Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

Amazon.com Inc.'s second headquarters will largely benefit the winning city's credit and economic outlook despite some concerns about putting too many real estate holdings and hires in one place.

That's the conclusion of a report from S&P Global Ratings. It said the 50,000 high-paying jobs that come with the HQ2 project would strengthen the winning area's per capita purchasing power — the amount of money residents have to spend after taxes and other deductions.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/02/01/s-p-city-that-lands-amazons-hq2-open-to-risks.html

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SoundScan said:

Retirees moving from a high cost of living area to a low cost of living area--shocking.

P.S. my fiance and I are moving to the Bay Area at the end of this month--so there's at least two people countering the "mass exodus" haha.

Yeah those places have a high cost of living because they are great places to live. Bay area is amazing

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 1

Guys, yes there was a retiree moving from San Jose to Nashville...but the bigger part of the story was the exorbitant living costs driving away technical talent. This of course prompted my assertion that Nashville's cost of living would play a big role if we were to land AHQ2. 

Possibly, yet there are only so many Google, and Palantir positions....and even they are building housing so their employees can afford housing.  I would venture the lion's share of the Amazon HQ2 positions would not require technically innovative positions (though there will be some required), but more mundane technically competent positions.

8 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Spot on insanity, yeesh, reads like a bunch of crazies.

You're right, full of crazies, some right-wing site must've linked to this.  Still, places like coastal California, New York, London, most of the European capitals apparently, have simply got to find a way to address the problem of affordability.  They are on a non-sustainable trajectory, just like healthcare, higher education, and pharmaceuticals,probably other areas of our economy.  The economic statistics for coastal California are over the top-productivity thru the roof, economy the size of France with far fewer people-but the average house in San Jose is over $1,000,000.  

One possibility is high speed commuter rail, connecting communities out 50-200 miles to the economic vitality created by large, dense metropolises,  I think this may be happening in Italy, Spain and France, but given America's ambivalent feelings about investing in the future I'm not optimistic it can happen here.

LOLing at the bitter woman in the video, anyway.  I hope that's not typical of what's headed here.

Edited by Neigeville2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruraljuror said:

Did you read the comments?  You may disagree about whether they are crazy or not, but they are definitely not left-wing.

I read YOUR comments...and my comment is based solely on the fact that this website is becoming more and more like Facebook where mocking others' political beliefs is now accepted and not deleted by moderators.   I actually hate the "left wing / right wing" crap.  I delete it from my FB feed...and would love if the members here could refrain from pointing fingers and spiraling another thread into "you are wrong...I am right."  We're not going to solve any political differences on this website.  I only comment to those who post anti-conservative remarks to let others know there are several members on this site  who loves Urban planning who are not liberals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, titanhog said:

I read YOUR comments...and my comment is based solely on the fact that this website is becoming more and more like Facebook where mocking others' political beliefs is now accepted and not deleted by moderators.   I actually hate the "left wing / right wing" crap.  I delete it from my FB feed...and would love if the members here could refrain from pointing fingers and spiraling another thread into "you are wrong...I am right."  We're not going to solve any political differences on this website.  I only comment to those who post anti-conservative remarks to let others know there are several members on this site  who loves Urban planning who are not liberals.

I agree with your sentiments here, but in defense of Neigeville2 and ruraljuror, every comment on that linked article was about how "libtards ruin everthing". Calling them extreme right-wing comments wasn't so much an insult as it was just sheer observation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2018/02/08/how-labor-markets-in-amazons-hq2-finalist-cities-stack-up/

You can’t read this article unless you are a Wall Street journal subscriber, but it’s a good read about why sunbelt markets such as Austin, Raleigh and yes Nashville have the advantage when it comes to labor market growth and availability. This is good news I feel because many have been skeptics of nashville’s Ability to provide educated workers if amazon moved here.

• Like 4