Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

10 hours ago, titanhog said:

Anyone else feel like we had been playing Triple A ball...and this week, we got called up to the Majors?  I really feel like the Amazon announcement (combined with all of the smaller, but still huge, announcements) just put us into a new league.  This site is going to get more busy...more action...and just that much more fun to visit every day (100 times a day)...and I have a feeling we're going to start seeing some surprising projects pop up that will make our collective heads spin.

Exciting times on the UP.

How is that Nashville was playing Triple A ball when Philips, Nissan, Bridgestone, Hankook, Nokian, AllianceBernstein relocated their headquarters to Nashville?

That's already Major League.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

5AtiveQ.gif.af13814b1cc49f02a73f16ae833cccf3.gif

If you have something to say, then say it. Why would you need to use an animated gif from some movie person to babble for you?

We're all presumably grown men here. At least I know I am. I can understand if you can have anything to say for your own self. Stand up for yourself and say it.

Edited by Ingram

7 hours ago, urbanplanet17 said:

On the subject of baseball, there was talk that the MLB was looking hard at both Nashville and Charlotte for new expansion teams.

I definitely think landing Amazon and AB will help Nashville's case.

If Nashville wanted a MLB team bad enough to build a stadium then MLB would give it an expansion team.

If they have to choose they would much rather be in Nashville than Charlotte since Nashville would raise MLB's public profile considerably more than Charlotte would.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram said:

If you have something to say, then say it. Why would you need to use an animated gif from some movie person to babble for you?

We're all presumably grown ups here. At least I know that I am. I can understand if you can have anything to say for your own self. Stand up for yourself and say it.

Sorry you took such offense to it. If you need me to provide you with some context clues, my usage of the gif invokes my sentiment toward you tooting your own horn. I've read enough of your posts in the past and it's normally along the lines of this "alpha versus beta" narrative. If I believed your comment was worth shelling out a paragraph explaining my opinion, I would have done so.

If you have better insight than the rest of us do, I encourage you to post more. I did not foreshadow Amazon coming to Nashville in the slightest, and clearly, I was wrong.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Sorry you took such offense to it. If you need me to provide you with some context clues, my usage of the gif invokes my sentiment toward you tooting your own horn. I've read enough of your posts in the past and it's normally along the lines of this "alpha versus beta" narrative. If I believed your comment was worth shelling out a paragraph explaining my opinion, I would have done so.

If you have better insight than the rest of us do, I encourage you to post more. I did not foreshadow Amazon coming to Nashville in the slightest, and clearly, I was wrong.

I don't care if you liked my post or not. I don't post here for yours or anyone else's friendship. I don't post for Likes or emoticon responses. I'm a grown man.

You see, I didn't even need to go hunt for some animated gif to say it for me.

Edited by Ingram

1 minute ago, Ingram said:

I don't care if you liked my post or not. I don't post here for yours or anyones friendship. I don't post for Likes or emoticon responses. I'm a grown man.

You see, I didn't even need to go hunt for some animated gif to say it for me.

That's cool, Ingram. I'm glad you're a grown-up. If you'd like to continue, take it to the coffeehouse or my PMs. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ingram said:

How is that Nashville was playing Triple A ball when Philips, Nissan, Bridgestone, Hankook, Nokian, AllianceBernstein relocated their headquarters to Nashville?

That's already Major League.

Are you just a contrarian?  It's called "a figure of speech"...which is why I mentioned "and several other announcements".   What I'm saying is that we have been really great...thinking we're "major league"...but then we get A/B...Ernst & Young...Amazon...and we're realizing we're going to yet another level.

Call it whatever you want...but if you can't see that this is another step up...then I think you're just looking for something to pick apart for no other reason than you are a contrarian.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Are you just a contrarian?  It's called "a figure of speech"...which is why I mentioned "and several other announcements".   What I'm saying is that we have been really great...thinking we're "major league"...but then we get A/B...Ernst & Young...Amazon...and we're realizing we're going to yet another level.

Call it whatever you want...but if you can't see that this is another step up...then I think you're just looking for something to pick apart for no other reason than you are a contrarian.

Your wrote the post not me. 

You said that Nashville went from AAA to Major League just because Amazon selected Nashville to put its Center of Excellence.

I on the other hand replied that Nashville was already Major League because of a slew of recent corporate headquarter relocations.

If you don't want anyone to analyze what you type then don't type it.

Edited by Ingram

Just now, Ingram said:

Your wrote the post not me. 

You said that Nashville went from AAA to Major League just because Amazon selected Nashville to put its Center of Excellence.

I on the other hand replied that Nashville was already Major League because of a slew of recent corporate headquarter relocations.

If you don't want anyone to analyze what you type then don't type it.

Once again...it's a figure of speech.  If you don't feel the recent announcements and forward momentum moves us to yet another level...then we just disagree.  Call it moving from AAA to the Majors...or moving from A to A+...or whatever.  In the end, it's forward movement...we're moving up the ladder...growing.  If you want to pick that apart...fine.  I still think you're being a contrarian.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I wonder with the Avon Williams Campus right next door to the new Amazon Campus, if we will see a new logistics/supply chain school open up there. Its a perfect location for TSU to capitalize on a partnership for sure.

Or do you think they will eventually just sell those parking lots in between the TSU building and the downtown Y to Amazon or someone else?

I wouldn't expect TSU to sell their dt campus. If anything, they'll expand it to accommodate programs to prepare the workforce for local employers. 

Also, here's something about the selection of Nashville by AMZN. According to this piece, Nashville was chosen over other better suited cities like Charlotte, Reno, or Louisville because, "well, it's cooler."  I'm just watching this whole thing with fascination, but this article seems to contradict itself with so-called "better choices" for the logistics hub because it makes the point that Memphis is perhaps the best overall. I think some on this board made the better point... AMZN doesn't want to utilize the Fedex, UPS, et.al. infrastructure. They want to compete... and prevail against it. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/nashville-operations-center-of-excellence-white-collar-employees-2018-11

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

I wouldn't expect TSU to sell their dt campus. If anything, they'll expand it to accommodate programs to prepare the workforce for local employers. 

Also, here's something about the selection of Nashville by AMZN. According to this piece, Nashville was chosen over other better suited cities like Charlotte, Reno, or Louisville because, "well, it's cooler."  I'm just watching this whole thing with fascination, but this article seems to contradict itself with so-called "better choices" for the logistics hub because it makes the point that Memphis is perhaps the best overall. I think some on this board made the better point... AMZN doesn't want to utilize the Fedex, UPS, et.al. infrastructure. They want to compete... and prevail against it. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/nashville-operations-center-of-excellence-white-collar-employees-2018-11

As I surmised, it was all about the feels.

• Thanks 1