Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

Regarding the airport issue:  don't you think that if Nashville were to win the bid that there would be several airlines vying for more direct flights to key Amazon related cities  (both domestic and international) out of BNA?  Of course they would.  

On another note: Nashville considered a dark horse candidate...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/01/18/amazon-h-2-nashville-among-list-candidate-cities-new-headquarters/1043527001/

• Like 3

For those of you who like these sorts of things.....

Location of Amazon HQ2 (Bovada):

Nashville +800
Washington, D.C. +1000
Atlanta +1200
Dallas/Austin/Philadelphia +1400
Pittsburgh/Indy/LA/Montgomery County +1500
Chicago/Denver +1600
New York City/Raleigh/Toronto/Northern Virginia/Newark +1800 Columbus/Boston/Miami +2000

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to take Amazon at their word that they used their criteria to come up with the list of 20. I think they may have thoughts on where this will go, but I think they are now going to take these 20 and really go through them with a fine tooth comb to determine which city is going to work best for them in the long term. 

The thought of them choosing Nashville is both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.....for me.

• Like 4

*SORRY REALIZED AFTER FACT THIS WAS ALREADY POSTED*

Nashville +800

Washington, D.C. +1000

Atlanta +1200

Chicago/Denver +1600

New York City/Raleigh/Toronto/Northern Virginia/Newark +1800

Columbus/Boston/Miami +2000

Edited by DDIG
Already posted

5 minutes ago, DDIG said:

Nashville +800

Washington, D.C. +1000

Atlanta +1200

Chicago/Denver +1600

New York City/Raleigh/Toronto/Northern Virginia/Newark +1800

Columbus/Boston/Miami +2000

Am I reading this right? Is Nashville the highest ranked?

1 hour ago, bhibbs said:

For those of you who like these sorts of things.....

Nashville +800
Washington, D.C. +1000
Atlanta +1200
Chicago/Denver +1600
New York City/Raleigh/Toronto/Northern Virginia/Newark +1800 Columbus/Boston/Miami +2000

I would love to see their reasonings.  But I do like our odds.

14 hours ago, titanhog said:

xtianpoop...what does your username mean?  Every time it pops up, I'm trying to figure out a way to pronounce it in my head. 

Pronounce it "ex-chin poop." My first name is Christian (after Duke's most hated player), and while it's a funny handle resulting from collegiate inside jokes (poop being a more appropriate word to say after a gaffe), I synesthetically like how it reads.

4 hours ago, Flatrock said:

I hear ya - - and I believe we're a long-shot, BUT, I'm not buying the lack of tech talent as a reason. Here's why:

I'm not sure where you're getting the data to support the statement that  Nashville struggles to attract tech talent. [...] People want to be here...from virtually every professional vocation/discipline, including tech. True, there aren't thousands of 'tech' peeps lying around Nashville just kickin' it. But I seriously doubt there are 50,000....or 10,000...or 5,000 tech folks sitting on their collective hands doing nothing in DC, Boston, Austin, Atlanta, Philly, Dallas, etc..  

WHEREVER HQ2 goes, a massive recruiting effort will be absolutely required - with an epic relocation/migration of tech talent to the chosen city.

One of the professional hats I wear is managing partner of an IT managed service provider. We regularly recruit from outside the area. People want to move here. We know this already. It's so easy to recruit to Nashville with a job that pays competitively. As Nashville's salaries have risen significantly in the past few years, we compete fairly well with the rest of the country. If I was 28 years old and offered 100k to live in Boston, DC or Nashville -- my clear choice is here. It provides the quickest root to establish home ownership, building wealth, etc.

As a young tech professional, I can vouch for this. When Chattanooga's market is tight or employers stingy- Nashville is the immediate go-to. Amazon has consistently rolling positions, meaning wanted postings up perpetually. What's more - unlike many medium to small tech companies in TN - Amazon is about pipeline building. The bar is high, but they do take new developers, programmers, etc and give them their first jobs. Senior positions are always difficult to recruit, but it only takes a few seniors to lead, mentor many juniors.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Am I reading this right? Is Nashville the highest ranked?

at this time, yes.
I had someone explain it to me a little better:

"Basically it means that if you put 100 bucks down on Nashville at +800.. you win 800. Bigger the odds. Bigger the payout"

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Flatrock said:

I hear ya - - and I believe we're a long-shot, BUT, I'm not buying the lack of tech talent as a reason. Here's why: ...

7 hours ago, xtianpoop said:

... they do take new developers, programmers, etc and give them their first jobs. Senior positions are always difficult to recruit, but it only takes a few seniors to lead, mentor many juniors.

- Nashville is just not attractive to top level tech talent, not big enough?, maybe the country music?, lack of creativity?, who knows. While Nashville has come a long way; techies are still excited to move to LA, Austin, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Atlanta, etc, not Nashville

Screenshot_20180119-201401.jpg.6b7bb178e4033753e8c8b585e363d089.jpg

- I am a senior level techie. 35 search hits in LinkedIn, by Thursday morning when I woke up plus numerous emails, messages, etc. Annoying. NOT  tooting my own horn, just demonstrating the need for QUALITY talent

My personal experience with the influx resulted in more newbies and junior talent. Mid-level and senior-level talent is nearly non-existent. Honestly, I feel like we get the leftovers and rejects from other cities, but maybe I'm a bit harsh. For what it's worth, of 5, I see 1 great, 1 good, 1 ok, 1 slow/lazy, 1 will be arrested. Not too good when compared to LA, Austin, Atlanta, etc.

Sorry, my opinion from 20+ years experience

• Like 2