Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

I honestly hope another large company relocates their headquarters to Nashville than amazon, such as a big healthcare or logistics company. In my dreams I would love it if Schneider Electric or Royal Philips created a second NA headquarters in Nashville, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Scary that Nashville's "College Population" is so low. I don't think the "Tech Labor Force"  score is any big shocker. Overall I would say Nashville is in pretty good company in these rankings - aside from Newark (which benefits from proximity to NYC) these are top-tier American cities.

• Like 3

That is quite odd that Nashville scores so low in college population--not sure what to think about that. Austin basically being zero is unexpected as well considering  the University of Texas sports an enrollment of well over 50,000  on its own with Texas State (35,000 +) just 30 miles away.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Outskirts said:

That is quite odd that Nashville scores so low in college population--not sure what to think about that. Austin basically being zero is unexpected as well considering  the University of Texas sports an enrollment of well over 50,000  on its own with Texas State (35,000 +) just 30 miles away.

Weird wording on their part, but I think they're referring to the college educated population, not the student population.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

Another list. This time from CNBC where they give A through F grades to various categorical qualities.

Nashville gets a B-  along with Atlanta, Austin, DC/North Va. and Seattle (?). The combined Charlotte/Raleigh and Greensboro area gets  a B.

From the article......

City, State

Population

Stability

Talent

GPA

Letter Avg

Chicago, IL

A+

F

D-

C-

D+

Newark NJ

A+

F

D+

F

D+

New York, NY

A+

F

F

F

D

Cle/Col/Cin, OH

A+

F

F

B-

C-

Austin, TX

A+

F

C

A-

B-

Atlanta, GA

A+

B-

C-

C-

B-

Seattle, WA

A+

D+

B+

D+

B-

Denver, CO

A+

B-

B-

F

C+

Salt Lake City, UT

A+

B-

C-

D+

B-

Orlando FL

A+

B-

F

C

C

PGH/PHL, PA

A+

F

F

D

D+

Detroit MI

A+

D+

D+

C+

C+

Boston MA

A+

D+

B+

F

C+

Minneapolis MN

A+

C-

B-

D-

C+

DC/VA

A+

C

A-

F

B-

Portland, OR

A+

F

D-

D+

C-

RAL/CLT/GSO, NC

A+

C+

C-

B-

B

Hickory, NC

F

C+

C-

B-

C-

PHO/TUC, AZ

A+

D+

D+

F

C

Nashville, TN

A+

A-

F

B-

B-

Las Vegas, NV

A+

C

F

C-

C

Anchorage, AK

F

F

F

F

F

Scarborough, ME

F

F

F

F

F

Nowhere in North Carolina is going to get the Amazon headquarters. I know this because of the stupid anti-lgbt laws they pass in the local government over there. Regardless of your view on them they tend to keep liberal companies (such as Amazon from freaking Seattle of all liberal places) out due to the fact that the quality of life wont be the same for all workers under those laws. We are leaving this out of the equation, but I feel it really DOES make a difference, especially since places like Austin have similar or better tech talent then Raleigh and generally have a more liberal environment. Paypal backed out, why should Amazon follow the same path?

• Like 4