure for the development across the river (River North?) and a rumor that it was going to be Amazon and Morgan Stanley posted at one of the boards. Amazon came true, but not at that site. Could Nashville see another spate of relocations? 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

What will be the roll out in terms of the 5k jobs? Will it be done over several years? Will they find temporary space while waiting on office tower? Any idea what % of the hires will be moving from elsewhere vs new hires who already live in town?

Didn't want @wreynol4's questions to get lost in all the excitement.  Has any news outlet talked about these issues yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr_Bond said:

Didn't want @wreynol4's questions to get lost in all the excitement.  Has any news outlet talked about these issues yet?

Tax incentives were structured with the condition that all 5000 jobs are here within 7 years. From what I've read Amazon to begin hiring in early 2019 at all HQ2 locations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, thenorthchannel said:

Tax incentives were structured with the condition that all 5000 jobs are here within 7 years. From what I've read Amazon to begin hiring in early 2019 at all HQ2 locations.

Is there any word as to how many are transferring here from Seattle?

11 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Nashville is like a wealthy Southern belle who is polite, friendly, is as comfortable at a débutante ball as at a football game, and knows how to throw a good party where everyone feels welcomed.

Who wouldn't want to marry a lady like that?!  I did, though the term 'wealthy' may or may not have applied.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

And with the breakneck speed at which many neighborhoods are gentrifying, Nashville's "bad" areas are becoming even rarer.  Very few visitors leave Nashville unimpressed.

I don't really consider being gentrified as a positive. What's happening to the people that were living there before? They're being priced out of the city that they belong to. I just don't like the non synergistic aspect of gentrification. Are new and remodeled houses/ condos pretty? Sure, but why not help incorporate all the citizens of this booming city? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, satalac said:

Are new and remodeled houses/ condos pretty? Sure, but why not help incorporate all the citizens of this booming city? 

Great point, Satalac.  And it's just part of a larger problem in Nashville (and America in general), where private property rights are only protected for those who are already wealthy.  Consider the plight of those living on fixed incomes who receive a new property value assessment in the mail.  These unfortunate folks are forced to pay ever-higher taxes to subsidize stadiums, convention centers, and corporate relocations that attract more people and drive prices up further - a vicious cycle whereby they finance the means of their own "economic eviction" from the neighborhood.

• Like 4

On 11/15/2018 at 8:43 AM, Armacing said:

I agree.  Think of Nashville as the mid-point of all mid-points:  Memphis (FedEx), Louisville (UPS), Atlanta (UPS).  Nashville is in the middle of all these logistics centers, and if Amazon wants to figure out a way of cutting those parcel carriers out of the profit pipeline, they need to handle their own logistics.  I think that will become the long-term vision for Amazon's distribution strategy, and it looks like the execution part of that strategy will hinge on the efforts of folks based in Nashville.  Very exciting!

Exactly.  Is this where Amazon starts their own Fedex/UPS.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

If I were looking solely at the where my 150 K will go the farthest and I had the choice of where I could go with Amazon, Nashville would be the pick. It was crazy how much farther it went than NYC and was a lot compared to Arlington too.

Yeah I was kind of surprised that the average salary for each location is $150k. Not only is Nashville getting a bigger impact per capita, but also way more salary per job based on cost of living.

Edited by DDIG
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

Most on fixed income will qualify for property tax relief of some sort.

https://www.nashville.gov/Trustee/Tax-Freeze-Program.aspx

There are a lot of people under the age of 65 who are on fixed or limited incomes for a variety of reasons.  Single mothers, for example.  But this is not a contest to see who can carry the flag for the most neglected demographic in Nashville.  My point was more about how property taxes affect the general affordability of life in the city.  But who knows, maybe that single mother landed a job selling funnel cakes at the new baseball stadium.

• Like 2