Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

A black eye for Tennessee is the fact that Beretta is not able to find qualified workers for their new facility in Gallatin .  This does not bode well for the area and the are going out 500 miles to recruit. This was from a TN story last week.

Beretta hasn't adjusted to the market....there are qualified workers who take better paying jobs with better environmental conditions in the immediate area.  What is Beretta's starting pay....$13 or $14 an hour?  Similar employers in the area, CIP and others start at $18 and over $20 an hour for those similarly skilled workers.  Environmentally,  Beretta execs didn't see the need for air conditioning  the new facility when moving from Maryland. 

Beretta hasn't done themselves any favors.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3

Interesting to see the city looking at Antioch for a possible location for the Amazon HQ2 location. Apparently in the same development where IKEA is going. 

Amazon headquarters: Where tech giant could land in Nashville
http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/19/amazons-h-2-q-where-tech-giant-could-land-nashville-area/758222001/

• Like 2

Yeah...... no.... This is clearly just an "opinion piece" and The Tennessean forgot to label it as such. They claim it could be a good Nashville area for the HQ2 because Ikea just announced a store will be built there? Also, "All we need is a high speed monorail between downtown and Murfreesboro.".... yeah, when pigs fly.

Seriously, Amazon is looking for a vibrant downtown area in a major metropolitan city with well-developed transit. Even if they do choose Nashville, it wont be out in Antioch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:20 PM, nativetenn said:

The bid is surprisingly a lot more impressive than I expected.

While they're facing tough competition, I'd be surprising if they don't at least make the short list.

Edited by urbanplanet17

I'd rather any other city get it than Atlanta.  Every place I've gone to in Atlanta has horrible customer service.  I just don't care for the attitudes of people in Atlanta. The airport is terrible.  I'll pay for a more expensive flight just to avoid Atlanta's airport.  The traffic is a complete disaster. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they picked Atlanta. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I'd rather any other city get it than Atlanta.  Every place I've gone to in Atlanta has horrible customer service.  I just don't care for the attitudes of people in Atlanta. The airport is terrible.  I'll pay for a more expensive flight just to avoid Atlanta's airport.  The traffic is a complete disaster. I'll be surprised and disappointed if they picked Atlanta. 

Not a huge fan of Atlanta either. Pretty much any large city that had the bulk of its growth from the 1960s to the 1980s isn’t enjoyable to me. I find them too car centric and they have very little unique culture. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Now that I'm a resident of suburban Atlanta and looking forward to the doubling/troubling of my home value, I must respectfully disagree.  :P

Maybe I don't go to the same places as you did, as I encounter a ton of southern hospitality everywhere I go. Granted, I'm on the SW side of town where there are still of ton of Georgia natives versus transplants (so that could be why). 

That said, I won't be upset if an underdog (like Detroit or Nashville) landed Amazon either. 

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

If this Business Insider article doesn't give you pause (& some serious heebie-jeebies) about Amazon's HQ2 landing in your town, nothing will...

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq-photo-tour-seattle-make-any-city-wary-of-amazon-hq2-2017-12

More reason for them to choose a city that has a huge chunk of land where they can build their whole campus (River North).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatrock said:

If this Business Insider article doesn't give you pause (& some serious heebie-jeebies) about Amazon's HQ2 landing in your town, nothing will...

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-hq-photo-tour-seattle-make-any-city-wary-of-amazon-hq2-2017-12

Man, I WISH some fat amazon rent-a-cop would start trying to question me on a public street. That irritated me just reading about it. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Man, I WISH some fat amazon rent-a-cop would start trying to question me on a public street. That irritated me just reading about it. Thanks for sharing! 

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The potential cultural shift (to the negative) might be substantial. More easily absorbed in a larger metro. Might stain us indelibly. Dunno.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Flatrock said:

This is terrible..... This "dead areas after 5pm" scenario they mention reminds me of the Financial District in Manhattan on the weekends. Nothing is open because there are no workers present. 

Apparently word reached Atlanta about that. Local news here in Chattyburg was Gov. Deal has told legislators to be ready for special session if they have to open their checkbook. Governor's name has become "Les Mayka" Deal. The cost of getting AZN HQ2 is about to go up... really fast. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1