Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

No one should be exempted from property taxes. In my opinion, the answer is to defer the property tax liability via a lien against the appreciation of the property so that when it is sold the taxes must be paid.

This is from someone adamantly against taxes, but also against people being able to vote for property taxes while they themselves are exempted.

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

About 8 years ago, Hamilton County voters passed a referendum to freeze the property taxes on people over 65. I could NOT bring myself to vote for it for two reasons:

1. In our county (and in most) that age group is among the wealthiest demographic group, especially compared to young families who don't own their homes outright.

2. And of course, I don't like "blanket" carve-outs. I believe everyone should have skin in the game. And that age group of folks tend to be the most reliable voters. They are engaged and they usually think carefully about the issues they vote for. 

4 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

No one should be exempted from property taxes. In my opinion, the answer is to defer the property tax liability via a lien against the appreciation of the property so that when it is sold the taxes must be paid.

This is from someone adamantly against taxes, but also against people being able to vote for property taxes while they themselves are exempted.

I LOVE the thoughtof not paying property taxes after the age of 65. I will absolutely vote in favor of that. I plan to retire in Italy,  but keep my house here in the US so when I come to visit I won't have the expense of staying in a hotel. 

• Haha 1

I wish we could freeze property taxes at the rate at time of purchase. When a property sells, new owners pay whatever the new rate is based on current valuation. The city could actually rase rates more frequently without negatively impacting current homeowners and working class homeowners would never be priced out due to property taxes. My rates have soared in the last 12 years (as has the value of my property of course) but for a variety of reasons I make less money now than I did then and I've since added three children to the mix. I guess this would only work if the average property turnover rate were frequent enough, I have no idea what average length of ownership on residential properties in Nashville is.

1 minute ago, jmtunafish said:

Over at another forum where I'm a moderator (http://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums which I highly recommend you guys check out, particularly the Tennessee forums--I hope it's ok to mention that here) Nashville hasn't really been taken seriously when it comes to comparing it to places like Austin, Charlotte, Tampa, even legacy cities like St Louis and Cincinnati.  Things started to change after MLS chose Nashville, which caught many around the country totally by surprise, but really the Amazon announcement has caused many to start taking Nashville seriously.  Really, it's been fun these last few months to see the shift.  While posters from some cities, especially Atlanta and Austin, have been almost obnoxious with their bewilderment over Amazon choosing Nashville, posters from other cities have come to Nashville's defense, whereas not too long ago the only people defending Nashville were other Nashvillians.  

That’s odd, I get the impression that Nashville is the going It City, even moreso than Austin.

And I just learned that Nashville’s per capital GDP is outpacing Charlotte’s and Raleigh’s.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dale said:

That’s odd, I get the impression that Nashville is the going It City, even moreso than Austin.

And I just learned that Nashville’s per capital GDP is outpacing Charlotte’s and Raleigh’s.

I think people here at urbanplanet are probably a lot more savvy than the average city-data poster and, really, the average joe on the street.  If you were to randomly survey people throughout America about Nashville, most would say something like it's the center of country music, and maybe that it's the capital of Tennessee, but that's about it.  Even major news outlets have gushed over NYC and DC with this Amazon announcement with barely any mention of Nashville.  And even though Nashville has been an "It City" for a few years now, it's still not viewed by many (at least at city-data) as a hip city like Austin or Portland.  Most Americans (even at city-data) aren't development wonks like we are, so many (most?) were surprised when MLS picked Nashville, when British Airways came to town, and when Amazon picked Nashville over cities more well known for big business.

• Like 2

I think Nashville is a very unique city and should not be compared with anywhere else. I feel that Nashville being mentioned in the amazon Hq2 announcement alone will be a game changer, even if other regional operations centers are built in other places in the future. The fact that Nashville was feature as one of the three cities in the announcement (even though we didnt get 25,000 jobs), and it being the only city to get something with arguably the two most important United States cities, will do wonders for it in terms of corporate relocations and general PR for the city. 

And if amazon wants to expand their presence in healthcare they should look nowhere else but Nashville to do so haha.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jmtunafish said:

I think people here at urbanplanet are probably a lot more savvy than the average city-data poster and, really, the average joe on the street.  If you were to randomly survey people throughout America about Nashville, most would say something like it's the center of country music, and maybe that it's the capital of Tennessee, but that's about it.  Even major news outlets have gushed over NYC and DC with this Amazon announcement with barely any mention of Nashville.  And even though Nashville has been an "It City" for a few years now, it's still not viewed by many (at least at city-data) as a hip city like Austin or Portland.  Most Americans (even at city-data) aren't development wonks like we are, so many (most?) were surprised when MLS picked Nashville, when British Airways came to town, and when Amazon picked Nashville over cities more well known for big business.

Nothing short of visiting Nashville will change people’s minds. Portland ? Eh, you can have it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Portland is a nice city... if you can put up with the uniform year-round chill. But (hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings here) IMHO it has the homeliest women of all the major cities where I've been. I have never been to Buffalo or Omaha.

Maybe a Coffee House topic... most attractive people. 

My Top 3

1. Minneapolis

2. NYC

3. Dallas

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I think Portland is a nice city... if you can put up with the uniform year-round chill. But (hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings here) IMHO it has the homeliest women of all the major cities where I've been. I have never been to Buffalo or Omaha.

My Top 3

1. Minneapolis

2. NYC

3. Dallas

Montreal and Salt Lake/Provo definitely belong up there, from my experience.

59 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

My Top 3

1. Minneapolis

2. NYC

3. Dallas

It's the never-ending overcast skies that would kill me. That's part of the reason why I moved to the Sun Belt.

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

Old perceptions die hard.

For a long time, older people I knew in Detroit used to consider places like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas "country" (euphamism for intolerant, backwards, slower paced and underdeveloped), even despite their rapid growth. Today, all 3 cities are now bigger and more cosmopolitan than Detroit as a ton of people from Michigan are migrating to them.

Nashville has to prove itself with time, unfortunately. But if it continues to so everything it has done, that shouldn't be an issue. Even Seattle, until the past decade, it wasn't really on anyone's radar either.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

My Top 3

1. Minneapolis

2. NYC

3. Dallas

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Montreal and Salt Lake/Provo definitely belong up there, from my experience.

Oxford, Mississippi on gamedays :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, satalac said:

I still don't see us getting a MLB team anytime soon. We have several factors working again us. I don't think Nashville can support 4 pro teams, even with our growth. We also just built a really nice, and rather expensive minor league park that can't be used as a major league park. Talking this city into funding another stadium is going to be tough. Maybe putting one in a surrounding county could be doable, but that's not ideal, or a good idea imo. Had the Sounds not gotten a new stadium, it may have had a better chance

Agree. Nashville will have to build a new one for the Titans by 2029 too.

• Like 1

I read on here the consensus was they weren't coming.

Well I knew they were coming. I knew when they came to Nashville it was over.

The people in the Chamber of Commerce and Convention & Tourism Bureau are alphas. They don't bow down and think Nashville is inferior to any place.

If they were betas Nashville wouldn't be accomplishing anything.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram said:

I read on here the consensus was they weren't coming.

Well I knew they were coming. I knew when they came to Nashville it was over.

The people in the Chamber of Commerce and Convention & Tourism Bureau are alphas. They don't bow down and think Nashville is inferior to any place.

If they were  the beta type Nashville wouldn't be accomplishing anything.

5AtiveQ.gif.af13814b1cc49f02a73f16ae833cccf3.gif

• Haha 2