Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

50 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

But really! I don't know a lot about construction and development (et.al.) but at what point is building two buildings more economical than one taller tower?  Seems like you're spending double the money on foundation, design, engineering, etc., compared to going twice (or even more) as tall with one? You also have the added benefit of not utilizing a potential building site for a compatible company's space needs.  Question: Is there a person/group in Metro government that actually discourages taller buildings? I know that MDHA (in its apparent corruption) has done that. But this is not an MDHA development. 

I understand once you get over something around 400 feet, a new set of regulations kicks in the project cost more per floor. I know someone here knows what I'm referring to (and the details), but I'm with you.

• Like 1

No joke, I actually thought that rendering was a funny photoshop from one of you guys at first HAHAHA

We probably should have seen this coming though. Amazon has never built huge and sexy structures, even in Seattle. It's still super exciting and will be one of the most handsome towers in the city. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

It's on the edge of downtown, it's still a solid hunk of density, and it carries the flag of one of the most influential companies in the world. Sure, I'm a little disappointed in the size, but the next tallest would look kinda awkward in that location anyway.

It's still a historic development for Nashville and I'm 100% onboard with whatever they decide.

My thoughts exactly. 

I'm to the point where I want my hometown to become a very urban, thriving, and dense core that is the envy of many, which it is steadily starting to gain that level as more developments come online. 

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 4

As far as cost, it is still cheaper to build to 20 story towers than one 40 something tower and logistically easier to move people around in those two towers. That is another reason we are not getting the big boys here. The cost of land has still not gone to the level of necessity to mandate the taller towers. Developers can still find land on the outskirts of downtown where they can build a building with a larger footprint at 20 stories. Insurance rates, construction cost, engineering cost are all still cheaper for smaller buildings. 

The land cost have risen but are no where near what they would need to be to warrant the taller buildings. Now if SWVP had paid 125 million for the Amazon site alone then yes we would have had a tall boy. I am not sure where the land cost would have to be in order to get the floor count higher. I am sure there is a ratio on ROI to money spent on land vs amount per sq. ft. but I have not clue as to what those numbers would be. I would bet they would have to be spending 500 to 1000 per SQ.  FT. So to get in the higher range a buyer would have to spend in the neighbor hood of 40 million per acre. We have not hit that number here yet. Not even Tony's lot on Church comes anywhere near that. I am unsure what the record is for an acre in Nashville or per SQ. FT. is but someone may be able to enlighten us. I think the record is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 per SQ. FT. but here may have been an 800 per SQ. FT., but those were very small properties. I think the lot where the Embassy Suites went for like 20 million and nothing has been built there yet. That was a little over an acre. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

to add to @smeagolsfree and @Bos2Nash ....

With Nashville Yards, 5th & Broad, The Gulch, Capitol View, etc... Nashville is becoming more and more a walkable city (at least in downtown). Skinny tall condos will follow. 

Most cities (Dallas, Houston, Atlanta) do the opposite. They have very tall pretty towers, but surrounded by huge surface lots. Now they are playing catch up and trying to make their downtown more walkable. 

Nashville will get both, but I would trade Ten, 10 story buildings for Amazon then what Nashville Yards was before SW Partners bought it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think that residential developers like Tony G and others should make the pitch that with more larger corporate relocations like Amazon downtown, along with urban developments like Nashville yards and fifth and broadway, more and more people will want to live and work downtown and therefore larger and taller residential buildings will eventually need to be built. I personally don’t think Nashville will get a another new tallest announced or proposed besides the paramount until developments like fifth and broadway, nashville yards, and river north hopefully get built out, because only after there will be demand to live downtown as well as work.