Amazon: The Thread | 5,000 Jobs | 1M SQFT in Nashville Yards

ZestyEd

I was thinking that exact same thing. 

How many cities/states put a call into Delta as soon as that law was passed and said they would LOVE to set up a meeting about the possibilities and tax incentives that their city/state could put together to convince Delta to make a move. 

"Hey Face, I'm outta here!" - Love Nose

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WebberThomas4 said:

It doesn't help, but I'm not sure it will be a deal breaker.

Another way to look at this is Bezos could be targeting a place like Atlanta specifically because of BS like that, in order to tip the political scale with more transplants. 

Besides, I'm sure they already know what they'll be getting with a blue city in a red state (thus, these antics don't surprise them).

Edited by urbanplanet17

There is absolutely no possibility of Delta flushing decades worth of ties in the Atlanta region over a short-term political spat. Delta made a reasonable decision to express its neutrality in a hot political topic by removing their NRA deals (I’m pro-gun and I have no issue with it), but an idiotic decision to broadcast it on Twitter in a way that was sure to incite backlash. They made an error and it cost them some money, but it’ll be forgotten within a few months. Amazon would be foolish if this was a dealbreaker, Georgia is a wonderful state to do business in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

^ Delta is not going anywhere, but yes municipalities may try.

In theory, Delta could maintain their hub operations at ATL while just moving the HQ, on paper, to some place like Minneapolis or Detroit.

But it's unlikely. Plus, it would be devastating for the southern Atlanta suburbs that are Delta commuter towns.

16 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I trust corporations as far as I can throw them. I can't imagine that would matter to them, at all. 

Actually, Delta's been a relatively good corporate steward for Atlanta and Georgia (they're not like Amazon in Seattle). I think the impact any move would have on their hometown would go under some consideration.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

There is absolutely no possibility of Delta flushing decades worth of ties in the Atlanta region over a short-term political spat. Delta made a reasonable decision to express its neutrality in a hot political topic by removing their NRA deals (I’m pro-gun and I have no issue with it), but an idiotic decision to broadcast it on Twitter in a way that was sure to incite backlash. They made an error and it cost them some money, but it’ll be forgotten within a few months. Amazon would be foolish if this was a dealbreaker, Georgia is a wonderful state to do business in. 

My guess is broadcasting it on twitter will actually gain them more business than it would lose them.  The business people that live in big blue cities that are the majority of their profits are more likely to be on the anti gun side. 

14 minutes ago, samsonh said:

My guess is broadcasting it on twitter will actually gain them more business than it would lose them.  The business people that live in big blue cities that are the majority of their profits are more likely to be on the anti gun side. 

I'm skeptical that any consumer on either side is making long-term purchasing decisions based on policy changes like this. Among others, Delta may gain or lose business for a few days, but the public moves on to the next topic du jour and the position is forgotten. Overall, it's peanuts in the context of these corporations' yearly revenues.

It's just virtue-signaling to a world with a shrinking attention span.

• Like 3

Just now, PruneTracy said:

I'm skeptical that any consumer on either side is making long-term purchasing decisions based on policy changes like this. Among others, Delta may gain or lose business for a few days, but the public moves on to the next topic du jour and the position is forgotten. Overall, it's peanuts in the context of these corporations' yearly revenues.

It's just virtue-signaling to a world with a shrinking attention span.

Agreed. It will not make any difference to their earnings. 

44 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Most likely not. Business travelers make decisions about what airline to fly because of:

1. The airline their company has a corporate account with. 

2. Convenience in regards to time and availability. 

3. Price, if they’re a business owner or paying their own way. 

4. Preference of service. I.e. they may prefer American’s J class over United’s or Delta’s. 

Way way down the list is political stuff like this. Any business they gain from it is more than offset by the $40 million in annual tax breaks they’re going to lose. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

Most likely not. Business travelers make decisions about what airline to fly because of:

1. The airline their company has a corporate account with. 

2. Convenience in regards to time and availability. 

3. Price, if they’re a business owner or paying their own way. 

4. Preference of service. I.e. they may prefer American’s J class over United’s or Delta’s. 

Way way down the list is political stuff like this. Any business they gain from it is more than offset by the $40 million in annual tax breaks they’re going to lose. 

And Georgia will most likely pay a much larger bill than Delta due to this action, meaning other corporations will be hesitant to take the state at its word. 

Edited by samsonh
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would seriously doubt it. This decision where to locate is too huge to be decided over local politics. Obviously, the list was pared down to 20 with a mix of states with politics from both sides of the aisle. There are more important factors involved here such as land availability, transportation, talent accessibility and local contributions.

And in the end, Amazon will bring a tremendous influence on local politics that will serve to primarily protect it's own interests through sheer numbers of new voters (and their partners, family) and it's economic power. They would be wise to spread their HQ inventory into a couple of other congressional and legislative districts.

The only politics they are concerned about is the vote to approve their tax breaks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Fox17 news said that AMAZON is visiting the 20 finalist city’s now and a decision could be coming soon.  

They have been visiting cities over the past couple weeks with known visits to Boston and Washington DC already completed.

On another note, Amazon has leased 16 stories in a new building in Boston's Seaport with an option for another building in the future. Amazon currently has 1,200 employees in metro Boston/Cambridge with these two potential leases bringing in another 4,000 employees. Could this be an indication that they have already made their plans??

here is a link to the article on the boston storyline: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/02/27/amazon-negotiating-deal-that-could-bring-least-more-jobs-seaport/eCZvhGNTm88IBW6F6AnXTP/story.html

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ Welcome to the Forum, Bos2Nash.  Thanks for the info.  You are more than welcome to attend our Monthly Forum Meet-Up, which happens on the first Saturday of every month from 10 
AM to noon at Luna Llena Taqueria at 300 James Robertson Parkway (NW corner of JRP and 3rd Ave. North).  Our next gathering will be April 7th.   : )

• Like 2

Yes, welcome Bos'. I assume you moved here from Boston. If so, it will be nice to here your perspective on some of the local development issues.

I've been to Boston a few times and love it. If there was any super large cities I would compare Nashville to, I would say it's Boston, with the academic infrastructure, the alternative down towns (Back Bay/Theater District to Nashville's Mid-Town) and a thriving 24/7 urban experience. And they are both unique cities with their own particular character that is not matched elsewhere.

But nevertheless, go Preds and Titans!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nashvylle said:

By GOAT you are referring to Malcom Butler and Dion Lewis right? 

Are you saying Boston’s traffic is worse? 

Welcome to forum 

Touche! They definitely did good in terms of guaranteed money. I'm coming around to Patriots South, i mean the Titans.

Granted I have only been here since New Years and have a 15 minute walk to my office and in Boston I relied almost exclusively on the MBTA (subway) for commuting, I would say with 100% certainty that Boston traffic is worse, even with a functioning (mostly) public transit system. My apartment in Boston was about 8 miles south on I-93 (I-40/I-65 loop around downtown) and it was roughly 45-60 minutes drive and 40 minute subway ride. And thats with a packed public transit and semi regional rail network

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Touche! They definitely did good in terms of guaranteed money. I'm coming around to Patriots South, i mean the Titans.

Granted I have only been here since New Years and have a 15 minute walk to my office and in Boston I relied almost exclusively on the MBTA (subway) for commuting, I would say with 100% certainty that Boston traffic is worse, even with a functioning (mostly) public transit system. My apartment in Boston was about 8 miles south on I-93 (I-40/I-65 loop around downtown) and it was roughly 45-60 minutes drive and 40 minute subway ride. And thats with a packed public transit and semi regional rail network

Over time, let us know what you miss most about Boston and what you're loving about Nashville.  Gives us a perspective of what we're doing wrong / right from someone from the "outside."  Been to the NE many times...but Boston is the one big city I haven't been to yet.

• Like 2

A very detailed assessment using multiple metrics. My apologies if this has previously been posted.

The "Big Three" using this analysis (there are many other ways to look at it) are: Austin, Raleigh and Boston. Also, D.C. does fairly well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/business/amazon-hq2-tech-cities/?utm_term=.c64df6b7e5f1

• Like 1