Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

18 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

I don't get it.  All this hullabaloo is about math?  "Amazon didn't give us enough information to confirm their salary calculations so the deal is OFF!"  Amazon is bringing us an amazing deal, whether the average (not median) salary is $150,000 or something slightly under it.  Take the deal, Nashville!

Not speaking for anyone else on here, but as one of those complaining about math, I never said the deal should be off. There are shades between black and white. Median is the better statistic here and mean is obviously used to boost the figures a bit. I’m overall fine with the deal Amazon received from the city and state. 

• Like 4

This same sort of issue was recently discussed in Charlotte.  When Honeywell announced they were moving their corporate headquarters to Charlotte with  750 jobs the average salary was mentioned.  It was reported  at  $348,000 and that is the  average salary but that was skewed way up due to top execs making the big bucks but the median was already $85.000 still good.  The point is sometimes people in the local govt or economic development forget the differences between these 2 words.  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article222572385.html

One thing I hope corporations have learned since this Amazon HQ2 search is to go back to the old way of stealth searches not a big public look at me type search. Gain approval behind the scenes then announce.    If Amazon is paying an average of 150,000 in Nashville that means many jobs will pay much less than that and a proportion will pay a lot more than 150K. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This same sort of issue was recently discussed in Charlotte.  When Honeywell announced they were moving their corporate headquarters to Charlotte with  750 jobs the average salary was mentioned.  It was reported  at  $348,000 and that is the  average salary but that was skewed way up due to top execs making the big bucks but the median was already $85.000 still good.  The point is sometimes people in the local govt or economic development forget the differences between these 2 words.  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article222572385.html

Was the the big corporate announcement someone posted about on UP a couple of weeks ago?

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Honeywell may have been the company he was trying to think of.

No this was announced in December of last year.  

10 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Was the the big corporate announcement someone posted about on UP a couple of weeks ago?

Nope.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Amazon's ripple effects on the Nashville tech scene.

The e-commerce and tech giant has given itself seven years to keep its 5,000-job promise. Of that number, “only” somewhere between 1,000 and 1,750 are expected to be pure IT jobs; the others will be operations and administrative positions that have to be part of a presence as prominent as Amazon will have in Nashville Yards. Company officials are counting on hiring between 400 and 600 people in their first year here.

Put simply: The majority of those jobs will not come from the Nashville area. Amazon has the appeal and clout to recruit from anywhere in the world and Nashville’s ascent into the national and global consciousness is helping broaden the already-big talent pool available to its recruiters.

“In sitting down with us, Amazon’s people have said they don’t want to wreak havoc on the existing market,” says Greater Nashville Technology Council CEO Brian Moyer, who is ballparking that only about a fifth of Amazon’s future workforce is already in Middle Tennessee. “They want to be part of the solution.”

More behind The Nashville Post Magazine paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21060144/amazons-ripple-effects

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

can you reveal what it is? Congrats! 

We dont know yet LOL.  People are pretty tight lipped in NC and our biggest job announcement 2 years ago of Allstate and its 2250 jobs was announced one day completely out of the blue no one had an inkling about it.  Lose lips sink ships.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Yes, but I predict negatively by StandUp Nashville ===> new people coming in to kick us out. 

I didn't know much/anything about StandUp Nashville before to the MLS to the Fairgrounds deal. But they were even keeled and got some decent concessions that will benefit the neighborhood which is their goal. So I'll just wait and see what comes from their efforts, I've been impressed so far. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I didn't know much/anything about StandUp Nashville before to the MLS to the Fairgrounds deal. But they were even keeled and got some decent concessions that will benefit the neighborhood which is their goal. So I'll just wait and see what comes from their efforts, I've been impressed so far. 

I thought they were reasonable during that issue but they've upped the rhetoric to a pretty stupid level regarding the Amazon thing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Anyone else watching the council meeting on the public access channel regarding the Amazon incentives?

Edit: it passes 30-3 with 2 amendments!

Was watching as well. I liked what Cooper had to say. Appreciate the amendments also. The incentive is capped at 17.5 million and they are asking MCC to pay since sales tax around the Amazon building will go to MCC. 

• Like 4