Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

"You are making a 50-year decision," Haslam said. "We won't always be at 3 percent unemployment. I think with Amazon, that is something that will draw a lot of people in. Wherever they go, they will bring a lot of people, not necessarily with them, but to them."”

This is a great point. 

I have to assume people that don’t want this also don’t want mass transit. Because it won’t help now!

I’m not a negative person but lately people have been really needling me. 
  • Like 4

On 1/19/2018 at 9:47 PM, LA_TN said:

- Nashville is just not attractive to top level tech talent, not big enough?, maybe the country music?, lack of creativity?, who knows. [...]

My personal experience with the influx resulted in more newbies and junior talent. Mid-level and senior-level talent is nearly non-existent. Honestly, I feel like we get the leftovers and rejects from other cities, but maybe I'm a bit harsh. [...]

You weren't seriously asking, but thinking about it for a bit, my gut leans towards perception. Nashville isn't billed as a "tech" town. Startups are billed some, but not tech. I'm thinking in terms of messaging. That's one side, and the other side is from individual companies recruiting,  getting the word out. I totally can see the "leftovers and rejects" you say Nashville gets- that is, just not top tiers, competitive talent. Hate to keep bringing Chatt into it (half to less-than half the size doesn't make for great comparison), but their primers, their other PR efforts, etc at least sells itself as a place for tech (if only under the guise of "entrepreneurial," startups, etc). It's a place of pride. Numbers pale to Nashville, but to my reference of Nashville's messaging...that would be one place I would start were I in any official capacity for the city.

On 1/20/2018 at 12:30 AM, Hey_Hey said:

Senior people don't want to move to new cities, and that's not something unique to tech.  [...] I don't think there's anything that is necessarily un-appealing about Nashville to tech people, it's just that Nashville doesn't have a deep bench of junior people already here that will become senior people.

I'm not convinced that HQ2 will be the major tech headquarters either.  [...]

Agreed on all accounts. Hit all the nails on their heads. 

23 hours ago, PHofKS said:

I think it's very possible Seattle will still  be the primary IT center managing the logistics of running the massive distribution system. However, I can see HQ2 as a place for various divisions and ancillary industries such as music, entertainment production and healthcare, requiring less IT talent and more management, legal, sales,  and production talent. In that case,  Nashville would be the perfect place to grow those kinds of industries.

Put each division in a skyscraper, then build movie, TV and recording studios  on their campus at River North where they can see and harness the energy, growth, talent and uniqueness of Music City, USA.

Quoting this one because - while I'm undecided if I'd like the HQ2 in Nash (admittedly, I've no present dog in the race) - Amazon would be well to do all you say here. It didn't click before now how brilliantly positioned Nashville is (and could be) for future growth opportunities for Amazon...studios, healthcare, on top of a bolstering logistics hub, to name but a few.

Edited by xtianpoop
Forgot to bold bits of last quote
  • Like 3

Just FYI and FWIW:

Synopsis- there's a development in the works for Atlanta's Gulch area that's pretty much dovetailing with Amazon's specs.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2018/As-Atlanta-vies-for-Amazon-s-second-headquarters-a-developer-just-happens-to-be-proposing-an-Amazon-sized-5-billion-downtown-project/id-cf0986da5577400ea81dd16c41d21666

• Like 2

They could build their campus at River North and also have a few office locations across the city to “stitch into the fabric of the city” or whatever they said they wanted to do. I could see them leasing space downtown and especially midtown/music row. With music row, the Virgin Hotel, and the bar/music/food scene of that area, I could see Amazon wanting to be there. 

Not that I want Amazon to come here, but I would hope their brass would not be dumb enough to scatter their office operations over multiple locations. That would be incredibly inefficient. 

River North, Williamson County, etc would be more efficient.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

I've thought River North was their only option in Nashville, but on the heels of the Nashville Yards announcement of their 750,000 sq foot office building today I may be changing my mind.  While River North would give them a huge area of contiguous land, they could probably also make their campus within easy walking distance of Nashville Yards (Southwestern CBD).  They have announced that they will need up to 8 million square feet, although that will take a decade or longer to fully build out wherever they locate.  

Here is what I see:

Already announced (1.9 million sq ft):

Nashville Yards Phase I office: 750,000 sq ft

Mainland at KVB Roundabout : 400,000 sq ft

Endeavor Deja Vue property: 350,000 sq ft

5th & Broad: 385,000 sq ft

That would be  almost 2 million sq ft in office space already announced and would allow them to begin massive operations within two or three years.  That still leaves ~6 million square feet to be built, but I think we could get that as well.

Obvious targets of additional office with my estimated sq feet (5.8 million sq ft):

Nashville Yards additional office: 500,000 sq ft

Turnberry site adjacent to JWM: 600,000 sq ft

Liff Properties: 1.25 million sq ft

Tennessean Property: 1 million sq ft

Giarratana property at roundabout: 350,000 sq ft

Demonbreun Hill redevelopment: 500,000 sq ft

Market Street Property along Demonbreun b/w 11th and 12th: 400,000 sq ft

Whiskey Kitchen property: 350,000 sq ft

AME Church property at KVB roundabout: 500,000 sq ft

Gibson Guitar property at Church and 11th Ave N: 350,000 sq ft

Building out all of these buildings would provide 7.7 million square feet by my estimates and would stretch from the KVB roundabout to Church street which is roughly 3/4 mile in distance. It would also extend up Demonbreun Hill and provide Amazon a natural location for their music and entertainment divisions to be housed. It would provide a mixed used "Amazon Campus" of roughly 1/4 sq mile (150 acres) with residential, office, hotels, entertainment, shopping, groceries, cultural amenities, and public transit. The majority of the campus would be within 1/2 mile of either of the two transit tunnel stops. As compared to River North, this "Amazon Campus" would be woven into the fabric of the urban core of Nashville instead of having it's own enclave away from downtown. While River North would allow them to start with a clean slate, this location would allow them to utilize infrastructure that is already in place. 

I love the idea, but I highly doubt amazon would be able to lease basically every inch of office space that is projected to come online in the downtown area over the next 5 years or so. If they did, however, it would most likely accelerate River North, even without amazon as a tenant. Downtown would be pretty tapped out, RN would be the only place left with plentiful land for high rise building in the core. 

• Like 1

There are still many significant parcels within CBD north of Broadway and in the northern Gulch that (for the right price) could be purchased and have big boys put on them.  Here are  some screen shots of Smeagolsfree's excellent development map:

The dual lots on either side of 5th Ave. North along the north side of Commerce St:

Dual lots at Commerce and 5th Ave North.png

Giarrantana's lot facing Church Street and the lot just south of Nashville City Center:

Giarrantana lot and Nash City Center lot #2 on Church.png

The NE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd and Church St:

Church and Rosa Parks Blvd..png

The SW corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Church St:

SW corner of Church and Rosa Parks.png

The block along the south side of Commerce between Rosa Parks and 7th Ave. North:

SW corner of Commerce and 7th.png

The dual lots of Southern Baptist Convention HQ (up for sale), and the Christ Chathedral parking lot at SW corner of Rosa Parks and Commerce:

Dual lots of Southern Baptist Convention and Christ Church parking.png

The Liff/Cummins Station lots on either side of Demonbreun:

Union Station parking lot.png

Liff Cummins properties along Demonbreun.png

The Exxon property at SE corner of 12th Ave. and Broadway (currently up for sale):

Exxon Broadway property.png

The surface lots behind the new Endeavor project along 12th Ave. North and Grundy St:

Lots north of Endeavor.png

The Gibson properties bounded by Church 12th Ave. North, Grundy, and 11th Ave. North (most currently up for sale)

Gibson properties.png

A real jewel: the entire N.E.S. campus (but please leave the art deco HQ building) bounded by George L. Davis Blvd, Charlotte Ave, 11th Ave. North, and Church Street:

NES properties.png

The parking lots for Tenn State Univ. Avon Campus and YMCA along10th Ave. North:

Tenn State Univ Avon Campus and YMCA parking lots.png

SE corner of Charlotte and Rosa Parks Blvd:

SE corner of Charlotte and JRP.png

The State parking lots along Rosa Parks Blvd. on north side of Charlotte:

State Office lots at JRP and Rosa Parks.png

The Whiskey Kitchen site and surface lot for Bohan Bldg at NE corner of Demonbreun and 12th Ave. South:

Whiskey Kitchen and Bohan parking sites.png

The block at SE corner of Demonbreun and 12th Ave. South:

SE corner of 12th and Demonbreun.png

The oddly shaped lot at NW corner of Lea and 9th Ave. South:

810 Lea property.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1