Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

Well I think Boston will be out of the running.  Has anyone looked at their proposal?  Its Suffolk Downs site right next to Logan, right next to an OIL Refinery.  And since we always complain about height regulations on this site, well Suffolk Downs only allows 150".   I think Boston just threw in their hat to see how far they can get.  I'm sure Amazon loves the smell of Oil and Jet fuel in the morning! 

Logan Airport FFA Height regulations

http://www.massport.com/media/1545/boston-logan-airspace-map.pdf

Boston Proposal

https://amazon.boston.gov/

• Like 4

^ Doesn’t look too appealing. I legitimately think that we may get much further than many people think. Some of the big cities may not take us seriously but we have a very strong site, our city is in the ascendency, and it doesn’t yet have the crippling issues with traffic and sprawl that places like Atlanta, LA, and Dallas have. I think, especially if the transit referendum passes, we could be top 5, maybe top 3. Plus you can’t ignore the increased taxes that many wealthy residents of higher-tax state’s will pay due to the recent federal tax overhaul. Makes being an executive in one of those states less appealing in comparison with no-income tax states like Tennessee. 

• Like 3

I'm still puzzled over why they chose Nashville over Charlotte which has the much larger airport and probably a larger pool of tech people to supply as workers for Amazon. It also has an ambitious mass transit program ongoing and expanding. Charlotte seems to check a lot of boxes, that may be problematical for Nashville.

Without getting into a City vs. City debate, what does Nashville offer that Charlotte doesn't?  I've always seen Charlotte as a New York style city and Nashville as a Los Angeles type of city. Is Bezos looking for a certain lifestyle in a city?  Nashville, Austin and Denver seem to provide a different living experience  for it's residents with a little wider variety of options in entertainment (Nashville, Austin), outdoor activity (Denver).

But one compelling factor that may have tipped Nashville into the finals is that it, along with Denver and Austin,  is a State Capitol. That probably is why Raleigh, Columbus, and Indianapolis made the cut, also. It didn't help Minneapolis-St. Paul (too cold) or Salt Lake City (west of Rockies) however. But being close to the center of power in a state may be important than we think.

Trying to find any other pattern of appealing factors in these selections is almost impossible. There seems to be an avoidance of the northern, snowy climes and the sweltering southwestern climes (Houston, Phoenix). Bezos likes the biggest cities as DC gets three spots, NYC gets two and LA is the only west of the Rockies city chosen. The only major cities left out were Detroit, Phoenix and Houston for the above listed reasons.

So either being a big city, plus mild climate and/or power centers seem to be the common factors involved in 19 of the cities on the final list. The odd exception to these factors seems to be Pittsburgh. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

In regards to the Nashville over Charlotte decision:

1. Nashville doesn’t have a dominant industry in the same way that banking is in Charlotte. Perhaps amazon wants a more economically varied landing ground, or doesn’t want to be out-moneyed or out-prestiged by big banks. 

2. I mean no disrespect to Charlotte but Nashville has a cool-factor that very few cities have. It’s what appeals about us nationally and internationally, and it’s why people love visiting here and want to come back. We hit way above our population weight in regards to culture. I suppose that could lift us over some of our peer cities in companies that want to be seen as cool. 

This Charlottean won't argue with you on #2.  Nashville has a buzz we don't have. Although I hasten to add that the buzz is probably superficial and is connected to entertainment and celebrity. Jobs are jobs. And Charlotte is churning those out like a monster.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Flatrock said:

'Amazon to Create Heath Care Company'

Hmmmmm

http://wkrn.com/2018/01/30/amazon-to-create-health-care-company/

When Amazon first announced a search for a second headquarters I knew that Nashville would get serious consideration. It's been out for at least a year that they wanted to get into the healthcare industry.

This is not good news for those who want Amazon II to stay away from Nashville.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

As Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JPMorgan Chase announced they would together seek to tackle the high-cost health care industry for their employees, the Nashville health care community reacted with intrique.  

Vic Gatto, CEO of health care investment fund Jumpstart Foundry, said the slow pace at which the health care sector has addressed its challenges and innovated has been worrisome. He sees Amazon's and Berkshire's health care focus as yielding greater opportunities for early stage companies that offer cost-saving alternatives to current practices, Gatto said. 

Amazon's new health care focus also could be beneficial to Nashville's bid for a second Amazon headquarters, Gatto said. The Seattle-based company announced in January that Nashville was among 20 cities being considered for the facility that will employ about 50,000 people.

"We have a lot of health care talent that lives in Nashville," Gatto said. "It certainly is a vote in Nashville's direction that Amazon is getting into health care."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/01/30/amazon-healthcare-berkshire-hathaway-jp-morgan-nashville/1078834001/

• Like 3

On 1/30/2018 at 12:45 PM, Ingram said:

When Amazon first announced a search for a second headquarters I knew that Nashville would get serious consideration. It's been out for at least a year that they wanted to get into the healthcare industry.

This is not good news for those who want Amazon II to stay away from Nashville.

This plays well for D.C., Boston, and Nashville. Especially D.C.

• Like 1