Jump to content

Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards


ZestyEd

Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...

48 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

It drives me crazy to see these pictures and know that there's not a single passenger train or commuter train using these tracks.  I know CSX has good reasons to not want additional trains using their rails, but it still seems like such a waste.  Behold CSX tracks in the region, in blue.  Non CSX tracks are in green.

image.png.0388518df379c491137cfa0d2353d4bc.png

Yep.  CSX tracks would give us an instant regional transit option.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

And Nashville Yards would instantly be the transit hub.

Union Station would be the transit hub and Nashville  Yards  would be the main beneficiary....along with the rest of downtown.

I think everything depends on CSX and if they build a new switching yard to replace  Radnor Yard. There was talk of that on this forum sometime back about a proposal that would put a new yard somewhere SW of Nashville....don't know what will become of it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yes I edited the previous comment in reference to that possibility. I know the UT faculty member who will be heading up that study. He’s a veteran of the school and is from Nashville. You’re speculating on union station poses an interesting question as to the actual station. it is now privately owned and has been adapted for hotel use and is not likely to be seen as an effective or practical design for a modern transit hub. I just done expect metro to be interested in buying it for that use. However metro may be interested in the site of the old shed and or the clement landoirt but I think that may have been sold to private developers too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Yes I edited the previous comment in reference to that possibility. I know the UT faculty member who will be heading up that study. He’s a veteran of the school and is from Nashville. You’re speculating on union station poses an interesting question as to the actual station. it is now privately owned and has been adapted for hotel use and is not likely to be seen as an effective or practical design for a modern transit hub. I just done expect metro to be interested in buying it for that use. However metro may be interested in the site of the old shed and or the clement landoirt but I think that may have been sold to private developers too. 

Yeah…the parking lot that’s where the old shed was would be a good place for the transit hub.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, jmtunafish said:

It drives me crazy to see these pictures and know that there's not a single passenger train or commuter train using these tracks.  I know CSX has good reasons to not want additional trains using their rails, but it still seems like such a waste.  Behold CSX tracks in the region, in blue.  Non CSX tracks are in green.

image.png.0388518df379c491137cfa0d2353d4bc.png

Wow, I didn't know the Music City Star connected that far out.... Transit is definitely possible.,,, Especially with the routes highlighted in green, we could have a good use for the current existing railroad tracks. I don't why there's such an anti thesis against mass transit.  Nashville doesn't even have to build new tracks, we could just use the existing ones and save some money, and maybe in the future we could expand... That'll help out a whole lot....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

Wow, I didn't know the Music City Star connected that far out.... Transit is definitely possible.,,, Especially with the routes highlighted in green, we could have a good use for the current existing railroad tracks. I don't why there's such an anti thesis against mass transit.  Nashville doesn't even have to build new tracks, we could just use the existing ones and save some money, and maybe in the future we could expand... That'll help out a whole lot....

We just have to somehow steal the tracks from CSX.  Easy Peasy. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Just put me in a leather catsuit and lower me down from the ceiling in between the lasers and I'll just grab them and put them in the duffel bag... then we make a B-Line to the roof and hop in the waiting helicopter... Easy Peasy!  

 

product_detailed_image_34076_2230.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I always thought part of the solution to Nashville's traffic woes would be to Bus Pool for the largest employers. Each of Amazon, Oracle, Bridgestone, etc. could determine which employees would use the company dedicated bus, and which part of town they are going to. Nashville could supply the buses. If all of Amazon's employees live in Franklin and Bellevue, the buses would go directly to an agreed upon location there (no stops along the way). 

Maybe if/when more large tech companies come to Nashville there could be bus lines connecting all the tech hubs to different neighborhoods (ex: the Amazon line or oracle line). I know that’s silly but it would be cool if it happened, this is assuming Nashville city government gives a crap about public transportation haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Binbin98 said:

Maybe if/when more large tech companies come to Nashville there could be bus lines connecting all the tech hubs to different neighborhoods (ex: the Amazon line or oracle line). I know that’s silly but it would be cool if it happened, this is assuming Nashville city government gives a crap about public transportation haha

I think, by and large, "Nashville City government" does give a crap about public transportation, but you have to keep in mind that Nashville City government is council strong and executive weak. And the metro council is 40 members with constituencies in far-flung areas of the county ill served by public transit. Hard to get citizens and their representatives on board with infrastructure they don't stand to benefit from (i.e., they don't think they stand to benefit from). Not to mention, Nashville is a somewhat progressive city in a conservative state, the government of which goes out of its way to hamstring transit initiatives and funding for its big cities. 

Edited by Nashvillain
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AUNash said:

I cycle to work regularly right down Elliston and Church. Although there is a bike lane on church down to 40, there’s a choke point at 40 that is hard to navigate. The notion of incentivizing employees to cycle regularly would be enhanced if there was a dedicated bike lane all the way down Elliston to Centennial. This would connect Amazon via a safe bike route to The Nations, Sylvan Park (via 440 greenway), Richland West End, and all the neighborhoods that are connected by the Richland Creek Greenway around McAbe Park. In the other direction, the Commerce bike lane is a good start. But it needs maintenance. And it needs connections to the pedestrian bridge (you can already get from the pedestrian bridge all the way to Shelby Bottoms in a pretty protected bike lane). I haven’t explored how to get from Amazon to Germantown via bike but that would seem another opportunity to connect.

Well said, and I agree.  The bike lanes in Nashville are largely a joke.  A shoulder doesn't magically become a bike lane just because you paint a little bicycle on it, city government.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

Well said, and I agree.  The bike lanes in Nashville are largely a joke.  A shoulder doesn't magically become a bike lane just because you paint a little bicycle on it, city government.  

It doesn't hurt. Narrowing traffic lanes can help with traffic calming. But I'm not sure how you get more people to actually start utilizing the bike lanes. Maybe companies incentivizing not coming to work in a car, cash back for not using a parking space, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.