Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

57 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

Urban Planet was quoted in the Tennessean:

"From the River North site, Amazon would literally be within walking distance of, not only Germantown via a pedestrian bridge, but also up and coming Cleveland Park and even East Nashville for the more ambitious souls," read a post on the Urban Planet blog. "At the least, they would be a short shuttle, Uber or bike ride away for home for 10's of thousands of their employees. That's better for employees and the planet than shipping them to some distant 'burb, even by train. What other city brings that to the table?"

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/19/amazons-h-2-q-where-tech-giant-could-land-nashville-area/758222001/

Of course, there isn’t a better source for all things development and build environment related than here, so might as well use it. 

lol flattering that they're cribbing lines from this site, but the former college student in me finds it annoying that they didn't cite the particular poster who posted this. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've heard they're also called "Amholes".  Amazon likes to hire young inexperienced people and their corporate culture apparently lacks the niceties of civilized society, so when they burn out after a few years and go to other businesses they have never learned the basics of workplace etiquette or collegiality.  I'm fine with Amazon going someplace else.  It's not like they invented mail order, their whole business model depends on ruthlessly pursuing favors from all levels of government.  Hopefully some other taxpaying suckers will end up footing the bill this time.

• Like 3

And another thing...

I imagine most of you have seen this, but if not... https://www.geekwire.com/2015/inside-the-world-of-amholes-and-amabots-nyt-expose-digs-into-amazons-hard-charging-and-punishing-workplace-culture/

It’s an environment where workers are frequently driven to tears, others are weeded out after encountering medical issues, and a competitive stack-rank system encourages employees to undermine one another.

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting article from Curbed...

"While Raleigh, located in the Research Triangle, and Pittsburgh, with its booming tech scene, have very low housing costs, which would meet one of Amazon’s stated criteria, the influx of workers would lead to the creation of lots of luxury rentals and drive up rent. San Jose might actually have the toughest time adapting: Bay Area housing costs are already through the roof (jumping 57 percent between 2005 and 2015), and the slow pace of building in California would present a big challenge to affordability if Amazon came to town."

https://www.curbed.com/2017/10/19/16502988/amazon-hq2-bid-rent-apartment-housing

image.png.c7013c74c92f8dcecd642854ef66d958.png

35 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

It’s an environment where workers are frequently driven to tears, others are weeded out after encountering medical issues, and a competitive stack-rank system encourages employees to undermine one another.

That sounds almost as bad as another company that was recently the subject of state whoring - Foxconn.

• Like 3

The mentality that exemplifies the  beotching in the article.... ha

"

But he was wrong. Seattle is already dead. Amazon made sure of that.

Seattle has always been prosperous. Now, it is expensive. The center of the blight is South Lake Union, for decades a low-rent neighborhood of warehouses and newspapers. Nearly three years ago, Amazon bought 11 buildings in the area, from Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, for $1.16 billion; its objective is to build a “campus” in the image of Google’s, in Mountain View.

Efforts to this end have not been unsuccessful. South Lake Union used to be a dump. Now, as in Brooklyn (as in San Francisco, as in Portland, as in Austin), cubical buildings and yuppie boutiques have emerged from the carcass of industry. South Lake Union is no longer a neighborhood; it is a boomtown,"

Though obvious, the NYT was actually a good article (I rarely say that these days). The writer both loves and hates aspects of having Amazon HQ in Seattle. I get it....Seattle has lost something and Seattle has gained something. 

IMO there is no doubt the positives exponentially  outweigh the negatives. 

Moody's (ACBJ) has its list of top prospects for this ...  https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/news/latest-news/2017/10/moody-s-analytics-the-amazon-hq2-shortlist.html

I do NOT expect it to go to Austin. My top predictions are Dallas, Washington, suburban NYC, Atlanta. As always, there will be a dark horse. Will that be Raleigh? Nashville? Pittsburgh?   Maybe that's where the incentives will play a role. I wonder if state incentives from Raleigh will be opposed by Charlotte and Pittsburgh's by Philly.  Could that help a dark horse like Nashville or Kansas City?  Not out of the question. Just random musings on a Friday evening.

Moody's Amazon

On 2017/10/20 at 7:58 AM, Binbin98 said:

Nashville won't get the headquarters, however, what I am hoping happens is that our proposal, growth, quality of life,  and availability of sites to build large corporate headquarters on  will give amazon a good impression at least and catch the eye of other big corporations who can move their headquarters here in the future. Nashville is a growing city that will land a corporate headquarters sometimes in he future, but not now as I believe it is too soon.

If amazon miraculously goes to Nashville, I will literally donate $5000 to urban planet. This is a bet hopefully everyone can get behind :P 

• Like 4

My top 3 are: Dallas, Denver, & Philadelphia.

If Amazon wants to help create a new tech hub, then these: Nashville, Pittsburgh, & Columbus.

Dark horses: Detroit, Saint Louis, & Cincinnati.

Stunners, but not entirely ruled out: Orlando, Kansas City, & Phoenix.

I truly think Washington, Boston, and suburban NYC are good candidates, but one of the key reasonings Amazon is doing this is because Seattle is just far too expensive, becoming the secondary Bay Area of the West Coast.

I have bet on Atlanta the whole time; big metro 5 million plus, lots of infrastructure, mass transit, a Gulch site near downtown, busiest airport in world, big colleges and universities etc.  And the ability to absorb even more people etc.  However this creates a wonderful opportunity for more jobs to head to Nashville, Charlotte or Raleigh Durham as all have some growing tech hubs of their own:  Health care IT, Fintech and Life sciences and general technology respectively. We three "2nd tier" cities could benefit greatly by not having Amazon HQ2 in our cities. 

I will be glad when this circus is over.   I do think this will be an eastern time zone location whether Atlanta, maybe DC suburbs, or New Jersey with their $7 BILLION CARROT STICK offered. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

This proves what I have been talking about from Dallas Business Journal. Other companies want to see where Amazon ends up so they go elsewhere.  https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/10/19/how-dallas-fort-worth-is-already-feeling-the.html?ana=e_ae_set3&s=scroll&ed=2017-10-21&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1508592556&j=79031501

"I've seen a slowdown in relocating companies and companies waiting to make a final determination until Amazon makes a decision," Arledge told the Dallas Business Journal. "The Amazon effect has slowed down some things. Until they put together a short list or pick a final location, I think this will continue to have an impact on some other real estate searches."

"With Amazon promising to bring up to 50,000 jobs with the average pay of $100,000 with its second North American campus, Arledge said companies — especially those in the financial services or technology industries — want to steer clear of Amazon's No.1 draft pick for an HQ2."

• Like 2

People in Denver boast that they’ve got it in the bag. Some in Texas swear that Austin has HQ2 (just not announced). I’m in agreement that the location has been decided and Amazon is creating a bidding war for the most in public incentive dollars they can squeeze out of their preferred city. I do not expect it to be Nashville (and I hope it is not Nashville).

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ i dont know where this will go but I can assure you it wont be Denver.  Wrong time zone and most of the population and their customers lives east of the Mississippi.  I still would bet on Atlanta.  

I am rooting for Philadelphia for this one. Makes business sense for Amazon, and would be a much needed shot in the arm for a great city. Unfortunately, the more and more I think about it, the more I think it would cause Nashville massive amounts of short term economic harm (through HUGE increases in the cost of living), and long term impacts on its very soul. Nashville just isn't ready for it, but Philadelphia could absorb it.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 2