Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

2 hours ago, FluffyP13 said:

If the city is not already secretly doing that and if the owners of the river north land don't go for it, then both sides are dumb as a bag of rocks. seems like such a no brainer. 

That's the truth!  Surely the River North guys are falling all over themselves to try and make this happen.  Instead of a 25 year build-out...they could  make bank in one fell swoop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

That's the truth!  Surely the River North guys are falling all over themselves to try and make this happen.  Instead of a 25 year build-out...they could  make bank in one fell swoop.

I can't imagine they aren't. What developer wouldn't jump at a project of this size being almost completely filled with tenants before ground even breaks?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

This development would be better in Atlanta. 

I would be OK with Atlanta. :ph34r:

If Detroit doesn't get it, I'm definitely rooting for either Atlanta or Nashville.. :P

BTW, one thing to consider is if this thing goes to Atlanta, even more people would flock to Nashville to get away from their traffic that will undoubtedly come to a grinding halt and their skyrocketing cost of living (see Seattle ----> Portland). It could still be a win.

Edited by smeagolsfree
Implied foul language
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, kc8501 said:

Just a thought on why I think Atlanta has an edge over us: It's on eastern time.  While it doesn't seem like a big thing, on my current contract we do a lot of work with east coast peoples, as well as European, and that hour makes a lot of difference.  

That's true.

It also benefits from being the HQ of Delta Airlines and MARTA. Back in the 1970s, when the Feds were handing out transit funds like candy, they basically handed it over to Atlanta with no strings attached when Seattle turned down the money. 

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

I've met a lot of people recently who have relocated to Nashville from Atlanta. Many have stated the job market is better in Nashville than Atlanta right nowbecause Atlanta is saturated. They've also made statements about wanting to start familie, but they are afraid because of the staggering HIV rate in Atlanta, in addition to traffic headaches,  and crime.

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I've met a lot of people recently who have relocated to Nashville from Atlanta. Many have stated the job market is better in Nashville than Atlanta right night because Atlanta is over saturated. They've also made statements about wanting to start familie, but they are afraid because of the staggering HIV rate in Atlanta, in addition to traffic headaches,  and crime.

Afraid of HIV in Atlanta? They know it's actually pretty easy to not get it right? Right??

• Like 3

In an attempt to steer back toward the topic at hand:

Unlikely as it is, if Amazon somehow did overlook a city because of its HIV rates, then it's a safe bet that no Southern state would make the cut because we tend to lead the nation in obesity, child mortality, illiteracy and other significant health and education problems that could put strain on a company's health insurance program.

But on a realistic note, I am curious to know if unemployment rates in individual cities or regions might factor into Amazon's decision. That's a number that seems more relevant.

• Like 3