Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

5 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Don't forget that there's a very, very good engineering school just an hour east of Nashville that churns out a lot of skilled, techie graduates every year.  It's what helped lure SAIC to bring 300+ high-paying IT jobs to Cookeville.  Between TTU to the east of Nashville and UAB to the south of Nashville, plus the 120,000+ college students directly within the Nashville metro, I think there would be plenty of IT people who would be ready for Amazon in Nashville.

https://www.tntech.edu/news/releases/saic-providing-opportunities-for-tennessee-tech-graduates

Do you mean UAH?

• Like 1

TSU has a new concentration in Hospitality Management in their College of Business. That should be promising since they're addressing a local industry in-need.  WKU, UT, and UM (Memphis) all have hospitality degree programs, too.

In hospitality it matters where you study. The aforementioned programs aren't highly-regarded yet (some are kind of new so they still need to make a name). The good news is that Nashville has a much wider draw than the geographic footprint of these programs so we're likely to be on the radars of graduates from the more celebrated programs like Houston, Purdue, and Central Florida.

On the engineering side I wonder if we also have a large number of GA TECH and VA TECH graduates in the area? When I was an undergrad at TN TECH it was common practice to go on to GA or VA for a masters degree. 

High-paying jobs are a definitely a "build it and they will come" type of thing. But then again corporations are sometimes pretty dumb when locating corporate campuses. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

My point is not to say that Amazon isn't heavy in tech. My point is that, at this point, tech is nowhere near the biggest piece of their business.  In that way it is similar to a company like HCA. HCA specializes in healthcare delivery, but to do that they are very heavily involved in tech to support the core business.  Just compare Amazon to Google (which I think everyone agrees is much more tech centric): Google had annual revenues of $72 billion in 2016 and has 72,000 employees.  Amazon had $136 billion in revenue and currently has ~350,000 employees.  Amazon doesn't have an additional 278,000 employees that are all working on software and tech gadgets.  Those employees are working in the logistics side of the business as well as the retail and customer service side. Amazon now even has TV and movie production in house.  Amazon web services makes up only 7.5% of total revenue for the company (although it does make up a majority of profits) and the amazon prime subscription service provided only 1.4% of revenue.  The vast majority of their revenue comes from their retail side.

Clearly, Amazon has tons of experience in tech. However, at the rate they are growing they could fill HQ2 with 50,000 employees just to support their retail and logistics side. And that's my point. I don't think Amazon has to have a city that has a deep tech bench because going forward they will increasingly spend more and more resources on non tech things.  I think that is why a city like Nashville actually has a chance. 

How is Google more "tech-centric" exactly? Based upon your reasoning they are an advertising company. Facebook is also an advertising company. Twitter too. That's their core business.  Why aren't they lumped in with traditional advertising outfits? HCA is using technology to support their core business, while these companies (Amazon included) are using technology to create their core businesses, to disrupt traditional markets and business models and create new markets. That's what makes them "tech" companies first; they use technology to drive everything else. Do you think the Whole Foods acquisition was because Amazon wants to run a traditional grocery store chain? Check out Amazon Go if you think so.

I do agree with your overall point (I think) in that Nashville has a decent pool of existing tech talent and some interesting up-and-coming technology companies, I just don't really understand the HCA analogy. They're a legacy hospital chain in an industry rivaled by perhaps only the U.S. government in it's inefficiency and administrative bureaucracy. Is HCA using technology to try to improve and drive growth of a traditional model? Of course, but that doesn't make them a "tech" company any more than Walmart having an online shopping site makes them a "tech" company. 

"It could take at least $1.7 billion of taxpayer incentives for Nashville to successfully woo the massive second headquarters that Amazon.com Inc. wants to build — according to a newly published analysis that was done by Metro employees."

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/10/06/analysis-it-could-cost-nashville-1-7b-to-land.html

Full report here:

https://socrata.com/blog/amazon-hq2-open-data-informs-nashvilles-decision-bid/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

From what I've read recently, this isn't the case. More people are staying put than say 20-30 years ago.

The catch is getting companies to pay for relocation assistance. Most places aren't really hiring non-local employees in the post-Great Recession era.

It's very risky moving to a new area on your own without a job lined up.

Edited by urbanplanet17

On 10/5/2017 at 8:48 AM, Flatrock said:

Just curious what sources you are basing this statement on? I ask this because there are multiple sources stating that Nashville is, in fact, an up and coming tech 'player'.  I'd posit Nashville is well-situated for substantial tech growth, so quite the opposite of - "isn't that good".

One such example; this article from FORBES in the spring of 2017 - ranking us as #7 in the country out of the 43 largest MSA's. The key word here is "creating".  Cities ahead of us like San Fran, San Jose, Austin, Charlotte, Indy and Raliegh Durham are creating lots of jobs with a healthy existing tech scene. Some cities in the study appear to be counter-intuitive (Detroit). Some cities (San Fran and others) are losing lots of tech jobs even while creating them - to lower tax/cost cities (like to Nashville, for example).

People seem to forget that Detroit is still the world's center for Automotive research and development. In addition to Ford / GM / Chrysler, Toyota , Nissan and Mercedes-Benz' technical centers are all based in Detroit area. 

It just so happen this industry basically cratered during the Great Recession and wasn't really hiring or engaging in a ton of investment for a long time. But it's no longer 2010 and the auto companies are fiscally healthier than they ever been (and begging for Tech / Engineering talent).

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

Detroit, while not in the best of financial shape still, it is a fairly cheap place to do business and the real estate market there is fairly affordable and ripe for the picking. Plus, I truly think it'll be a great renaissance story of a once massive city contracting and then reinventing itself into a healthier, more balanced municipality.

Detroit and Saint Louis are my two dark horse candidates.

Edited by NashRugger
  • Like 1

i have good news everyone.

i am applying for and potentially getting a amazon internship during summer 2018 in amazon London. This isn't a joke I seriously am applying for it, however I don't know if i will get in but if I do I can potentially be a whistleblower about any info regarding there new second headquarters in America. Just a heads up for everyone. I also am not sure when the announcement will be made but if it's in summer 2018 then never mind.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Binbin98 said:

i am applying for and potentially getting a amazon internship during summer 2018 in amazon London. This isn't a joke I seriously am applying for it, however I don't know if i will get in but if I do I can potentially be a whistleblower about any info regarding there new second headquarters in America. Just a heads up for everyone. I also am not sure when the announcement will be made but if it's in summer 2018 then never mind.

Just don't share anything you're not supposed to. As popular as you would become on here, you don't want to compromise your chances with a good potential employer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Just don't share anything you're not supposed to. As popular as you would become on here, you don't want to compromise your chances with a good potential employer.

I agree I just was making a little bit of a bad joke :D it might not even happen where i get the job, but if it does I will only report rumours/side comments and not actual facts

On 10/5/2017 at 3:13 PM, titanhog said:

You have the new Tennessee College of Applied Technology campus in Smyrna across from Nissan (it's huge).  I don't know what all type of "technology" they focus on...but it says "Technology." ;)

Mostly hands on technical programs, i.e. Mechatronics, Machining, Automotive and etc.....not anything Amazon is interested in.....yet....but  this TCAT does have ping pong tables upstairs.....

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2017 at 8:23 PM, Binbin98 said:

Last I heard, the annoucement is going to be made long before you potentially start (possibly as early as January).

Good luck with this opportunity! :)

Edited by urbanplanet17

I have revised my prediction regarding Amazon now

If I was Bezos I would SERIOUSLY be considering Nashville now, mainly because there are now two major developments planned near Nashville, which seem to be ripe for a new amazon or other corporate headquarters. They also seem to be able to be linked by mass transit to downtown Nashville and back, and can be also pedestrian linked to other areas of Nashville. Point being, these new developments being avaliable for amazon to choose seems like a huge advantage for us when it comes to potentially landing amazon, however who knows what the company will do in the end.

• Like 3

As I continue to watch all the speculation here about Amazon I get a dose of reality every time I look at an article. This one does not show Nashville in the top 20. Don't get too excited over this guys, because I really do think we have any kind of chance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazons-next-move-these-cities-are-top-contenders-for-its-new-hq-—-and-50000-jobs/ss-AAsTzV2?ocid=spartanntp

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

As I continue to watch all the speculation here about Amazon I get a dose of reality every time I look at an article. This one does not show Nashville in the top 20. Don't get too excited over this guys, because I really do think we have any kind of chance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazons-next-move-these-cities-are-top-contenders-for-its-new-hq-—-and-50000-jobs/ss-AAsTzV2?ocid=spartanntp

Frankly, the list referenced by your link did not seem credible in my (very limited) opinion on the subject. I'm thinking it's odd to have 3 or 4 California cities on that list (taxes, cost of living, earthquake prone, overhead, etc). It's odd to have NYC (cost of living, taxes, overhead, etc) and Chicago (taxes, crime, state/city headed to bankruptcy, etc) . After Harvey, I'm pretty surprised these smart people would include Houston. Denver, maybe, but too far West.  No Charlotte. Toronto? Maybe, and I don't know much - but I think this thing lands in America for many reasons: taxes, exchange rate, cost of housing in Toronto is horrendous, foreign government risk (anti-business legislation, etc). 

Please, I'm not suggesting we have a significant chance, but I'm definitely suggesting that we have a chance, albeit small. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am just as skeptical as the next guy, but in all fairness the chances of us getting Amazon shouldn't be measured on articles alone, because quite frankly most of them don't know where bezos is going either. I have seen many articles that put Nashville in the top ten most likely choices for relocation, and a few that haven't. In the end I really feel if Amazon is wanting to set up in and transform a city's economy using their presence, Nashville would be a good choice for doing so, however if they don't want to risk a potential economic loss by moving to a city, I expect them to move to a big city in america that already has other companies headquartered there.